Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Has done enough to show he could make it.

Great story. Not sure we have ever had more depth in our quality young small to medium defenders. Sicily, Dimma, CJ, Scrimmers, Impey... If Kosi makes it, we already have:

HB: Impey - Sicily - CJ
FB: Hardwick - Kosi - Scrimshaw

He has unreal agility and he seems to never tire. Can anyone in the know tell me about his running capacity? is it a strength?
Ran 3rd at Draft Camp for 2km from memory - about 6:13, 2 secs slower than Dylan Moore.

Smitty & Scully would be well under 6 mins, but CJ would be in with the next bunch.

Has done enough to show he could make it.

Great story. Not sure we have ever had more depth in our quality young small to medium defenders. Sicily, Dimma, CJ, Scrimmers, Impey... If Kosi makes it, we already have:

HB: Impey - Sicily - CJ
FB: Hardwick - Kosi - Scrimshaw

learn the defensive side of the game for a year or so and then could easily move up the ground on to a wing.

The boy goes OK.
giphy.gif

Yeh really like cj he just has a bit of x factor about him. That transition to the back half was a genius move by Darren glass . Once he gets more confidence and feels at home in the seniors he's going to be a real attacking weapon off the half back .

I think CJ will be best 22 by the end of next year. His fitness is an issue but if he puts in a good pre-season and works on some deficiencies there is a spot for him in defence.

A backline that has Sicily (24), Scrimshaw (20), Hardwick (22) and Jiath (20) is an exciting mix.

I think CJ will be best 22 by the end of next year. His fitness is an issue but if he puts in a good pre-season and works on some deficiencies there is a spot for him in defence.

A backline that has Sicily (24), Scrimshaw (20), Hardwick (22) and Jiath (20) is an exciting mix.
i’d like to see Hardwick forward, think he needs an extended go there. Not many better set shots out there too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i’d like to see Hardwick forward, think he needs an extended go there. Not many better set shots out there too.
Who does he force out of the forwardline? He's not a small forward like Breust, or a medium one like Gunston. He doesn't have pace like Popeye or Nash & he's a brilliant defender.

Who does he force out of the forwardline? He's not a small forward like Breust, or a medium one like Gunston. He doesn't have pace like Popeye or Nash & he's a brilliant defender.

Quote from his draft year:

"Medium forward who is terrific on the move as a lead-up forward. Is a difficult match-up one-on-one and regularly makes something out of nothing around goals with his elite power, regularly bursting from contested situations. Performed well in four games at the NAB AFL U18 Championships and impressed with his goalkicking this season at TAC Cup level, including 12 goals against the Bendigo Pioneers and 10 against the Geelong Falcons."

Quote from his draft year:

"Medium forward who is terrific on the move as a lead-up forward. Is a difficult match-up one-on-one and regularly makes something out of nothing around goals with his elite power, regularly bursting from contested situations. Performed well in four games at the NAB AFL U18 Championships and impressed with his goalkicking this season at TAC Cup level, including 12 goals against the Bendigo Pioneers and 10 against the Geelong Falcons."
Yeh I know, I saw the video - but he's an awesome defender that didn't & wasn't going to get a game in our Forwardline - hence his move to defence.

He's a pretty reliable set shot as well & there's some that reckon he could play midfield. Remember that I didn't say he doesn't have some attributes of a successful small or medium forward, I asked who of our current crop he forces out? Not to mention what we lose in defence from moving him.

If CJ puts on some size and strength he could go on to be a gun player. At the moment he gets caught in the contest and can't break free like he wants to. I'm very optimistic that he can achieve this by hard work in the gym as he seems to have a frame that can fill out. An exciting prospect and the type of player that we are going to need going forward.

CJ is turning into an absolute jet.
He's becoming one of my favourite players to watch - together with Will Day roaming around the backline will make for enjoyable viewing in the future.

Spent the afternoon with the in-laws who are bombre supporters. They all wanted to know more about CJ and spoke of how exciting he is to watch.

Going to have a cult following if he keeps it up.

Spent the afternoon with the in-laws who are bombre supporters. They all wanted to know more about CJ and spoke of how exciting he is to watch.

Going to have a cult following if he keeps it up.

Loved the confidence from his first possession to put the after burners on. Thought “wow here we go...”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back