Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That Hawk logo looks photoshopped

This is extremely hard to explain if you don’t use instagram but basically it is. It’s a moving ‘sticker’ that Chad put in the photo, the top is just plain grey. I know that sounds wack for anyone who doesn’t use the platform.

Anyway I have a feeling that Chad will play largely forward in 2020, we have stripped a lot of weight off him since he moved from Port. His physique looks like it’s being moulded to play as a small forward rather than a full time mid.

I'd argue that getting leaner means he'll be able to run through the midfield longer. We don't need him as a big bodied mid, but we need him to have a big tank so he can get to more contests and spend more time in there.

I hope that's what the thinking is at least. Our midfield has grunt, but a distinct lack of dynamism and class which is what he provides.

He's very active on instagram with his teammates. I know some may think it doesn't mean much, but you feel he's invested in this

He loves Silk

He's always the first to like the clubs stuff, gets active with the new players and everything. I know it seems like an odd thing to focus on but it really is a fantastic sign.

He took his indigenous work seriously with Port, who have a pretty good system with all the stuff they do in SA and the NT. We appear to be giving him the same opportunity to do what he loves and he's bought in big.

Chad is our legitimate X factor star on our list.

He is in front of Worpel Mitchell Omeara etc.

If he gets a full pre season into him and his body holds up ok then bookmark him for AA next year.

Out of everyone on our list he has the most upside.

Chad is our legitimate X factor star on our list.

He is in front of Worpel Mitchell Omeara etc.

If he gets a full pre season into him and his body holds up ok then bookmark him for AA next year.

Out of everyone on our list he has the most upside.

Have to agree. I do think Sicily is in that boat too though. He makes the game look so easy sometimes, and some of his marking and kicking is beautiful to watch. Different players though so it's hard to compare.

O'Meara potentially had that quality before his injuries.

Mitchell and Worpel are workmanlike and have great effort and hunger for the contest, but X Factor is a different beast and for mine Wings and Sic have it in spades.

He's always the first to like the clubs stuff, gets active with the new players and everything. I know it seems like an odd thing to focus on but it really is a fantastic sign.

He took his indigenous work seriously with Port, who have a pretty good system with all the stuff they do in SA and the NT. We appear to be giving him the same opportunity to do what he loves and he's bought in big.

Chads exit wasnt the smoothest when he left us, hes probably really enjoying feeling appreciated but it mightve been the perfect reality check he needed. We were too soft on him because of his incredible natural talent and then blindsided him by willing to trade him instead of working through whatever needed be. It was a complete lack of communication and player management on ports behalf. Thankfully we got a trade return im more than happy with. However, it certainly is hard seeing a fan favourite run around in different colours.

I just love this guy, he is already Hawthorn through and through. Has embraced the club and most importantly the fans. Always has time for the fans and i know some people probably think it is nothing but the way he interacts with the players and the club on social media shows how bought in he is. This is all before we have really seen just how good he can be. We only got a glimpse of it at the end of the season just wait until he really starts tearing games apart for us!

Chads exit wasnt the smoothest when he left us, hes probably really enjoying feeling appreciated but it mightve been the perfect reality check he needed. We were too soft on him because of his incredible natural talent and then blindsided him by willing to trade him instead of working through whatever needed be. It was a complete lack of communication and player management on ports behalf. Thankfully we got a trade return im more than happy with. However, it certainly is hard seeing a fan favourite run around in different colours.
To be fair, he had an average year with us. How would you feel watching Bud ripping sides apart for 6 years, including yours? It's a s**t feeling we know too well.

This is all before we have really seen just how good he can be. We only got a glimpse of it at the end of the season just wait until he really starts tearing games apart for us!
I wonder if the difference in attitude and approach of Hawthorn and Port Adelaide toward Wingard during the periods where he was struggling to get fit and find form played much part in his own attitude and approach to engaging with each club. They suggested his attitude was poor but perhaps he was simply mirroring their own poor attitude toward him?

Some people can respond well to harsh criticism, while others you're better off taking a more supportive, positive reinforcement approach. This is something Clarko clearly learned a long time ago. He knows which players to direct a spray at and which to put an arm around. Hinkley grabs me as a no nonsense type who just gives everyone a spray. But I'm just guessing there. Hinkley might have a softer side that isn't apparent in his public media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope chad has an uninterrupted preseason, if he does I want to see him play more of a mid/fwd role. Mitchell, O'Meara, Worpel, Shiels, Wingard, Scully, Smith, Henderson that is top tier quality.

Once he got his body right he ripped it up late in 2019 in the midfield

Hoping for more of the same in 2020. Seems to be happy off the field.

A mark of a great coach is what they get out of their players. If Clarko can reignite Chad where Hinkley had to let him go, further emphasises how good the man is

Remove this Banner Ad

Back