Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Is he a bit like Jeremy Howe/Brett Burton as a kid?

Hard to compare him to anyone I think.

The one thing I would say is that I dont recall an African/Sudanese player with CJ's skills and game sense.

There is Daw, Chol, Allir and i think a Brisbane player all of whom are KPP.

But I feel we are yet to see a smaller African type player at AFL level.

He would have to be a lot better chance of making it then a KPP i would of thought.

Reminds me a bit of Carl Peterson. Similar height from what I recall, as well.

Marking is clearly his strong suit. For 184cm he will be able to almost play as a key marking forward.

Has a bit of pace, can't tell but doesn't seem overly quick.

His kicking lacks technique, and at times he seems to just be concerned with getting the ball to his teammate by foot any way he can, rather than using it well.

Still, something to work with for sure. Only 18 years old.

Reminds me a bit of Carl Peterson. Similar height from what I recall, as well.

Marking is clearly his strong suit. For 184cm he will be able to almost play as a key marking forward.

Has a bit of pace, can't tell but doesn't seem overly quick.

His kicking lacks technique, and at times he seems to just be concerned with getting the ball to his teammate by foot any way he can, rather than using it well.

Still, something to work with for sure. Only 18 years old.

Thats actually a very good comparison.

Agree with you he definitely does try and get rid of the pill at the earliest opportunity.

I wonder whether part of it is coaching or CJ just doing the team thing cos he knows his limitations.

Not a bad result in the 2km Time Trail, given that he is still a raw prospect. Also looking at the standard Ben McEvoy does stand out.

2km time trial

Dylan Moore - 6:09 minutes
Lochie O'Brien - 6:12
Gryan Miers - 6:13
Andrew Brayshaw - 6:14
Aiden Domic - 6:15
Angus Styles - 6:17
Changkuoth Jiath - 6:17
Nathan Murphy - 6:21
Jaidyn Stephenson - 6:21
Ethan Floyd - 6:25

The 2km Time Trial
What should you run
5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete (Issac Smith/Mark Blicavs/Ed Curnow)
6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL Player (Billy Hartung/Sam Gibson/Bradley Hill/Johnny Rayner/Patrick Ambrose/Tom Scully)
6:16 - 6:30 min = Slightly Better than average AFL Standard (Jamie Macmillan/Dan Hannebury/Ben McEvoy/Liam Shiels)
6:31 - 6:45 min = Average to Slow Standard (45% of AFL players are in this bracket)
6:46 - 7:10 min = Had a big festive season or is a Key Position player
8:13 min = Worst Performance Ever (Murray Newman 2012)
can only dream about being able to run 2km sub 9min...

CJ is obviously athletically gifted. Apart from his time in the 2 km time trial, he was second in the Open 400 metres at the APS athletics championships.
If we can develop his football skills as a project player he will be a good acquisition.
However if someone else bids on him in the draft we have to match.

Few mixed reports on his kicking. Based on the combine video (so under no pressure) he looks highly proficient by both left and right, not mechanical or 'slow' at all. To rate highly amongst kids his age who have played their whole life is impressive. Bit to get excited about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes sense to nominate him.
He was invited to the National Draft Combine, which means a minimum of four clubs nominated him as a player they wanted to test. So 4+ clubs, Hawthorn included I would assume, are expressing interest in CJ.

Four clubs is it? I thought it was less. Good to know, hope we can afford it if he goes pretty early.

4 clubs for National,
2 clubs for State.

With that interest in getting him there, along with his solid performance (including top-10 finish in one block of testing), he'd have to be an outside chance of going top 20. Would we have the points this year to match that even with the 20% 'discount'?

CJ is obviously athletically gifted. Apart from his time in the 2 km time trial, he was second in the Open 400 metres at the APS athletics championships.
If we can develop his football skills as a project player he will be a good acquisition.
However if someone else bids on him in the draft we have to match.
No we don't.
Our choice entirely.

CJ is not generally rated as a top 30 draft pick.
AFL points table below:
upload_2017-11-1_14-12-12.png
If some club picked him at Pick 31, that would require Hawthorn to match 480 points.
Pick 43 would allow us 347 points, so we would then need pick 67 with 69 points, which still isn't enough.

We would be hoping he slides to at least our first pick

He is going to have a big body after a few years in the AFL. I hope he has white line fervor.

CJ is not generally rated as a top 30 draft pick.
AFL points table below:
View attachment 433641
If some club picked him at Pick 31, that would require Hawthorn to match 480 points.
Pick 43 would allow us 347 points, so we would then need pick 67 with 69 points, which still isn't enough.

We would be hoping he slides to at least our first pick

Not a chance he gets bid on before 60 in my uneducated opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back