Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
agreed, but at the same time its not easy to just replace 5-7 of those players, let alone get back into contention without them. Having said that, hawthorn has been able to replace lost players quite effectively in the past, so we'll see.

We have no choice mate, hence this off-season (where we are an average side and have war chest of cash) is bloody the most important off-season since the 2004 season.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Burgoyne sticking around to help the likes of Wingard happy at the club.

I posted this weeks ago, Silk is signing on for 2020. Wingard will be happy about that.

Chad and Jarman will be the main reason the club give Silk another season at least, he is the "elder" for them and keeps them mentally in a good space, it's actually genius from the club. I fear that when Silk goes Chad could fall off a cliff and Jars may struggle, both need a cuddle.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Chad is a gun.
Hated him as a Port player ripping us apart yet loved his ability.
Rough start? Yes
I mentioned before the port game that he should have been placed on ice to do a mini preseason & go hard at it after the bye.
We aren’t doing any damage this year to make finals so the hammy that I hope is only a 2 week recovery takes 5-6 to get that fitness right up there & hit the last handful of games with confidence looking at 2020 & a massive pre-season to play in the midfield.

Burton 2019... star
Burton 2018... a bit soft for me
Shirked a few contests & didn’t really bounce back after knocking Higgins into next week as the turning point. From there on out he wasn’t the same player IMO.
If he had attitude on himself, who cares.. the kid could play.
After Higgins I would have to assume that there might not have been enough the support there from the club & leadership group where the incident clearly affected him & may have left Ryan with a large bout of guilt & remorse to work through as an individual.
I want to reiterate that this is purely speculation on Ryan & I do apologies if I am wrong but Burton didnt attack the contest the same after Higgins.
I hope Burton has a great career as well as The Chad being a Superstar player at Hawthorn.
Win win for both clubs

Our medical/elite performance staff has taken an obvious hit with Jack leaving, that being said I am hoping (and believe) that another pre-season under the Hawthorn way will have Chad primed. I think it's blatantly obvious that Chad plays his best footy as a mid first and a forward 2nd, he is unbelievably dynamic with ball in hand and is good inside the contest.

We need him fit enough to be a high impact player that plays through the middle and then goes forward, ala Michael Walters.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our medical/elite performance staff has taken an obvious hit with Jack leaving, that being said I am hoping (and believe) that another pre-season under the Hawthorn way will have Chad primed. I think it's blatantly obvious that Chad plays his best footy as a mid first and a forward 2nd, he is unbelievably dynamic with ball in hand and is good inside the contest.

We need him fit enough to be a high impact player that plays through the middle and then goes forward, ala Michael Walters.

I said this exact same thing before he even played a game in our colours.

There's little doubt he'd be perfect in this type of role and would probably outshine the above mentioned.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Has broken down each time his body has been pushed, calf or hammy. Hopefully the fitness staff can do more Rioli and less O'Rourke with him...

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have no choice mate, hence this off-season (where we are an average side and have war chest of cash) is bloody the most important off-season since the 2004 season.
yep, agreed. Absolutely need some more jarman impey-type trades where we identify talent, steal it at a good price and then morph it into borderline eliteness.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I said this exact same thing before he even played a game in our colours.

There's little doubt he'd be perfect in this type of role and would probably outshine the above mentioned.

Michael Walters for mine is the best Mid/Fwd in the league presently, better than current Dusty, Robbie Gray and Isaac Heeney, if Chad could get to that level we’ll all be doing back flips

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Michael Walters for mine is the best Mid/Fwd in the league presently, better than current Dusty, Robbie Gray and Isaac Heeney, if Chad could get to that level we’ll all be doing back flips

As it currently stands your certainly correct, however he's only been performing at his current output for the first half of this season.

I'd probably wait a little longer before saying he's a better player than those you've mentioned.

He definitely has the potential to be though if he can find some much needed consistency and stay on the park 😁

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A proper pre-season and a year understanding how we play will help him immensely. Next year is our year with Mitch back, COGS and a fully firing Chad. If only we could snare a quality tall to go with them to top it off.

Hopefully a fully firing CHAD happens in 2019, too.

(Will this board self-implode if Cogs doesn't make it to Hawthorn. The amount of people thinking he's already signed... )

Just popped in here to see if there was any talk about Mitch Lewis & it looks like you lot have filed the Chad thread with Chad talk as well.

I'll hop on over now to the Jackson Ross thread for an update on Birch's knee.

