Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Really need to start playing him through the middle a lot more. With smaller stints up forward

I don't think Wingard wants to play midfield, to be honest. I think he is lazy and knows it'll mean an increase in his running numbers. I think, much the same way Ceglar did last year negotiating #1 ruck and a three year deal, we have succumbed to player power.

I don't think Wingard wants to play midfield, to be honest. I think he is lazy and knows it'll mean an increase in his running numbers. I think, much the same way Ceglar did last year negotiating #1 ruck and a three year deal, we have succumbed to player power.
Would love to ignore your reasoning on this

Really need to start playing him through the middle a lot more. With smaller stints up forward
Why?

We know he can do it.So why risk him?

What we don't know is if Sheils, Worpel, Mitchel, O'Mraera and some kids can actually get up a gallop, both ways, and who works best with who. (yeah no doubt certain posters have "known" all along, but they ain't they coaches)

I guess we are finding out real quickly now. This is really good going forward, even if it doesn't feel like it at this moment.

I don't understand why he's not playing on ball, even with the assumption that he's not fit for it, he can still be rested up forward. Like not even trying him there.
Can only assume that he's a known quantity & with our season a write-off, we're trying the rest of the combinations out in the middle.

Can only assume that he's a known quantity & with our season a write-off, we're trying the rest of the combinations out in the middle.
But that makes no sense - why are we playing Mitchell, worpel, shiels and JOM (when fit) in the middle then?

Wingard is far from a known quantity as a midfielder (both career and at hawthorn) and has never really played with Mitchell.

The better view is either, the club doesn’t rate him as a midfielder or he’s not doing the work or things required to play mid. Both are concerning.

But that makes no sense - why are we playing Mitchell, worpel, shiels and JOM (when fit) in the middle then?

Wingard is far from a known quantity as a midfielder (both career and at hawthorn) and has never really played with Mitchell.

The better view is either, the club doesn’t rate him as a midfielder or he’s not doing the work or things required to play mid. Both are concerning.
It makes complete sense. They're core midfielders. They need to gel together as the core of our midfield group that we plan to add to.

If you think of Wingard as the Maserati, as someone else here described him, do you run the Maseratti through these middle in these matches and have him grinding and getting beat up, when the season is done, or do you see what others can do, as we have done the last few weeks?

For example Cousins, and as TylerDurden pointed out tonight, we put Minch in there before we put Wings.

So despite us playing every other player where required and playing eg Breust in midfield in bursts, a skinny will Day every week, flogging BB every week, Mitchell every week in guts returning from a major injury etc etc etc you genuinely think we have a special chad rule that won’t even risk him playing in the middle (even in a burst) despite him apparently being fully fit because he’s some sort of special high risk case? Seriously you think that’s the best explanation?

So despite us playing every other player where required and playing eg Breust in midfield in bursts, a skinny will Day every week, flogging BB every week, Mitchell every week in guts returning from a major injury etc etc etc you genuinely think we have a special chad rule that won’t even risk him playing in the middle (even in a burst) despite him apparently being fully fit because he’s some sort of special high risk case? Seriously you think that’s the best explanation?
I’ll make this simple for you....he’s not going into the Centre bounces these last few games, because we don’t want him to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wingard the Maserati.. My god you guys need to chill
I reckon the over the top cynicism/pessimism about one of our best players is why people aren't "chill"
The dude is down on his form in a dysfunctional team- as are the majority of our players.
Suggesting that he doesn't want midfield minutes because it'd increase his K's is beyond bemusing. He wanted more midfield time- and has said so quite a few times.
From all accounts Wingard is the kind of dude who would give his all to the club he's playing at, if the coaches told him he was getting more time in the midfield I'm sure he'd lap it up (as his form has shown when he gets thrown in there).

I reckon the over the top cynicism/pessimism about one of our best players is why people aren't "chill"
The dude is down on his form in a dysfunctional team- as are the majority of our players.
Suggesting that he doesn't want midfield minutes because it'd increase his K's is beyond bemusing. He wanted more midfield time- and has said so quite a few times.
From all accounts Wingard is the kind of dude who would give his all to the club he's playing at, if the coaches told him he was getting more time in the midfield I'm sure he'd lap it up (as his form has shown when he gets thrown in there).

Don't you think if it was as simple as Wingard being good in the midfield, a four time Premiership would realise and be playing him there more often than he is? Week after week we were told on here it was because Breust was injured, and now we're being told he's sitting in a forward pocket on huge coin because we already know he's the leading mid we have. Just an utterly bizarre narrative, the ultra competitive Al Clarkson, plays his premier midfielder forward of the ball because he already knows what he offers as a midfielder.

As for his form there, the numbers are available to everyone. His kicking efficiency is below 50%.. A below average Maserati, by competition wide metrics.

I’ll make this simple for you....he’s not going into the Centre bounces these last few games, because we don’t want him to.
I agree there's no point playing him in the for the rest of the season, but perhaps not be so condescending about it...

Time to sit him for the rest of the season, I'm not sure as to why but sadly Chad clearly isn't interested. It might be because he walked out on a team that's a contender for a cellar dweller who knows, but he doesn't look interested out there.

Last edited:
Time to sit him for the rest of the season, I'm not sure as to why but sadly Chad clearly isn't interested. It might be because he walked out on a team that's a contender for a cellar dweller who knows, but he doesn't look interested out there.
What a load of s**t.

Yeah no s**t - didn’t think that was up for debate?

Aren’t we debating the ‘why’ we weren’t putting them there?

I was responding to your overly convoluted explanations as to why we were not playing him in midfield. Rather than a lame attempt at being condescending wouldn’t it be simple to just admit your arguments aren’t great?

its a shame because the last couple months of 2019 and the first month of 2020 he looked every bit the player we wanted him to be

it doesn't make sense that he sits in the fwd pocket in a team with pretty poor connection just because he's lazy or unfit. Cyril played in the mids usually a few times a game and we all know how bad his tank was

it's either — he's not doing what the coaches ask of him midfield in terms of his defensive output

because the club see him as being more valuable in the forward line

or because they'd rather try combinations of players like cousins, minch, howe, worps, glass etc. that have never played together and see what they can do

i think the third reason makes the most sense, but it may very well be one of the first two. to suggest it's his prerogative is bewildering. despite what some people seem to contend he's not a ******* man-child that sooks it up in the forward pocket and ignores his coach's demands for him to play center square... he would be playing alongside Ross Walker and Kosi if that was the case

Jeez some of the comments about chad Sooking it up are pretty disappointing. Clearly not the case as he would be playing in the 2s.
People are judging him on reputation and not his attitude at the club, it’s crap. Never have I questioned his effort or work rate at the Hawks.

he is playing s**t footy but he so are a lot of people, he should be at worst. 50/50 mid forward. He is being wasted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back