HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Classic tackling technique - goes for the hips and the and not both arms, then drops the knees. Makes it harder for players to shrug into a high tackle, just as likely to either draw a holding the ball free, or create a stoppage.

Shits me that more players aren't capable of this, and makes me wonder who's teaching them.

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I now feel guilty thinking he was complete dick in his Port days. Seems like a good bloke besides a pretty good footy player.
Becoming one of my faves very quickly.

D1846A38-869A-4325-AF8D-213435ADCCA2.jpeg

The CHAD abides

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Not a major thing but I loved Scrimshaw awareness as he was running off the field, tried tapping the ball to Wingard. Just really smart thinking.

Good pick up.
Looks like Scrimmer is loving playing for his Hawks. Doubt GC would of got this effort out of him.

badgrill

Premiership Player
Jul 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Classic tackling technique - goes for the hips and the and not both arms, then drops the knees. Makes it harder for players to shrug into a high tackle, just as likely to either draw a holding the ball free, or create a stoppage.

s**ts me that more players aren't capable of this, and makes me wonder who's teaching them.
Seems like he pins the arm and half knocks the ball out himself to draw the free?

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
That was a serious first up season from the Chad. He kept elevating and elevating, right up to the last siren there in Perth.

Absolutely earned his Hawk's wings, an injury mishap or two aside.

He's the A-grade, dynamic mid that we needed, and worth every bit of what we paid to bring him over from the Dark side.

One more like Chad, and next year we have a premiership calibre midfield, factoring in natural improvement and the return of Mitchell V2.

Scissor4life

Senior List
Aug 25, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Scrimshaw could become our best player along with Chad. I really think his game smarts are unbelievable for his level of experience.
Thinking back to last year so many bagged Wrighty after the trading period...Chad was no good, Scrimshaw who and Scullys ankle was cactus..probably the same clowns who wanted Longer (just delisted) over Big Boy :p

Mar 2, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Tigers. G.S.W
The sting of not getting Cog is a hell of a lot less having watched this guy play midfield since his return from injury. He was outstanding if he can have an injury free run next year then and continue the level of play he showed then our midfield with the return of Mitchell another year for Worp to go with J.O.M Shiels Scully etc and our midfield is in the top bracket I.M.O

Wingard moved into the midfield full time against Geelong in Round 15 and since that game finished the season 6 wins and 2 losses as a result.

What Wingard did during those eight games probably turned our season around. I wonder how he will go alongside Mitchell next year?

Mitchell will get the number one tagger, O’Meara will have a better output as a result, Worpel will improve.

Although it’s unlikely to happen if we can somehow land Hill this trade period that would cap off a deep midfield group going into next year. Maginness will be icing on the cake.

Shiels 28
Mitchell 26
O’Meara 25
Wingard 25
Worpel 20

- - - -

Henderson 30
Scully 28
Impey 24
Howe 23
Cousins 21
Morrison 21
Jones 20
Maginness 18

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wingard moved into the midfield full time against Geelong in Round 15 and since that game finished the season 6 wins and 2 losses as a result.

What Wingard did during those eight games probably turned our season around. I wonder how he will go alongside Mitchell next year?

Mitchell will get the number one tagger, O’Meara will have a better output as a result, Worpel will improve.

Although it’s unlikely to happen if we can somehow land Hill this trade period that would cap off a deep midfield group going into next year. Maginness will be icing on the cake.

Shiels 28
Mitchell 26
O’Meara 25
Wingard 25
Worpel 20

- - - -

Henderson 30
Scully 28
Impey 24
Howe 23
Cousins 21
Morrison 21
Jones 20
Maginness 18

The most exciting part of 2019 was watching the Wingard/Worpel combination. They were both so good in contested situations (elite hands in close) and both burst from stoppages charging into the forward 50. They both had really good bursts of pace, both tackled like animals, and Wingard especially would show us his class. Adding the best accumulator in the game in Mitchell to that combination is such a tantalising prospect. I actually think the biggest beneficiary will be O'Meara who would be able to play more outside. We are also going to have pretty good depth - Howe/Cousins are solid, while Jones/Maginness could be anything.

It is a shame that we likely won't be getting Hilly. That inside midfield feeding it to two of the best endurance runners in the game (Scully/Hill) and to old man Henderson would have made us incredibly potent. And with the exception of Hendo everyone is still in a good age bracket too :(

Hawks851

Senior List
Jul 3, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Want him to play predominant mid next year, people can say what they like but 2018 & 2019 Wingard has proven to be a superior player when unleashed in the midfield.

cant like this enough. we dont need another midfielder and glad we didnt get cogs with mitchell coming back we have Jags,Chad,Titch,worpel in the middle with others to rotate that 4 will do the job nicely

cant like this enough. we dont need another midfielder and glad we didnt get cogs with mitchell coming back we have Jags,Chad,Titch,worpel in the middle with others to rotate that 4 will do the job nicely
the more guys we can roll through and the more depth we have to cover injuries the better.

We still need mids

Hawks851

Senior List
Jul 3, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
the more guys we can roll through and the more depth we have to cover injuries the better.

We still need mids

Shiels Cousins Jones Morrison etc are good depth will also pick up Maguinnes

probably need one or 2 but i wouldn't be trading first round picks or players to bring Midfielders in

Shiels Cousins Jones Morrison etc are good depth will also pick up Maguinnes

probably need one or 2 but i wouldn't be trading first round picks or players to bring Midfielders in
I'd not count Maginness until we draft him and see how he goes at AFL level.

Shiels is part of our starting midfield.

Cousins is the only inside depth that has played from your list, Jones looks likely but has to show he can make the step up from VFL to AFL.

Morrison looks to not have a position at the moment and has to show he has one next year, doesn't help us with our lack of pace in the middle either, same as Cousins

Hawks851

Senior List
Jul 3, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd not count Maginness until we draft him and see how he goes at AFL level.

Shiels is part of our starting midfield.

Cousins is the only inside depth that has played from your list, Jones looks likely but has to show he can make the step up from VFL to AFL.

Morrison looks to not have a position at the moment and has to show he has one next year, doesn't help us with our lack of pace in the middle either, same as Cousins

would be silly not to take Finn

i dont mind using second rounders to bring in some more midfielders but like i said first rounder and players is a no

Back