Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the ceiling on CJ this year - handful of senior games at Box Hill would be a win?

With improved depth and barring injury I'd say that's best case scenario. Wonder how the lack of Developmental League will affect this.

Yeah it is a worry. Some are just not physically ready?
And if we have no injuries, they apply......so where do the Box Hill listed players go?

And if we have no injuries, they apply......so where do the Box Hill listed players go?

Saw an article from August suggesting linkages with suburban leagues. Not too sure about that though.

Saw an article from August suggesting linkages with suburban leagues. Not too sure about that though.

Gee you would be in miffed if you were a skinny interstate rookie running off to play in suburbia on your own or with one or two other players for a whole season? Have been wondering how this would play out for a while.

Gee you would be in miffed if you were a skinny interstate rookie running off to play in suburbia on your own or with one or two other players for a whole season? Have been wondering how this would play out for a while.

Yeah it would be awful. Plus suburban grounds would run the risk of not being at the level of the VFL ones (although they are not all pristine of course) and there may be the odd suburban hero who might try and snipe a few kids who are on an AFL list out of jealousy (extreme scenario of course). It's a poor show all round by the AFL/AFL Victoria.

Apart from Lachie Langford and the Irish boys, we haven't had many listed players play regularly for the Dev Squad (JML, Jarred Hardisty) of late.

It's more a blow for the Box Hill listed blokes who will have fewer opportunities to play VFL. They are the ones more likely to head to the suburban level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm ok so a few then which is surprising.
I guess they're noe being thrown to the wolves, and if they make it will have served a tough apprenticeship which could actually hold them in better stead

Just about everyone. Even Shiels was in the development squad (played in their flag several years ago)
Jordan Lisle played in the Development Squad premiership. It wasn't Shiels.

Maybe Hawthorn should have a team play in the EDFL ( Eastern District Football League ) at least that way they could keep all the players together. Food for thought for next season.

Last edited:
I thought Beau Dowler played in a development premiership in his last year
I remember it was Lisle because he gave his premiership medal to one of the players that he replaced. Can't remember who it was though.

I remember it was Lisle because he gave his premiership medal to one of the players that he replaced. Can't remember who it was though.
Tom Kickett who played most games during the season. A lovely gesture by Jordie who played a very good game. Current players to start in the development team include Bruest, Duryea, Heatherley and Langford. Menagola played in a premiership team.

Yeah it would be awful. Plus suburban grounds would run the risk of not being at the level of the VFL ones (although they are not all pristine of course) and there may be the odd suburban hero who might try and snipe a few kids who are on an AFL list out of jealousy (extreme scenario of course). It's a poor show all round by the AFL/AFL Victoria.

Agreed.

If I was the Clarko, I would call up my good mates Bevo and Bolts and a few others and get the VFL and AFL players not making the VFL teams together into two sides and have a game each week at Waverley.

Tom Kickett who played most games during the season. A lovely gesture by Jordie who played a very good game. Current players to start in the development team include Bruest, Duryea, Heatherley and Langford. Menagola played in a premiership team.
Tom or Derrick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back