Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gotta love that the club gets it right with Gibson, Hale, Lake, Dew, Spangher, Burgoyne, Impey, Mitchell, O’Meara, Henderson, McEvoy etc - but get it wrong with Vickery and now every recruit must be treated with trepidation. Makes perfect sense.
We beat GWS easily what makes sense? I love how the club wont die wondering. Chad arrived with a 'superstar' tag. People are impatient. Its a melting pot in here.

I think fitness is the issue atm and he need to find some touch before coming back in.

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We beat GWS easily what makes sense? I love how the club wont die wondering. Chad arrived with a 'superstar' tag. People are impatient. Its a melting pot in here.

I think fitness is the issue atm and he need to find some touch before coming back in.

Did he really arrive with a 'superstar' tag? For me, plenty of that was done on our own accord. Now it seems if anyone suggests otherwise the majority just try and s**t on them because it's critical.

My take is he has been a frustrating player in his final two seasons at Port Adelaide. Well short of the 'superstar' tag of seasons prior, and nowhere near the top 50 players in the game.

It's too early to judge him at Hawthorn, he has obviously had an injury in pre-season. But it's completely reasonable to question will we be getting the superstar All-Australian or the solid player of the past two seasons. The superstar hasn't been seen for two and a bit seasons now. It's not just his brief time in brown and gold.

teddies

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did he really arrive with a 'superstar' tag? For me, plenty of that was done on our own accord. Now it seems if anyone suggests otherwise the majority just try and **** on them because it's critical.

My take is he has been a frustrating player in his final two seasons at Port Adelaide. Well short of the 'superstar' tag of seasons prior, and nowhere near the top 50 players in the game.

It's too early to judge him at Hawthorn, he has obviously had an injury in pre-season. But it's completely reasonable to question will we be getting the superstar All-Australian or the solid player of the past two seasons. The superstar hasn't been seen for two and a bit seasons now. It's not just his brief time in brown and gold.

Like anything, you expect to get what you paid for. Given what we paid, I would be a little disappointed with solid.

He just needs time to settle.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lots and lots of worrying about chad. Be patient he'll show us why we invested in him.

A player with the confidence to take that dribble shot from the pocket (against north) in his first game for his new club is a player with the confidence to succeed.

Because people are idiots.... Always have been, always will be.

Although what you say is true, people are more than within their rights to discuss preliminary results from a small test sample on a football forum. As long as they are aware preliminary results on a small test sample doesnt carry much weight.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Well what a poor leader of a club he is then. A list the length of your arm of problems about one player... (who doesn’t do preseasons... doesn’t train... has poor relationships with coaches & team mates... doesn’t watch footy...plays too much x box..) in a season that you finish well down the ladder... and you never ONCE make a statement by dropping him or punishing him.
Says a lot more about Hinkley than the player I’d think.The board must surely have Hinkley on notice for gifting the player 21 matches last year. And what does it say about Clarko & our disgraceful lack of due diligence?
When did he write this “list”? About Oct 11 me thinks.
Relax dude, it’s not the end or the start of the world, I’m talking about the ‘Exit’ interviews , not in season stuff. Anyway, ports loss our gain.

Fastback

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2006
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I'm in the same boat, will need a lot of convincing...

Nothing has changed.

Soft, unaccountable, selfish, lazy...like he was at Port. Picking a ball up off the ground and snapping truly from 20m does not make a star.

Have never rated the bloke and simply, is not Hawthorn material.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
i agree Chad will be a very good player for us, i just like to remind people that it cost us 10-14 years of Ryan Burton, Xavier Duursma(Port) + Tom Joyce(Bris) for 5-6 years of Chad Wingards hopefully highly skilled efforts and was it worth it? we will wait and see, i hope so...

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i agree Chad will be a very good player for us, i just like to remind people that it cost us 10-14 years of Ryan Burton, Xavier Duursma(Port) + Tom Joyce(Bris) for 5-6 years of Chad Wingards hopefully highly skilled efforts and was it worth it? we will wait and see, i hope so...

Burton’s career is not going to span another 10-14 years.
At 20 he was being managed to get up every week. He does 40-50% run/weight bare load of the squad.
Who knows about the others... complete guess work.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gotta love that the club gets it right with Gibson, Hale, Lake, Dew, Spangher, Burgoyne, Impey, Mitchell, O’Meara, Henderson, McEvoy etc - but get it wrong with Vickery and now every recruit must be treated with trepidation. Makes perfect sense.
I think the list above shows that in regards to trading we get it right we get it very right and when we get it wrong we get it very wrong indeed (a high risk / high reward style one might say).

But overall the club tends to get more right than wrong which is what trading is all about.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Trades are not done in isolation, we keep Burton no Scrimshaw. Also you're dreamin if you think Burton will play for 14 more years and let's no even begin to count the folly of assuming Hawthorn pick Duursma.

