Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a question if he slides to 43 are we obligated to pick him then or we can pick someone else then if someone picks him with a pick after 43 we get him with our second selection?

Nominating him doesn't commit us to select him at any of the draft selection.

Nominating means we have the right to match (if we want to) if another club bids at any stage - this would typically require our next pick, and then dropping down the order with our next pick after that.

If nobody attempts to bid/draft him, then we can just take him as a rookie in the rookie draft - no National Draft picks/points required in that case.

Saw him running the other day in Traralgon with his dog. Boy looks fit

I hope if we nab him this isn't another one of those highly naturally talented athletic teenagers that look better at footy because they have a huge leap, are super fast, elite endurance or amazing strength for their age. When professional training helps the others catch up, they get found out. We've already tried a number of these e.g. Petersen, Timmy Clarke, Hartung...

I hope if we nab him this isn't another one of those highly naturally talented athletic teenagers that look better at footy because they have a huge leap, are super fast, elite endurance or amazing strength for their age. When professional training helps the others catch up, they get found out. We've already tried a number of these e.g. Petersen, Timmy Clarke, Hartung...
I know what you mean - though in Petersens case the only thing that caught up with him was Petersen.. I will always remember his tackle on Gary Ablett when Gaz though he could just step the newby and run away - wrong. That guy was a special talent, though needed more than that, mainly application and dedication to succeed in AFL.

When professional training helps the others catch up, they get found out. We've already tried a number of these e.g. Petersen, Timmy Clarke, Hartung...

Peterson was an elite talent, in almost every regard.

His name really doesn't belong on that list.

If Peterson had wanted to succeed as much as Timmy Clarke did, he would have been an insanely good player.

The only thing Peterson lacked, was a head to play AFL. He could do everything else, the guy was A grade special.

If this guy is 75% of what Peterson was, with Timmy Clarke's desire to play, we'd have a pretty amazing player.

Peterson was an elite talent, in almost every regard.

His name really doesn't belong on that list.

If Peterson had wanted to succeed as much as Timmy Clarke did, he would have been an insanely good player.

The only thing Peterson lacked, was a head to play AFL. He could do everything else, the guy was A grade special.

If this guy is 75% of what Peterson was, with Timmy Clarke's desire to play, we'd have a pretty amazing player.

People seriously under rate how good Carl was.

Hooper as well was an amazing talent crippled by hamstring injuries.

Please be nice to me if this is dumb. Am I right in saying this

Pick 42 = 395
Pick 60 = 146

You can add them up and it equals = 541

20% discount means you can bump that up to 676 which is pretty much pick 29

Am I doing something dumb here?

Please be nice to me if this is dumb. Am I right in saying this

Pick 42 = 395
Pick 60 = 146

You can add them up and it equals = 541

20% discount means you can bump that up to 676 which is pretty much pick 29

Am I doing something dumb here?

Makes sense to me but would suspect we would be directing Pick 42 elsewhere and declining to match if it was anything earlier than a pick 60 or later match in isolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't fully understand the idea of an academy. Do we get priority on any players from our academy? How do we pick up players from our academy? Could someone please help. I saw a video of CJ's highlights and he looks really good.

I don't fully understand the idea of an academy. Do we get priority on any players from our academy? How do we pick up players from our academy? Could someone please help. I saw a video of CJ's highlights and he looks really good.

So there are player's in Hawthorn's catchment area's that are eligible for our academy.

Prior to the national draft or rookie draft if we are interested in any of these player's we nominate them, like we have done with CJ this year.

Nominating them gives us the right to match a bid if another club wants that player.

If we don't nominate another club can take the player and we cannot match.

So if CJ's name is read out by a club at say pick 55 Hawthorn have to decide whether to match the bid and get him.

We get a 20% discount so we basically need enough points attached to pick 55 minus 20% to get him.

Make sense?

So there are player's in Hawthorn's catchment area's that are eligible for our academy.

Prior to the national draft or rookie draft if we are interested in any of these player's we nominate them, like we have done with CJ this year.

Nominating them gives us the right to match a bid if another club wants that player.

If we don't nominate another club can take the player and we cannot match.

So if CJ's name is read out by a club at say pick 55 Hawthorn have to decide whether to match the bid and get him.

We get a 20% discount so we basically need enough points attached to pick 55 minus 20% to get him.

Make sense?
That part makes perfect sense, but as we have nominated him "as a category B rookie", the above scenario would still see him placed on our primary list, yes? So what is the point of nominating him "as a category B rookie"?

Perhaps that only comes into play if no one else takes him in the national OR rookie draft, he automatically falls to us as a B Rookie?

One more query - there's no discount/matching/points in the rookie draft is there? - so if another club takes him before us in the rookie draft, do we have any moves to keep him?

That part makes perfect sense, but as we have nominated him "as a category B rookie", the above scenario would still see him placed on our primary list, yes? So what is the point of nominating him "as a category B rookie"?

Perhaps that only comes into play if no one else takes him in the national OR rookie draft, he automatically falls to us as a B Rookie?

One more query - there's no discount/matching/points in the rookie draft is there? - so if another club takes him before us in the rookie draft, do we have any moves to keep him?

If we do not nominate him as a Cat B rookie we would be unable to pick him up for nothing should no other club select him in the national or rookie drafts.

In essence he can go straight onto the Cat B rookie list if not selected.

In regards to the rookie draft i am pretty sure that if we nominate him pre rookie draft and if another club selects him we can just take him at whatever pick that is using our next rookie pick selection.

So what happens if we want to match but have no points? What happens then?
if we chose to match we can go into points debt

the issue is the points come off your first pick next year so you are pushing back your first round pick in 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back