Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

dcutter

Club Legend
Mar 27, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Our midfield will be awesome next year whether Cogs arrives or not with Wingard joining Mitch. He just seems to bring something we've been missing and that is run, carry and the desire to take on the opposition.
Spot on he's got a unique evasive style that allows him to gets through gaps and release where he shouldn't. That shake and go low, turn and snap inside 50 is so enjoyable to watch.
Decision making and kicking is elite.

Absolute x factor is on point, will compliment a devastatingly strong midfield next year.

B0ydmental

It used to hurt
Sep 18, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you want some good reading, check the Port general chat thread. I like seeing them talk fondly of Chad and how good he is going :)
We said a year ago that Clarkson will wake up around 2/3rds through this season and realise the guy is a midfielder.

We Harbour no animosity for Chad. He would have had his career killed by ken Hinkley like Ken has for Dixon. Ryder. Motlop. Rockliff. Polec. Pittard. Wines. Pepper Powell. As in, make them actually worse players.

And Now we miss the 8 because ken is stubborn and put a premiership ruckman, lycett in the 2s because he challenged him.

Your only problem is Chad doesn't care for football much. Otherwise, and laugh if you will, his 80% effort is miles better than your Cyril ever was.

KAMSTAR HFC

Team Captain
Aug 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We said a year ago that Clarkson will wake up around 2/3rds through this season and realise the guy is a midfielder.

We Harbour no animosity for Chad. He would have had his career killed by ken Hinkley like Ken has for Dixon. Ryder. Motlop. Rockliff. Polec. Pittard. Wines. Pepper Powell. As in, make them actually worse players.

And Now we miss the 8 because ken is stubborn and put a premiership ruckman, lycett in the 2s because he challenged him.

Your only problem is Chad doesn't care for football much. Otherwise, and laugh if you will, his 80% effort is miles better than your Cyril ever was.

easy tiger

Tall Tales and True

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, West Ham Utd,
B0ydmental, I suppose I could agree with much of what you say, but, sadly, all credibility lost with final remark ... all of a sudden it just sounds like so much ranting & raving.

There was only one Cyril! (Please for the sake of all things good & holy, & your own tenuous hold on reality, please understand.)

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From where I sit, it looks like he cares quite a bit about playing for Hawthorn.
His work rate, speed and tackling are way higher than I had realised.
Always thought he was a bit of a medium paced plodder who just had exceptional positioning.

Maybe he switches off when he leaves the club, but that could be healthy for a lot of players these days.
I think he knows that he has a coach who loves him and a club that has a strong culture that wants the best for him.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
He was interesting in his post match interview; they asked him about all round funster and larikkin I.Omith and how it rubs off on everybody else and has a good effect on them ...Chad said something like ' Not really for me, I'm pretty competitive and take things more seriously'.

On SM-J330G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Different players, but laugh I will. Criminal how people forget where Cyril's output was tracking before hamstring troubles that literally forced him to be managed for the rest of his career and relearn how to run.

if Bont or Kelly (take your pick which one) used the ball like Chad did, tackled like Chad did and got it nearly 30 times like Chad did, everyone would be saying they'd be a lock for 3 Brownlow votes. His speed, skill, effort when playing as a full time mid is up there with the best of them. So glad we got him instead of the vanilla hack it forward at no one Dylan Shiel.

Don't see it at all. Position on the ground and stats are nothing alike.

I think he meant as in Chad's ability to do the freakish - like Cyril. I disagree that he outstrips Cyril here, or ever could - but I get where he is coming from.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just thought I should jump in here and post that Chad will be a star for Hawthorn so that I look like a genius, and you all look like fools when this thread gets bumped inevitably at the end of this year, and then countless times over the next 5 years as he puts in match winning performances and big finals games.

Part 1 complete, everyone is now on board that he is a star for us. Next step is his domination in finals in 2020 and beyond.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
if Bont or Kelly (take your pick which one) used the ball like Chad did, tackled like Chad did and got it nearly 30 times like Chad did, everyone would be saying they'd be a lock for 3 Brownlow votes. His speed, skill, effort when playing as a full time mid is up there with the best of them. So glad we got him instead of the vanilla hack it forward at no one Dylan Shiel.
Still thrilled we did not get Shiel. Seen him play a lot. Wingard anyday imo.

Braidz

All Australian
Sep 9, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I

In his first few games it looked like he didn’t care and wanted to do his own thing. To me it looks like he cares a whole lot now and his performances on field really show that

Back