We're a better team with the trades we did last season and I do them again in a heart beat, also the less Burton type characters at the club the better.

Aug 11, 2013
Brisbane QLD
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona
Trades are not done in isolation, we keep Burton no Scrimshaw. Also you're dreamin if you think Burton will play for 14 more years and let's no even begin to count the folly of assuming Hawthorn pick Duursma.

We're a better team with the trades we did last season and I do them again in a heart beat, also the less Burton type characters at the club the better.
"...also the less Burton type characters at the club the better."
Care to explain please?

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Anyway back to Chad.

I hope he gets fit soon. Disappointing if we chucked him in early when not quite fit.

Although I do recall Clarko saying pre-season we are not sure how much fitness he needs to play, every player is different but from our understanding he is on the 'low side' of fitness to impact games. We perhaps saw that low fitness against NM where he ended a game but after that perhaps we (read that correctly as our coaching staff) expected too much. That game probably showed what he could do if half fit, but it also took away the fact he can't do it every week if half fit.

Long Term I'm not concerned. However talk to me long term, so in a year or three and we are in the same spot with Chad... then my mind will change... but to be honest I'll wear the mistake IF that happens, I'll wear it for Burgoyne, Lake, Hale, Gibson, McEvoy, Frawley et al. The same way the Bulldogs will wear tonight their biggest waste of money ever based on games played in Tom Boyd a bloke who almost never turned up to a game, except some preliminary final where he was best on ground by a mile and a GF where he was certainly in the top three that day two. It's all relative ppl.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Such a horrid start to life at Hawthorn given we effectively gave up two 1st rounders and pick swapped our 2nd rounder for a 3rd rounder, missed 4/9 games so far and has really had very limited influence in the 5 games he's played. I went into bat defending this trade, it's early days but we couldn't have asked for a worse start to be honest.

Such a horrid start to life at Hawthorn given we effectively gave up two 1st rounders and pick swapped our 2nd rounder for a 3rd rounder, missed 4/9 games so far and has really had very limited influence in the 5 games he's played. I went into bat defending this trade, it's early days but we couldn't have asked for a worse start to be honest.

I'm baffled about comments like this. If you really were 'into bat' defending this trade you'd realise that 9 games is a horrible sample size to judge the quality of the trade on.

Players are investments, it takes some time to get to know your new team, new structures and new workplace. It's been a poor start sure, but it's pretty par for the course for most new blokes at the club.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And Burton has now cost Port with his well known/cant be coached fat headed ill discipline v Richmond that did see him cop an earful.
He twinkle toed his way through the Pies match and his suspect body has broken down again.

For all those bemoaning his loss... Scrimmers will be double the player without the FIGJAM attitude, with a sound body... an ability to crack in & body the ball... at half the cost.
Bloody hell Im happy with Scrimmerz. Fits us like a glove

I actually think all of our new recruits are fricken awesome. Great off season excepting Tommy’s injury

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol

Time to bump the Burgers trade thread from 2010 I say

And the Josh Gibson one

And the Lake one

No offence - but why are some posters like you so darn impatient and short term in your view? Wingard might not work out - who knows - but are you seriously saying that this amount of games in season one is the testing ground for predicting future output?

The media has progressively become short term on everything - not just football. I say don’t be a victim of this thinking HR

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lake missed the first month, Burgoyne missed the first 2 months. Gibbo was injured for half his first season and didnt do a huge amount in the games he played.

So the instant expectation really is a bit silly.

Im sure if I look through many of our other recruits they will have taken a while to get up to speed.
1558045107180.gif

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyway back to Chad.

I hope he gets fit soon. Disappointing if we chucked him in early when not quite fit.

Although I do recall Clarko saying pre-season we are not sure how much fitness he needs to play, every player is different but from our understanding he is on the 'low side' of fitness to impact games. We perhaps saw that low fitness against NM where he ended a game but after that perhaps we (read that correctly as our coaching staff) expected too much. That game probably showed what he could do if half fit, but it also took away the fact he can't do it every week if half fit.

Long Term I'm not concerned. However talk to me long term, so in a year or three and we are in the same spot with Chad... then my mind will change... but to be honest I'll wear the mistake IF that happens, I'll wear it for Burgoyne, Lake, Hale, Gibson, McEvoy, Frawley et al. The same way the Bulldogs will wear tonight their biggest waste of money ever based on games played in Tom Boyd a bloke who almost never turned up to a game, except some preliminary final where he was best on ground by a mile and a GF where he was certainly in the top three that day two. It's all relative ppl.

I doubt youd find too many Dogs supporters over the age of 50 who would say Boyd was a bad deal. Even age 40.

He was the clear NS winner that day too. Totally robbed by idiots who only look at stats.

Back