Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

would be silly not to take Finn

i dont mind using second rounders to bring in some more midfielders but like i said first rounder and players is a no
we don't know what is going to happen come draft day, a lot of counting chickens happening on this board, first it was our midfield next year with Cogs, now it's with Finn, don't assume we are getting someone and that we will have no needs because of it

I like Chad in the middle and he showed what we were missing, class and pace.
Mitchell back adds more class but not more pace, getting someone like Hill back would be great at the right price, getting more talent needs to happen though

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
cant like this enough. we dont need another midfielder and glad we didnt get cogs with mitchell coming back we have Jags,Chad,Titch,worpel in the middle with others to rotate that 4 will do the job nicely
Cogs is not just another midfielder though. He's a midfielder that can go forward and have a huge impact, like Wingard.
Coniglio wouldn't so much have improved our midfield as he would our forward line which was our biggest issue most of the year

Shiels Cousins Jones Morrison etc are good depth will also pick up Maguinnes

probably need one or 2 but i wouldn't be trading first round picks or players to bring Midfielders in
Only one of those 4 named is an AFL level mid with exposed form.

Hawks851

Senior List
Jul 3, 2015
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cogs is not just another midfielder though. He's a midfielder that can go forward and have a huge impact, like Wingard.
Coniglio wouldn't so much have improved our midfield as he would our forward line which was our biggest issue most of the year

forward line become much better when lewis and o brien were given game time up forward they will continue to improve and hopefully gunston and breust get back to there best and the forward line will be fine

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Chad Wingard/Ryan Burton trade
By Mitch Cleary
  • Hawthorn gets Wingard and 2019 third-round pick (45)
  • Port Adelaide gets Burton, pick 15, 35 and 2019 fourth-round pick via Western Bulldogs (66)
Winning: Port Adelaide
Wingard got going in the final six weeks of the season but his first half of 2019 was hampered by soft-tissue injuries. At the same time Burton was impressing in defence for the Power and Xavier Duursma (taken with pick 15) was letting his arrow do the talking. Pick 35 also was part of a separate deal for the Power to move up the order. With many believing the Hawks need to go younger with their list, Burton and Duursma would be a good start.

———————
I think this is a fair assessment from year 1 of the deal. 2019 was never going to be the Hawks year and so I am untroubled by Wingard’s less than stellar year (due mostly to injury). There were great signs from Chad in the last few games and that is enough.

When Burton was offered / shoved towards the door (note: he had a contact and so could have said No and stayed) I did not understand it. When pick 15 was thrown in I thought hell-no.

With Pick 15 I was hoping for Stocker, Bobby Hill (though I thought he’d be gone earlier) or, my favoured picks; Bailey Williams, or Collier-Dawkins.
Duursma looks to be a good player, but he is not who we should be looking at. We could have had a foil for Lewis up forward in Williams, or a bull in the centre / Utility down back or up forward in CD.
And maybe still have got the bargain that is Kosi at pick 52, depending on the Mozzie / Dodo call.

I love the magic that Wingard brings. Let’s hope it is better than what we could have developed

Mar 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Dallas Cowboys
Just follow Wingard on instagram to see the kind of person we have recruited.
He is "all in" at the HFC & is an elite talent.
Forget about the price; look at what we got!!!
Hes doing the long kick at the yarra grand final morning. Look after those hammys chad!

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Needs to play permanent mid next season, if he doesn't we won't ever see the best of the elite talent that is Chad Wingard I'm afraid.
If Chad does what he did 2013-14 and kicks bags of 2-4 and takes screamers almost every week, will you complain?

Hawthorn got him to be a forward. If that has changed permanently because of his body, then I understand - but I doubt it. I suspect we'll see him forward at some point in the coming years.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
If Chad does what he did 2013-14 and kicks bags of 2-4 and takes screamers almost every week, will you complain?

Hawthorn got him to be a forward. If that has changed permanently because of his body, then I understand - but I doubt it. I suspect we'll see him forward at some point in the coming years.

Then we will have to competently change our gamestyle to get the best out of him. No more slow, methodical ball movement. Essentially we'd have to play the opposite to how Clarko has ever had his teams play.

Over the last three seasons now Wingard has played his best footy in the middle. We all saw it first hand for ourselves. Our midfield is sorely lacking a dynamic, quick and skillful option that has some magic to their game - that is Wingard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to play permanent mid next season, if he doesn't we won't ever see the best of the elite talent that is Chad Wingard I'm afraid.

Daft to pigeon hole him to one position.

He should pay predominantly midfield, but the ability to send him forward to exploit mismatches and upset opposition defenses will be used regularly.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers

No I wouldn't but it's a significant period of time between when Chad has delivered those performances in the forward line until now.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Then we will have to competently change our gamestyle to get the best out of him. No more slow, methodical ball movement. Essentially we'd have to play the opposite to how Clarko has ever had his teams play.

Over the last three seasons now Wingard has played his best footy in the middle. We all saw it first hand for ourselves. Our midfield is sorely lacking a dynamic, quick and skillful option that has some magic to their game - that is Wingard.
More than a little arrogant to assume that Clarkson traded that much for Wingard without realising that he wouldn’t fit our game plan.

I’m not saying that I want him to plays forward. He plays well in the middle. But I’ll trust Clarko’s judgement over anyone’s on here.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
More than a little arrogant to assume that Clarkson traded that much for Wingard without realising that he wouldn’t fit our game plan.

I’m not saying that I want him to plays forward. He plays well in the middle. But I’ll trust Clarko’s judgement over anyone’s on here.

I love the notion that Clarko and Wrighty just randomly traded Burton and a first round draft pick for a guy they knew nothing about and weren’t sure if he’d fit our team or not!

Seriously guys, do you even barrack for Hawthorn??

Maybe you're holding on a little tightly to a non-binding, throw away line Clarko said in an interview 9 months ago as to where Wingard would play? He's clearly going to star as a mid & regardless where he was traded-in to play, he'll likely now stay as a mid (perhaps rest forward).

Judd2Sewell is correct in that Wingard's best will not be realised as a forward with our ball movement. His best footy (for us at least) will not be played as a stay-at-home forward, with our style.

Clarko loves versatile talent & a team-first attitude. That's what he chases. Then he just plugs the player in where needed & usually moves them around to great effect (except Sicily forward in 2019 - ridiculous...).

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

Maybe Clarko traded for him with the idea of playing him in the middle? Maybe he's considering changing our style up?

Regardless of what Clarko's plans are, the facts are that Wingard played his best football in the forward line when Port were a fast gung-ho team. That's not what we are. In our heyday it would work, but not ATM.

Further to that over the last few years Wingard has clearly played his best footy in the midfield, and has struggled when played in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back