Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Past reputation is a great indicator. I stand by it. It's easy in a honeymoon period to present positive and changed. Let's see.
It is not factual though?

If you were dating someone and the ex spread rumours about them would you judge them on the rumours or how they are around you?

He gave 100% effort tonight but you want to judge him on his mannerisms?

Zack

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2002
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Started the season well, looks like Liam Shiels among others lately just doesn't care.. getting paid lost interest.

There is a fundamental message from the coaching group not resonating with any of the players at this point of time.

Lot of ppl talk about Sam Mitchell taking over but our midfield has been cactus under him so I'd prefer he learnt more elsewhere as his first time as coach, then come back.

We miss Ratten, Fagan, etc etc we've got nothing close to replace them... and I've said it previously if Bolton gets bulleted it would help us a lot. He's too busy agreeing with Clarko than being his boss. Which is his actual job these days.

HawkVan

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is not factual though?

If you were dating someone and the ex spread rumours about them would you judge them on the rumours or how they are around you?

He gave 100% effort tonight but you want to judge him on his mannerisms?

He was AA in Port Adelaide teams that were playing finals. He infuriated Port Adelaide fans the past few years. Like I imagine he is infuriating Hawks fans with his inability to play well when things are tough.

I need more than 11 games to be convinced he isn't prone to sulking when things are tough. He is in our top 3 highest paid players. He's kicked four goals the past 6 games.

JimmyBC

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He was AA in Port Adelaide teams that were playing finals. He infuriated Port Adelaide fans the past few years. Like I imagine he is infuriating Hawks fans with his inability to play well when things are tough.

I need more than 11 games to be convinced he isn't prone to sulking when things are tough.
Nope his second AA was in 2015 when we didn't make finals.

Playing him forward is useless as **** on a bull, clarko has bit to answer for.

This.

Wingard was easily our best player the last eight weeks last year playing primarily as an inside midfielder. I don’t know what the thinking process is behind Clarkson playing him as a small forward where he’s gone completely cold.

Wingard looks disinterested and his body language is a worry.

When people move jobs because of a falling out, they get an instant spark or a new found passion, but when things start to go against them, soon their attitudes and character start to revert to what frustrated their old employer.

Unfortunately Chad is cream, goes well when his side is winning, but doesn't suit a rebuilding team that we have to become. We need our highest paid players to have a much bigger influence on games and the group week to week. Not just when things are rolling and easier.

I feel for Sicily and Gunston, they can't do anymore. We'd be Adelaide without these two.
You continually ran with this s**t with your last Hawthorn account.

Stop it.

Hodgey09

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This.

Wingard was easily our best player the last eight weeks last year playing primarily as an inside midfielder. I don’t know what the thinking process is behind Clarkson playing him as a small forward where he’s gone completely cold.

Couldn't agree more.

Insanity playing this bloke anywhere other than inside mid.

The Offerman

All Australian
Oct 8, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If it was as simple as "he's our best midfielder, play him there" don't you think a 4 time Premiership coach would recognize it? It wasn't because Breust is injured why he was playing forward, we can categorically rule that out because it's still happening. My guess is he was promised he'd be a forward and AC can't go back on his word, or there's something lacking in his game. Whether it be his tank or his selfishness I don't know, might even be the club figuring out how average his ball use is (before you come at me saying hes our best kick, his kicking efficiency is 47.9% which by competition metrics is below average) but there's a reason behind him cruising along on big money sitting in a forward pocket.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Chad is one of not many players at Hawthorn I enjoy watching but he is struggling in that dysfunctional forward line. It is hard to work out why he's being left there when we can't score and we are getting slaughtered into the middle with a one-paced and one-dimensional setup. Maybe it's fitness.

Right now, his form is poor. In 1.5 seasons at Hawthorn so far, his form has been far too inconsistent for such a talented player.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Why is he not getting more time in the midfield? Is it fitness / work rate / some thing else? Breust and impey are back so the team balance argument doesn’t hold.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Started the season well, looks like Liam Shiels among others lately just doesn't care.. getting paid lost interest.

There is a fundamental message from the coaching group not resonating with any of the players at this point of time.

Lot of ppl talk about Sam Mitchell taking over but our midfield has been cactus under him so I'd prefer he learnt more elsewhere as his first time as coach, then come back.

We miss Ratten, Fagan, etc etc we've got nothing close to replace them... and I've said it previously if Bolton gets bulleted it would help us a lot. He's too busy agreeing with Clarko than being his boss. Which is his actual job these days.
I don't know about the internal machinations and relationships at Hawthorn, but we're playing like Carlton did under Bolton - tepid, timid and turgid. Scared to make a mistake.

Before anyone harps on about Bolton in 2014, I could have coached those guys to 5/5 - they coached themselves.

I wonder (not necessarily believe) if Bolton is so beholden to process and is managing to influence the coaching group and players to play to a process, when at times (like v Carlton at Optus) we should just say * it, let's play?

Only thinking out aloud here, happy to be shot down.

Hot Diggity

All Australian
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Chad is one of not many players at Hawthorn I enjoy watching but he is struggling in that dysfunctional forward line. It is hard to work out why he's being left there when we can't score and we are getting slaughtered into the middle with a one-paced and one-dimensional setup. Maybe it's fitness.

Right now, his form is poor. In 1.5 seasons at Hawthorn so far, his form has been far too inconsistent for such a talented player.
Chad is an X-factor player that is the sort of player you bring in to add cream to your list. He's not a trenches type of player.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fair point. Being based in WA we hardly saw any Port games. Happy to stand corrected.
He is more than capable winning clearances at stoppages and linking up in transition play. I think he is a better mid than forward. He still kicks goals from the midfield.

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
I believe much like a lot of the team, he is a by-product of this season. Imagine for him, he goes to a Vic club to start afresh, he get's settled and bang off with the hubs, no ability to go home etc.
I have him in my fantasy footy and his output compared to others is still pretty good, I'll stick by the Chad.

The Offerman

All Australian
Oct 8, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I believe much like a lot of the team, he is a by-product of this season. Imagine for him, he goes to a Vic club to start afresh, he get's settled and bang off with the hubs, no ability to go home etc.
I have him in my fantasy footy and his output compared to others is still pretty good, I'll stick by the Chad.

He moved here close to 24 months ago. What on earth is this justification?

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
He moved here close to 24 months ago. What on earth is this justification?

The first year is settling in and the second is more of familiarity, regardless of that, he has still performed better than many others.
The whole COVID hub thing would fk with your head or are you unsympathetic and expect robots?

Hodgey09

Cancelled
Feb 7, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I love this bloke, comes across as a great kid and he’s absolutely brilliant to watch when on.

But when do questions get fairly asked as to whether he’s been worth it?

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
I love this bloke, comes across as a great kid and he’s absolutely brilliant to watch.

But when do questions get fairly asked as to whether he’s been worth it?
Well we know he hasn't been worth it, that is not an argument. I just don't think it is worth going back over the past.

My real question is why will Clarko not move him in to the middle, do they have concerns over his body? Staggering at this point.

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would've given him a 3 year deal?

Play him through the middle next year, all year. If he doesn't provide, delist or pay peanuts for him.

Back