Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Due to the Development league being scrapped for this year, is CJ playing football at the moment? Believe he's not been picked in the VFL? Is he playing at a local league or is Russell building up his body?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Due to the Development league being scrapped for this year, is CJ playing football at the moment? Believe he's not been picked in the VFL? Is he playing at a local league or is Russell building up his body?
CJ hasn't played for about 5-6 weeks due to some kind of leg/groin injury. I went and watched Box Hill's first praccy match at Footscray and he tweaked something in the 2nd qtr and didn't play the second half or any game since. Frustratingly, there's been no mention on any of the injury reports. Hopefully he'll be back soon. I don't think AFL listed players are allowed to play local leagues, so when he returns it'll be with Box Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like one of those freakily athletic players that could be anything.

Great to read that he has a good attitude.

A few snippets I found online:

Of Sudanese heritage, but born in an Ethiopian refugee camp, he is an exciting medium midfielder/defender who is fast, boasts a large tank and is strong overhead. Honed his football at Xavier College and represented Vic Country at last year’s NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. He has some work to do, but the Hawks are intrigued by his potential.

Developing his skills in AFL Victoria’s All Nations program as a junior, Changkuoth Jiath has progressed through the talent pathway to become one of Gippsland Power’s top draft prospects this year.

The 185cm 18-year-old of South Sudanese heritage showcased his athleticism and running power in 2017, averaging 16 disposals and five marks per game in six TAC Cup matches and 14 disposals per game in three appearances for Vic Country at the NAB AFL U18 Championships playing mostly as high half forward.

A Morwell (Gippsland League) product, Jiath participated in the All Nations program in 2014 as an under-15 player before going on to play 10 TAC Cup games for Gippsland as a bottom-ager and being added to the NAB AFL Academy in 2016. He was also part of the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy, with the hawks nominating as a Category B Rookie at the upcoming draft. Despite the nomination, rival clubs will still have an opportunity to bid on Jiath during the upcoming drafts, subjected to the same bidding process as father-son and Northern Academy players.

taccup.com.au spoke to Jiath at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine at Etihad Stadium ahead of the 2017 NAB AFL Draft on Friday November 24.

What strengths of yours have you been using to sell yourself to AFL clubs?

• My ability to read the ball, whether it’s in the forward line, midfield or back line and my ability to use my endurance and speed.

What is the strangest question you’ve been asked by AFL club recruiters?

• They asked me if I had a girlfriend. I’m not sure what they were getting at – maybe something to do with moving interstate.

What parts of your game do you know you’ll need to work on if you’re drafted?

• Just being really physical and using my body.

Which AFL players do you particularly like to watch and model your game on?

• I like watching Mitch McGovern (Adelaide). I sort of see a bit of him in me with his marking ability. Isaac Smith (Hawthorn) as well, with his running ability.

Describe your experience in AFL Victoria’s All Nations program in 2014.

• It was a team of a lot of multicultural developing players from around Victoria.

How has the All Nations program helped prepare you for the TAC Cup?

• It helped me in the way of making new friends.

Who were some of your role models in the program?

• David Rodan was one of the guys I looked up to when I was playing then, and I still do.

How important do you think multicultural programs are for players like yourself?

• It’s very important because it helps promote multiculturalism around the sport.

How did the All Nations program differ from other programs you’ve been a part of?

• With multicultural, we’re all sort of from the same area so we have a better understanding of each other.

What would you say to boys and girls of non-football backgrounds who might be interested in getting involved in football?

• It’s a great program to get around.

What memories does this photo (below) make you think of (from All Nations 2014)?

• Winning the championship (All Nations Cup at the Diversity Championships) was a good one with the coach David Rodan – shout out to him.

How would you assess your 2017 season?

• I thought it went really well. Unfortunately I had a syndesmosis ankle injury for about seven weeks early in the season which set me back a bit.

What expectations did you have for yourself at the start of the year?

• Just to have a crack for the whole season and do my best in every game when I’m playing, and just go from there. I felt like I achieved that.

What do you think was your best individual performance of the TAC Cup season?

• The last home-and-away game against the Murray Bushrangers (20 disposals and seven marks in an 18-point win). Coming back from injury, I was able to cover the ground and run up and back and put some pressure on the opposition with tackling and smothering.

Which TAC Cup opponents caught your eye or were particularly difficult to play on this year?

• Adam Cerra (Eastern Ranges). He’s a very good player.

Who do you think has had the biggest influence on your football in the TAC Cup?

• Definitely my family, who come to watch my games driving up and back. Coaches as well have helped me with a lot of things.

Talk about why you think your teammates at the Draft Combine are so highly rated.

• Matt McGannon: He kicks with both feet really well. He’s very smart when he gets the ball and uses it really well. He can break the lines and go back and forward.

Who do you think will be pick no.1 at the NAB AFL Draft?

• I’m going with Paddy Dow (Bendigo Pioneers).

THE FAST FIVE with Changkuoth Jiath

What food could you not live without?

• I like my spaghetti bolognese.

If you weren’t possibly about to become a full-time footballer, what would be your dream job?

• Shoe designer.

What karaoke song would you sing to save your life?

• ‘Purple Haze’ by Jimi Hendrix.

Which teammate would you want to be stranded on a desert island with and why?

• Cal Porter, because he’s the funniest bloke around and he gets everyone going.

Which teammate would you not want to be stranded on a desert island with and why?

• Aiden Quigley – nah, he’s a good bloke.

If you weren’t possibly about to become a full-time footballer, what would be your dream job?

• Shoe designer.
You don't read that from a footy player every day.

AFL listed players aren't allowed to play below the VFL.

Are we still no closer to working out what happens to the young recruits who are not up to senior footy at Boxhill physically or form wise? Will they spend most of the season on the pine or have I missed something?

Last edited:
Are we still no closer to working out what happens to the young recruits who are not up to senior footy at Boxhill physically or form wise? Will they spend most of the season on the pine? Or have I missed something?

It's the VFL or nowhere unless they are a catergoy B listed rookie player, in this case they can play in the TAC cup. I remember reading this when they announced that there would be no Development league anymore but I can't seem to find the document on google anywhere.

It's the VFL or nowhere unless they are a catergoy B listed rookie player, in this case they can play in the TAC cup. I remember reading this when they announced that there would be no Development league anymore but I can't seem to find the document on google anywhere.
Yep and CJ is cat b isn't he?

Are we still no closer to working out what happens to the young recruits who are not up to senior footy at Boxhill physically or form wise? Will they spend most of the season on the pine? Or have I missed something?

Yeah, we seem to be playing all our kids in the BHH team, like Ross and Jones, so I wonder whether the VFL clubs have committed to playing the AFL listed players and hence the VFL clubs therefore need to have fewer VFL listed players on their lists.

A friend gave me a page from CJ's school newsletter where the school's development programs manager said he has the potential to be one of the best players in the AFL.

'He could be sensational, he can play any position,' he said.

'It's always speculative when you say how good he can be but from what I've seen here he will work extremely hard and be aiming to make an impact at AFL level.'

'From an athletic point of view, he could be a very good player for a long period of time.'

'He's played a lot less than someone who's grown up here but he's worked really hard and it's the things you don't see, the work he puts in off the field.'

Last year, CJ played for the 1st XVIII football team under the direction of Xavier coaches including Matt and Luke Ball. He also played for Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup and Vic Country in the Under 18s Championships.

View attachment 526564

Of course I know his story, I just found it humorous to see that amongst the other more 'traditional' teams

Also well done to him last weekend on kicking his first VFL goal. Onwards and upwards CJ!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back