Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Thx posters who have shared their observations. Considering TOM, Mohr and Langford are not playing this year is there any way CK can get a game and we get a midseason pick?
Yes is your answer. Jiath could play AFL this year. But the Hawks would need to put a player into the long-term, or season-ending list.

Frankly, I’d prefer CJ plays the year out at Box Hill. Let him be the best.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s just me, but I can see Jiath playing Gibson’s role in the future. It seems that’s what they’re moulding him to be at Box Hill. Elite 3rd man up spoiler, he definitely has the attributes to play this role. Anybody else see this?
Absolutely.

I just hope we take our time with him, let him learn, while also secretly hoping we fast-track him.

He's improving, but I still think he's a little way off.

If we look like missing the 8, then maybe he gets a few games late

CJ needs to be upgraded before he can play and we lose that upgrade spot if we take part in the mid-season draft which is only just over a week away on the 27th May. So there won't be any late decision to play him it's either now or next year.

Absolutely.

I just hope we take our time with him, let him learn, while also secretly hoping we fast-track him.
The ol' Abasi Paradox, where we simultaneously take both more and less time

I don’t understand this. CJ can be upgraded based on long term injury. TM ???
If this is the case Birch future has to come in to play.
I still understand we will still use the Draft.
We’d be mad not to use the draft.

But then we’re sometimes mad...

We’d be mad not to use the draft.

But then we’re sometimes mad...

Why would we be mad not to use the draft?

It's not as though there are that many AFL level talents running around in the seconds, considering they had to nominate for the previous draft. If they were genuinely good enough they'd likely be on a list already.

There are a couple that are obviously showing a fair bit of interest but those will likely be gone by our first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would we be mad not to use the draft?

It's not as though there are that many AFL level talents running around in the seconds, considering they had to nominate for the previous draft. If they were genuinely good enough they'd likely be on a list already.

There are a couple that are obviously showing a fair bit of interest but those will likely be gone by our first pick.
Different story if what/whom we want are gone by our first pick.

The part I replied to was that Tops had said that he understands that we will use the draft. I'm sure he, like me, posted as though there were targets that we should seek to acquire via this draft, not that we should just grab some guys for the sake of it.

Do we actually have to use our pick in the draft or can we pass? Just occurred to me that if passing is an option then perhaps were going into the draft with a target in mind and if that doesn't evenuate then will pass and upgrade CJ instead.

I don’t understand this. CJ can be upgraded based on long term injury. TM ???
If this is the case Birch future has to come in to play.
I still understand we will still use the Draft.
Haven't had time to check but I thought i read someone say that Nash was promoted for TM which was blocking CJ being able to be promoted.

So with us passing on our pick, I guess CJ is in line for a promotion. Which is great for him, he deserves it. Looking forward to potentially seeing what he can do at an AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back