Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

All of you people complaining about the racist card, ask yourself one thing. What is the evidence that Impey and Wingard will fall off the rails without Burgoyne? Has it happened in their careers before? At Hawthorn OR Port?

What makes it plausible that they will fall off the rails without Burgoyne?

There is no evidence whatsoever, except for one central fact. They are indigenous.

This is apparently all the evidence you need for them suddenly losing the plot like little children without their dad around.

C'mon, if you can't see there are some deeply embedded negative racial stereotypes going on here, you need to reflect.

The only one clutching at straws here is the guy posting an article about a 36 yr old having a mentoring role as some form of evidence that it’s correct to say that without Burgoyne around Impey and Chad would fall off a cliff, because “they need a cuddle”.

Na, you’re the individual who quoted a post from over a week ago when thousands of others read it and didn’t think to make a statement.. you’re the one who is sensationalising something in order to create this discussion, really the clutching at straws is done from your end.

Listen, I respect that you may have somehow misconstrued my post, in all reality there was absolutely no racial undertone or motivation behind my post. I could literally, without reservation say the exact same thing about Kouta/Christou and Hanna back in the Carlton days, if they didn’t have their own clique of intimate support would they have succeeded like they did? They very well may have needed to constant cuddle and nurture each other.. by me saying that is it racially motivated? I mean this is just how ridiculous the world has become, and also a key reason why the west and the majority vote in right leaning governments.

This is a genuinely worthwhile discussion, it highlights the faults on both sides.

All of you people complaining about the racist card, ask yourself one thing. What is the evidence that Impey and Wingard will fall off the rails without Burgoyne? Has it happened in their careers before? At Hawthorn OR Port?

What makes it plausible that they will fall off the rails without Burgoyne?

There is no evidence whatsoever, except for one central fact. They are indigenous.

This is apparently all the evidence you need for them suddenly losing the plot like little children without their dad around.

C'mon, if you can't see there are some deeply embedded negative racial stereotypes going on here, you need to reflect.

See I could counter you by saying that Chad was falling off the rails a tad (in football sense) at Port, his attitude came into question, he had a falling out with Robbie Gray, his coach wanted him out and there was all sorts of rumours and innuendo about how he was conducting himself.

I’d also say that Jars had a father figure in Trengove at the club, he is obviously very close to Jarman and has been a massive support. Impey had every right to spiral after losing his father, the guy went through hell and the support of someone like Trengove (and now Silk) can’t be understated.

I for one think it’s mastery by the club to give Silk another year, like I said even if it is to be an integral part of the support network of both Chad and Impey.. My original post may have been flippant, however it could have been about anyone, the fact you genuinely believe it was due to their indigenous background says more about your preconceived thoughts on them than mine.

PS. Do yourself a favour a look at my posts of support to Adam Goodes during his disgraceful boo days to get a real idea on my views... nothing short of disgraceful the way he was treated and I made my views known for all to see.

Na, you’re the individual who quoted a post from over a week ago when thousands of others read it and didn’t think to make a statement.. you’re the one who is sensationalising something in order to create this discussion, really the clutching at straws is done from your end.
I’m the one who saw the racist undertone in your post.

I make no apology for that, no matter how long it took me to visit and read this thread.

You need to reflect on what you said and why.

Listen, I respect that you may have somehow misconstrued my post, in all reality there was absolutely no racial undertone or motivation behind my post.
We’ll just forget that you hypothesized that two Aboriginal players in our side would fall off a cliff unless they had Burgoyne around to give them a cuddle.

I could literally, without reservation say the exact same thing about Kouta/Christou and Hanna back in the Carlton days, if they didn’t have their own clique of intimate support would they have succeeded like they did? They very well may have needed to constant cuddle and nurture each other.. by me saying that is it racially motivated?
You’ve just lumped a bunch of players together once more due to their ethnicities...you be the judge.

I mean this is just how ridiculous the world has become, and also a key reason why the west and the majority vote in right leaning governments.

This is a genuinely worthwhile discussion, it highlights the faults on both sides.
Racial undertones and stereotypes being called out is “the world going mad” to some, I get it.

You wouldn’t say these things to Chad or Jarman’s face, so how about we just call it showing common decency.

I’m the one who saw the racist undertone in your post.

I make no apology for that, no matter how long it took me to visit and read this thread.

You need to reflect on what you said and why.

We’ll just forget that you hypothesized that two Aboriginal players in our side would fall off a cliff unless they had Burgoyne around to give them a cuddle.

You’ve just lumped a bunch of players together once more due to their ethnicities...you be the judge.

Racial undertones and stereotypes being called out is “the world going mad” to some, I get it.

You wouldn’t say these things to Chad or Jarman’s face, so how about we just call it showing common decency.

I’d have no dramas telling anyone my thoughts, if you think I’d be reserved or have some concern for repercussions because they are footballers then I can assure you you’re wrong.. I know categorically without hesitation that there was zero, absolutely zero racial undertone in my post. If you’d like to point out my history of racially motivated posts them I’m all ears.

You are the one and only person who quoted the post, I respect the way you feel but I also think you’re way off the mark, actually I don’t even think you even have a mark to hit but that’s fine.

I for one think it’s mastery by the club to give Silk another year, like I said even if it is to be an integral part of the support network of both Chad and Impey.. My original post may have been flippant, however it could have been about anyone, the fact you genuinely believe it was due to their indigenous background says more about your preconceived thoughts on them than mine.