Chad and Jarman will be the main reason the club give Silk another season at least, he is the "elder" for them and keeps them mentally in a good space, it's actually genius from the club. I fear that when Silk goes Chad could fall off a cliff and Jars may struggle, both need a cuddle.
Geezuz, so Burgoyne is literally being kept around to look after the mentally weak Aboriginal boys who can’t stay “on the straight and narrow” without him.

Is that what you’re trying to say?

Geezuz, so Burgoyne is literally being kept around to look after the mentally weak Aboriginal boys who can’t stay “on the straight and narrow” without him.

That’s exactly what he’s saying
I’m sure when he’s posting on this forum he only uses one hand to type such is his inflated view of himself

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just popped in here to see if there was any talk about Mitch Lewis & it looks like you lot have filed the Chad thread with Chad talk as well.

I'll hop on over now to the Jackson Ross thread for an update on Birch's knee.
Which thread do I visit to get my Rayden Tallis fix?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
i didnt want us to trade for Wingard, i was HOPING we would go to the draft, but now that we traded away high value pieces for him, can he please play good footy? cmon Wingard!

Graeme Wright is somehow in a position of power as list manager after being our head of recruiting for some barren years, how to fail upwards? at least he can give away all our draft picks to get a deal done.....

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

If you don’t think the club don’t leverage Silk in that way then that’s your prerogative..

It’s not about being mentally weak, you said that, not me but if you want that to be part of the narrative then so be it. It’s about indigenous boys having a role model and someone they respect around them, it’s about them feeling comfortable in their surrounds.

Indigenous boys have a harder time adjusting, it’s accepted and expected that they have stronger support networks. Silk is a huge part of that whether you like to believe it or not.

If you don’t think the club don’t leverage Silk in that way then that’s your prerogative..

It’s not about being mentally weak, you said that, not me but if you want that to be part of the narrative then so be it. It’s about indigenous boys having a role model and someone they respect around them, it’s about them feeling comfortable in their surrounds.

Indigenous boys have a harder time adjusting, it’s accepted and expected that they have stronger support networks. Silk is a huge part of that whether you like to believe it or not.
So if the club do this then why didn't the club stick Dayle Garlett with Burgoyne rather than Hodge?

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So if the club do this then why didn't the club stick Dayle Garlett with Burgoyne rather than Hodge?

Well in life (you know that thing we do?) people/organisations make bad choices and wrong decisions. One would assume (only using factual based evidence of course) that that Garlett recruitment was exactly that.

Would you like to offer up something contrary to that?

“Both need a cuddle”.

You wrote that.

“Both need a cuddle”.

You wrote that.
Also that without Burgoyne there to give it they will both go to water and stop being able to football.
He must have been sneaking back to Port for years otherwise how could Imps and Chad have been able to play!

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
“Both need a cuddle”.

You wrote that.

You didn’t even reply diligently to my post...

Need a cuddle? Every bloody person needs some empathy and cuddling in life, its not a confined statement. I’m not sure where you’re headed with this but it’s not making sense to me, I’m saying it’s green and you’re telling me green is actually sarcoline.

Last edited:
Well in life (you know that thing we do?) people/organisations make bad choices and wrong decisions. One would assume (only using factual based evidence of course) that that Garlett recruitment was exactly that.

Would you like to offer up something contrary to that?
Contrary to what? That recruiting Garlett was a mistake? Sure, it didn't work out but it was always a high risk, high reward move. I don't mind the club taking a risk like that when the list was in as good a shape as it was and it only cost us an end of 2nd round pick.

But you're the one who has suggested Burgoyne is some mystical "elder" who the club uses to keep our younger, indigenous players from mentally collapsing. So I put to you that if this is something he does and is something the club uses him for - it being the "main reason" (your words) the club offers him another year - then why wasn't Dayle Garlett sent to live with Burgoyne instead of Hodge? Why hasn't the club gone ahead and recruited every talented indigenous player with issues (eg. Sydney Stack, Harley Bennell, Chris Yarran, etc.) knowing that Burgoyne would be able to help them focus on being great players with professional lifestyles?

The reason is because Burgoyne is just one of many great leaders our club has had over the past decade since his arrival. A great leader of all types of people and he just so happens to be indigenous. There's no doubt he's a fantastic role model for indigenous youth, but it's disrespectful to him to suggest that the main reason he'd be playing next year is because he's required to be around to prevent Wingard and Impey from "falling off a cliff" and "struggling". It's even more disrespectful to Wingard and Impey. They've both played the majority of their careers without Burgoyne around to "cuddle" them, and have still managed to play great footy and maintain a lifestyle that has allowed them to play regularly at AFL level.

Back