Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen a few comments saying his last 2 games have been great. That's just ridiculous. His last 4 games have been brilliant! Since coming back from injury, from the Geelong game onwards he's been in our best 2 (shaded only by Worpel each time).

Wasn't sure how I felt giving up Burton for him at the time, but I have absolutely no issue with what we paid now. I feel he's far more dynamic than Shiel would have been in our midfield, even with him travelling well at Essendon.

Great to watch!
He has that X factor no matter if he’s in the middle or up forward.
A few times last night he won the clearance and was able to withstand a few tackles to kick it forward into good positions.
Definitely starting to prove the doubters wrong

He’s playing good footy. Is he ripping games apart? No.

He’s showing himself to be a very good Midfield option, especially at stoppages and he is a class user. We just need to get him hitting the scoreboard as a midfielder / half forward.

That will come. I’m confident next year he will be terrific for us

Just 66% gametime.

This isn't even his final form.

Huge return on numbers for such a small amount of game time. This is the player we saw from round 12 onward last year when he was moved back into the middle at Port.

He really provides the class, polish and dynamism that our (and all great) midfield needs.

If the best case scenario happens during the off season then our midfield will be instantly a top three midfield in the competition. And it will be one that Clarko can throw many different variations at opposition coaches.

Who do you tag out of Mitchell, Jaeger or Wingard? I don't think teams will tag Worpel, and good luck to them if they do.

If Coniglio is brought in do you tag him? If they tried to tag him or Wingard I imagine Clarko would tell them to take the target to the square, where both players are more than capable of kicking multiple goals.

Or maybe tag no one and just go head to head, let's see how that plays out.

Even if we don't sign Coniglio a midfield of Mitchell, Jaeger, Worpel and Wingard (and Shiels) can do it all.

Clarkson is actually a miracle worker. Hes hardened up Wingard better than Hinkley ever could. Everyone says Hinkley is a leader of men Clarkson makes players hit puberty twice.

Never would Ken make Wingard not wear longsleeves in conditions like that he didnt have the balls to. Not saying Chad was soft but i was actually gobsmacked when he didnt have one on as he usually does, infact i think no one in your team did.

The even better thing is Wingard embraced it and played a ripper for you bloke. Shows that Clarkson is doing what he does best and is turning Chads career around as he does to all his players so kudos to him and your team

Elated to see Wingard hitting his straps and doing so well. I fear you blokes in 2020 when your midfield consists of wingard mitchell scully omeara worpel and no doubt youll either trade or draft another ripper player. All the best

Love hearing this from opposition fans.

Clarkson loves Wingard and seemingly has for many years. In 2014 he was quoted saying if he could have any player it would be Wingard.

I think Wingard must see the faith and respect Clarko has in his ability - so it's about drawing all that out and Wingard in turn believing in Clarko's vision (for him).

He knows what kind of talent Wingard is - he's the kind you have a first rounder and another young prodigious (fan favourite) talent for.

He's looked very comfortable in traffic the last couple of weeks and has been able to put on the jets and break away from contests. We don't have many players like that, let alone ones that can then drill a pass to a moving target inside 50.
Wingard version 2020 will be worth the price of admission

Loved him from his first game. He lost his way a bit, but now putting in those 1% efforts which are making a huge difference to the team, as well as his own play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a quality midfielder these days, be interesting to see if he gets those quality forward line performances back if we got get those desired additions back into our midfield.

He's looked very comfortable in traffic the last couple of weeks and has been able to put on the jets and break away from contests. We don't have many players like that, let alone ones that can then drill a pass to a moving target inside 50.
Wingard version 2020 will be worth the price of admission

Probably the best player in traffic we’ve had since Sammy took his vacation in Perth.

He's a quality midfielder these days, be interesting to see if he gets those quality forward line performances back if we got get those desired additions back into our midfield.

Where we have had three genuine small forwards in the past, going to be more resting/rotating midfielders I suspect

I'm so completely sold now. What a trade. Very pleased with the quality and grunt of chad. We knew he could do the mercurial, and witnessed with his centre break to Rough. But it's his ground leading 7 tackles to well before half time that has won me over.

Can't wait for next year already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back