Could have been about anyone, eh?

What about all our other young non-indigenous players? Won't they need someone like Roughy to have another year, so they don't also fall off the rails?

I’d have no dramas telling anyone my thoughts, if you think I’d be reserved or have some concern for repercussions because they are footballers then I can assure you you’re wrong.. I know categorically without hesitation that there was zero, absolutely zero racial undertone in my post. If you’d like to point out my history of racially motivated posts them I’m all ears.

You are the one and only person who quoted the post, I respect the way you feel but I also think you’re way off the mark, actually I don’t even think you even have a mark to hit but that’s fine.
I don’t think you’d tell Chad and Jarman that they’ll fall off a cliff without Burgoyne because you’re not stupid.

It’s got nothing to do with them being footballers, it’s got to do with you knowing that it’s a disparaging comment that you wouldn’t say to someone.

There was a clear racial undertone and implication to your post, whether you choose to accept it or not.

I don’t think you’d tell Chad and Jarman that they’ll fall off a cliff without Burgoyne because you’re not stupid.

It’s got nothing to do with them being footballers, it’s got to do with you knowing that it’s a disparaging comment that you wouldn’t say to someone.

There was a clear racial undertone and implication to your post, whether you choose to accept it or not.

Na not even a slight racial undertone so I don’t accept it at all.

Have those messages of support helped you not fall off a cliff?

My cliff has come many times, no doubt many more... if not for my mother and wife I’d doubt I’d be in the position I am. They are both mixed race to believe or not 🤷‍♂️

Could have been about anyone, eh?

What about all our other young non-indigenous players? Won't they need someone like Roughy to have another year, so they don't also fall off the rails?

Quite possibly, yes... Ruff has no doubt some enormously valuable leadership qualities that would help all players, but specifically red heads may benefit more.. because you know, red heads and all are the same #Racist

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty disappointing to read the tone over the last few pages. Think we can all agree it’s been a shaky start for Chad and we all want to see him deliver his best. That will require a combination of getting his body right, learning the game plan, finding the right role for him in the team, having the right team balance, and being in the right head space. I have no idea whether the latter is a challenge for Chad (it is for many in the AFL as we are starting to learn), but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if having the right mentorship network around him is an important piece in the puzzle. And yes, Shaun B is undoubtedly an important role model for many in HFC, indigenous and non indigenous, and we should absolutely have a succession plan in place for when he leaves. I have no doubt the exit of strong leaders like Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson etc in the last few years has been a factor in our inconsistency in the last few years, so we would be remiss not to recognize that.

Anyway, let’s all get behind him to be the game breaker we know he can be. I’m still hopeful we will look back on him as Burgoyne mk II in 10 years time.

Back to Chad:

Did anyone hear that Wingard is such a cheapskate that he plays Freecell and Solitaire, rather than pay for proper computer games?

What a bust this turned out to be.

Pretty disappointing to read the tone over the last few pages. Think we can all agree it’s been a shaky start for Chad and we all want to see him deliver his best. That will require a combination of getting his body right, learning the game plan, finding the right role for him in the team, having the right team balance, and being in the right head space. I have no idea whether the latter is a challenge for Chad (it is for many in the AFL as we are starting to learn), but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if having the right mentorship network around him is an important piece in the puzzle. And yes, Shaun B is undoubtedly an important role model for many in HFC, indigenous and non indigenous, and we should absolutely have a succession plan in place for when he leaves. I have no doubt the exit of strong leaders like Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson etc in the last few years has been a factor in our inconsistency in the last few years, so we would be remiss not to recognize that.

Anyway, let’s all get behind him to be the game breaker we know he can be. I’m still hopeful we will look back on him as Burgoyne mk II in 10 years time.

I have no doubt this lad will come good, every time he touches the footy something more dynamic or exciting takes place.. he needs to find the spot he belongs in, I said a while back he is the perfect mid/fwd, in my eyes he needs to mirror Michael Walters.

Walters doesn’t have the tank of others, Chad the same, but Walters has really found his zen in footy and understands what and how to execute his game.

Chad will get there, but his 2019 so far has been disappointing for both he and the club.

I think it's time to get this Chad Wingard thread back on track, hopefully we can discuss the severity of his hamstring injury soon.
True.

Why was there no BUPA report this week? Normally, it's like clockwork every Tuesday about 5.

I think it's time to get this Chad Wingard thread back on track, hopefully we can discuss the severity of his hamstring injury soon.
I had so much hope after the Norf game. Since then very little. This guy is a gun but like many a man he has potential to squander his talent through ........well whatever reason (maybe a lack of professionalism?). Hopefully he can get inspired by Ash Barty. An absolute gun who has gotten the best out of herself. At his best I’ve always rated the Chad. Cmon mate - pull the finger out.

Yes, I'm serious.

People are commenting on a post that implies mature indigenous players, by their very nature, could go off the rails for no reason, with no other basis than their race.

There's another angle to this that perhaps we should consider. What if, and it's a big if... What if he wasn't casting aspersions on their race but rather their club of origin. There's every likelihood that someone in the Port Adelaide system may well show signs of being a complete knob and Burgoyne has shown some resistance to that, and could help these guys through this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back