Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard hasn't played good footy up forward since 2015. Stick him in the middle full-time and you'll see how good he is. Whether he's fit enough for that yet I don't know.
He's not a forward pocket. He's just not. Continue to play him there and this is what you'll continue to get. Put him in the middle and you might get what you paid for.
If that's what you recruited him as you shouldn't have bothered recruiting him. 2015 was a long time ago.

Chad Wingard from Rounds 1-11 last year when played up forward: 69.8 ranking points per game
Chad Wingard from Rounds 12-23 when played in the middle: 102.75 ranking points per game
Chad Wingard up to Round 7 at Hawthorn playing up forward: 65 ranking points per game.

There was a time when he was a very good forward pocket. That time has passed.
When Wingard was last All-Australian, so were Josh Gibson, Robert Murphy, Matt Priddis, Sam Mitchell and Brett Deledio. Things change. He's a very different player now with a very different body type and skill set to what he had four years ago.

'Wingard is a midfielder' is the hill I will die on. He doesn't even play for my club anymore and it still pisses me off to see him wasting away in a forward role that he's no longer suited for and he hasn't been for some time. He was playing so poorly there for us last year that was serious talk that he might be dropped, then he went into the middle and dominated the second half of the year, scored more B&F votes than any other mid on our list over that period after not even being in the top 10 after the first half of the season. Then he moves to Hawthorn, goes back to the forward pocket, and there's talk of him being dropped again. It's not a coincidence.

Clarkson may well have originally brought him in to be a forward, but he's a very smart guy and it won't take him long to figure out that in 2019 he's a midfielder. Looked like he played that role more on the weekend and it was probably the best game he's played for the Hawks so far. Keep him there and he'll play plenty of better games than that one. He certainly did for us last year.

Told you.

Told you.

He was playing forward pocket because he had no tank. Im pretty sure Clarko always wanted him rotating regularly.

Frawley is probably our only player who only has one role.

Chad had a great game last night. Always willing to get in and under and isnt afraid the break tackles. Still gets caught sometimes but when he's 100% he will be a gun again.

Easily his best game for the club last night. Cracked in all night and his skills on a wet night were a class above anyone else on the field.

From the last couple of games it appears obvious Chad is a midfielder / forward rather than a direct replacement for Cyril.

The difference to how he is playing now fit compared to the start of the year is amazing.

He plays like this for 2020 and the trade is a win.

Clarkson is actually a miracle worker. Hes hardened up Wingard better than Hinkley ever could. Everyone says Hinkley is a leader of men Clarkson makes players hit puberty twice.

Never would Ken make Wingard not wear longsleeves in conditions like that he didnt have the balls to. Not saying Chad was soft but i was actually gobsmacked when he didnt have one on as he usually does, infact i think no one in your team did.

The even better thing is Wingard embraced it and played a ripper for you bloke. Shows that Clarkson is doing what he does best and is turning Chads career around as he does to all his players so kudos to him and your team

Elated to see Wingard hitting his straps and doing so well. I fear you blokes in 2020 when your midfield consists of wingard mitchell scully omeara worpel and no doubt youll either trade or draft another ripper player. All the best

Clarkson is actually a miracle worker. Hes hardened up Wingard better than Hinkley ever could. Everyone says Hinkley is a leader of men Clarkson makes players hit puberty twice.

Never would Ken make Wingard not wear longsleeves in conditions like that he didnt have the balls to. Not saying Chad was soft but i was actually gobsmacked when he didnt have one on as he usually does, infact i think no one in your team did.

The even better thing is Wingard embraced it and played a ripper for you bloke. Shows that Clarkson is doing what he does best and is turning Chads career around as he does to all his players so kudos to him and your team

Elated to see Wingard hitting his straps and doing so well. I fear you blokes in 2020 when your midfield consists of wingard mitchell scully omeara worpel and no doubt youll either trade or draft another ripper player. All the best
Thanks mate. Burton a ripper too. A win win trade. Plus Duursma looks gold.

I've seen a few comments saying his last 2 games have been great. That's just ridiculous. His last 4 games have been brilliant! Since coming back from injury, from the Geelong game onwards he's been in our best 2 (shaded only by Worpel each time).

Wasn't sure how I felt giving up Burton for him at the time, but I have absolutely no issue with what we paid now. I feel he's far more dynamic than Shiel would have been in our midfield, even with him travelling well at Essendon.

Great to watch!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back