Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

I love CJ to death. That said, I'm amazed at the wraps he's getting "elite player of the com" after a body of work of half a season.

I hope it's true, but he's got a long way to go.
He’s already elite for intercept possessions, intercept marks, spoils and 1%ers.

He’s above avergage for disp eff, disposals, contested possessions, marks, score involvements, score launches, inside 50’s and bounces. He doesn’t have far to go at all.

He’s already elite for intercept possessions, intercept marks, spoils and 1%ers.

He’s above avergage for disp eff, disposals, contested possessions, marks, score involvements, score launches, inside 50’s and bounces. He doesn’t have far to go at all.

I wouldn't hate it if he was even more elite for bounces though, boy he gets close to running too far a fair bit.

True that he has elite characteristics. Absolutely. Only over a short period of time though. I want to see that over a 30-50 match period before i stick on the overarching elite label.

I love CJ to death. That said, I'm amazed at the wraps he's getting "elite player of the com" after a body of work of half a season.

I hope it's true, but he's got a long way to go.
Big difference between saying he is elite and that with his natural attributes and incredible rate of improvement over the last 12 months, he could become elite. As I said earlier, there are safer bets on the list. CJ’s upside is very significant however

True that he has elite characteristics. Absolutely. Only over a short period of time though. I want to see that over a 30-50 match period before i stick on the overarching elite label.
He’s gone from being a possible delist only 12 months ago to rating as elite in numerous key stats.

Trust the trend.

So I don't really understand why we are just rolling his contract next year, having hit a games trigger, as opposed to offering him a new deal now?

Perhaps we have a trade target in mind this year and need the cap space, if not, it's a strange call.

None of this is saying he will leave, but I just find it odd we wouldn't try and sign him on a revised 3 year deal...

Perhaps CJ and his management are banking on getting a bigger contract midway through next year after more exposed form... surely it couldn't be the club wanting to see more before entering negotiations.

Last edited:
Could you be any more of a stick in the mud? We have a 22 year old that lite up the competition for 16 weeks and you want to argue semantics about elite

Could you be any more of a stick in the mud? We have a 22 year old that lite up the competition for 16 weeks and you want to argue semantics about elite

Sorry. I forgot. This board is all about how amazing and ‘elite’ our list is. My bad.

Is anyone else thinking that CJ‘s game may suffer when Sicily returns?
That daring intercept marking was Sicily’s forte.
Hopefully they can work well together in the backline next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it will make him more valuable. I see him as a potentially wingman when Sicily returns. The intercept ability won't disappear, it'll just move to the middle of the ground

I think it will make him more valuable. I see him as a potentially wingman when Sicily returns. The intercept ability won't disappear, it'll just move to the middle of the ground
Yep won’t be surprised if CJ is trained up as a wingman over the preseason. We have guys who are better defenders than him but his mix of speed and tank is absolutely top end. He can still cause havoc with his marking on the wing.

I think if anyone was to suffer it would be Scrimshaw. They're more similar in style, intercepting and setting up play with precision kicking. And if you recall Scrimshaw really hit some great form late in 2020 right after Sicily went down. Coincidence perhaps.

CJ more similar to Impey. Also good at intercepting but the true strength is in the run and carry off half back.

Think it will take a few games for them
To find their groove but when it all clicks it will be a sight to behold. Will be interesting how hard cj and scrimshaw can push forward on the rebound if they have trust in sic and vice versa

I think if anyone was to suffer it would be Scrimshaw. They're more similar in style, intercepting and setting up play with precision kicking. And if you recall Scrimshaw really hit some great form late in 2020 right after Sicily went down. Coincidence perhaps.

CJ more similar to Impey. Also good at intercepting but the true strength is in the run and carry off half back.
Agree. Always felt like Burton was better when Sicily wasn’t playing and am a bit concerned same we may happen with Scrimshaw. Up to Sam to manage i guess…

Yep won’t be surprised if CJ is trained up as a wingman over the preseason. We have guys who are better defenders than him but his mix of speed and tank is absolutely top end. He can still cause havoc with his marking on the wing.

Would love to see it. Unlike most leaping, intercepting half-backs, CJ actually has the tank to play wing (or on-ball).
In fact, his tank is so great, it almost seems wasted off half-back.
It could be that he doesn't have the game sense to play further up the field (ie. just not able to get his hands on it enough), but the upside of having his athleticism up the ground is so great I'd be giving the move every chance.

Agree. Always felt like Burton was better when Sicily wasn’t playing and am a bit concerned same we may happen with Scrimshaw. Up to Sam to manage i guess…

It's definitely a role where you can protect a player. As long as they have decent hands and a good kick, they'll look good as that loose interceptor in Clarko's system if the other defenders are doing their job (Frost and Hartigan have to do a lot of work to make it work).

I'm more confident in Scrimshaw though, because he wasn't really locked in that role the whole year and still stayed involved. He was more likely to work himself into the chain and up the wing as opposed to Burton who looked a bit lost when he couldn't anchor himself to the kick down the line to win the ball.

The thing I'm looking forward to most in 2022 is seeing all of CJ, Day, Sicily, Impey, DGB and Scrim all playing in the same team. Really hopeful that we can go the majority of 2022 with all of them in the team, if that happens, I really think the sky is the limit, even with our below average midfield.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back