Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alite

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IMO CJ was a standout during last weekends Box Hill draw against Footscray.

His 3rd-man-up marks and spoils were the highlights but his defensive positioning, one-on-one work, clean skills, speed and leap, and his offensive run was even more impressive. His footy IQ has shot up (he seems to have reached AFL level) with no ceiling in sight.

Even when out of position (under the ball) he was able to spoil in a 1:1 marking contest without giving away a free kick.

But for the fact that he is a Category B rookie I could see him slotting into the Hawks side next week.

A very exciting prospect!

Last edited:

Cyrillic

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
It would be nice if he could get a taste this year at some stage which would indicate the Club believes he is likely to make it and will be promoted at season end. He does have the good physical attributes and it would appear it is purely about teaching him game sense which he seems to be doing well.

Burtman

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His athleticism and competitiveness has never been a question. It’s how he is with ball in hand, and the decisions he makes. You don’t want to bring him in when he’s not ready and he becomes the next billy hartung whipping boy. Maybe later in the season if it’s over we can give him a taste

Alite

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His athleticism and competitiveness has never been a question. It’s how he is with ball in hand, and the decisions he makes. You don’t want to bring him in when he’s not ready and he becomes the next billy hartung whipping boy. Maybe later in the season if it’s over we can give him a taste
Agreed in concept: at AFL level with the increased speed of players, and the tackling pressure that comes with it, he may struggle resulting in his confidence be ruined. It’s a definite possibility. Many players with potential have been thrown to the wolves (thinking Jack Watts amongst many others).
I’d hope the Hawks coaches have a handle on his psychological makeup and know whether he is likely to thrive on challenge or is better with a strong base from which to launch his career.

Either way it is currently a moot point as he is ineligible to play AFL.

But DAMN, I am still excited. 👍😀🎉

Alite

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It would be nice if he could get a taste this year at some stage which would indicate the Club believes he is likely to make it and will be promoted at season end. He does have the good physical attributes and it would appear it is purely about teaching him game sense which he seems to be doing well.
The mid-season draft throws a spanner in the works for his debut. If we use a spot to upgrade CJ then we cannot use that spot in the mid-season draft.

I’m not sure what I would do...🤔

Cyrillic

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
The mid-season draft throws a spanner in the works for his debut. If we use a spot to upgrade CJ then we cannot use that spot in the mid-season draft.

I’m not sure what I would do...🤔
Fair point which I hadn’t considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo-27

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melb Victory + Melb Storm
CJ has done a Sicily, he has gone from a half forw who was struggling to get involved in games, into a free lance half back that is known for intercepting and running off half back for the last part of last year and this season, he is going so well he is not far from a possible debut? either this season or next.

Brant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
CJ has done a Sicily, he has gone from a half forw who was struggling to get involved in games, into a free lance half back that is known for intercepting and running off half back for the last part of last year and this season, he is going so well he is not far from a possible debut? either this season or next.
Who does he force out of the side (when all are fit)?

FB: Stratton....Frawley....Hardwick
HB: Sicily.........O'Brien.......Skrillex (Impey)

Maybe comes in to that 7th Defender spot & releases Impey to play forward?

Brant

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal

Yuley95

All Australian
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The bloke progressed well from development level to box hill seniors and by the end of the season he was one of the stars in the finals series.

That sort of progression augers well for him.

I also reckon his physical attributes and playing style are built for modern afl.

Can’t wait to see him get a run when either Scrimshaw or O’Brien are having a spell.

Top Bottom