Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

In years gone by, midfielders did so much more running than forwards or defenders. With the way the game is played nowadays, has that gap narrowed? At a guess, I think it has. The type of metres you now have to cover as a mid probably allows for more players to have a stint on ball. I am of the view that Chad was initially traded to be a forward. But I reckon the club changed half way through this season and may now see him more as an on baller moving forward, still rotating up forward on occasion, but more use around the middle.

I recall him saying prior to the season start that he had dropped 8 or so kgs. And yet people are adamant he was unfit. And from afar, I think he may have dropped a further 3-5 kgs since mid season.

I reckon he is seen as a midfielder first and foremost now

This isn't some magical turnaround. This is the player he always was. Don't listen to the media.
Soo dumb aren’t they? He was playing midfield for you guys for the second half of the season and doing well too

Was like when the Swans “discovered Buddy playing up the ground” - which we did close to nearly all of 2013.

Starting to really fit in and even watching after games, rather than strolling off pretty much on his own, he is now with his team-mates.

O'Meara, Shiels, Worps, Tommy Mitchell, Wings, Howe... pretty handy on ball division.

Starting to really fit in and even watching after games, rather than strolling off pretty much on his own, he is now with his team-mates.

O'Meara, Shiels, Worps, Tommy Mitchell, Wings, Howe... pretty handy on ball division.

A lot less Howe and more Coniglio please

The burst out of the centre was nice - but that looping handball to Puopolo was a thing of skill that few players have

What better way to win the hearts of hawk fans that feed roughy a few goals in his retirement game.

Love this bloke. Always said he was a midfielder .

I remember the article earlier in the year criticizing hawks for a lack of midfield depth and for not doing anything about it in the trade period. I was going crazy highlighting Wingard and Scully are both A grade mids.

Also, O'Meara hasn't been right since about round 6. Was a beast in the early rounds and I reckon would have been rested an extra game or two if mitchell had been available. They'll all be better next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The burst out of the centre was nice - but that looping handball to Puopolo was a thing of skill that few players have

What better way to win the hearts of hawk fans that feed roughy a few goals in his retirement game.

Love this bloke. Always said he was a midfielder .

I remember the article earlier in the year criticizing hawks for a lack of midfield depth and for not doing anything about it in the trade period. I was going crazy highlighting Wingard and Scully are both A grade mids.

Also, O'Meara hasn't been right since about round 6. Was a beast in the early rounds and I reckon would have been rested an extra game or two if mitchell had been available. They'll all be better next year.

Agree completely regarding the floated handball. I thought the exact same thing when he did it.

And also (obviously) completely agree that he's a a midfielder.

Love how smooth he was and how quickly he recognized the gap Worpel's opponent left him, which he attacked instantly.

Watching him at the ground this year you truly appreciate how amazing his vision is. So often you’ll fail to understand why players won’t go a certain way or burn a teammate in the clear - Chad has an uncanny ability to make the right call almost every time.

Not a good look
To who? The only person who has any right to be bothered by it is Smith. And he didn't even react to it!

At the time, I thought it was going to pop over Rough's head, but it ended up being a perfectly weighted kick. Not a bad effort running at full speed!

A Mitchell, Coniglio, Worpel, O'Meara, Wingard midfield with Scully and Henderson on the outside is very very strong.

5 quality stoppage players, 4 ball magnets, all (importantly) good tacklers, a couple who could play defensive midfield roles if needed and a couple who are genuinely dangerous up forward in Wingard and Conliglio.

Not really seeing the umpire charity yet that drove us crazy as a port player.

But on the weekend towards the end of the game he appealed to the umpire foe a deliberate oob, after one had gone the other way. But it wasnt the arms out appeal ( the game wasnt hot anyway) but a cheeky quizzical look as if to say ‘you know you want to’

I dont see a brattish personality at all. People said he arked up on the kokoda track but he was wearing his kokoda hat for a few training sessions after that

A Mitchell, Coniglio, Worpel, O'Meara, Wingard midfield with Scully and Henderson on the outside is very very strong.

5 quality stoppage players, 4 ball magnets, all (importantly) good tacklers, a couple who could play defensive midfield roles if needed and a couple who are genuinely dangerous up forward in Wingard and Conliglio.

Shiels is still only 28 - best 6th man in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back