Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Really feels like he embodies the spirit of the way we're trying to play this year.

Maintains an attacking mindset. Courage to take risks. Confidence to not let mistakes prevent from taking further risks. And just generally enjoying the game and having fun playing.

He's a spiritual leader in the same way Hodge was when he wasn't captain but he embodied all the traits a young pre-2008 Hawks side was trying to be.
Well said.

I actually agree with a lot of this, but, just think that he will develop better as a footballer down back. We need to focus on what is going to benefit us in the long term, not this year.

Too many teams bottoming out or rebuilding get desperate and try and rush things, we need a good solid 3/4 year plan.

Clarko loves players to serve an apprenticeship down back. I agree, I think it fast tracks development. I copied Clarkos blue print (why wouldn't you he is brilliant) and rotated all my kids though the backline while coaching. The improvements were obvious and quicker. Players spent large portions of the game up forward uninvolved in anyway. Playing back fast-tracks your ability to play and perform under pressure.

Just every now and then a talent comes along (CJ) that needs letting off the leash a bit (a la Buddy). I would love to see it happen but know that Clarko is unlikely to make that change as he is has a tried and proven methodology in developing players.

EDIT: I am just a bit frustrated at how often our hard work going forward ends up a long bomb or goes unrewarded. Add to that the ball gets waltzed out to easily. Spoilt I suppose in recent times. :)

Last edited:
Hardwick gave CJ a vote for each error that resulted in a Richmond goal. Love his endeavour and his enormous promise for sure but that is the reality of CJ at the moment

Imo Scrimshaw, if fit, takes his place back there. He has sure hands, is a great mark and is a beautiful user. He is not has flashy as CJ but will work better in a system orientated defence.

Agree with some other posters. Start playing him with the forward group. His tireless chasing, blocking, contesting, marking and 'chaos' will give the opposition nightmares. He is exactly what we lack up front. We used to have Cyril and Poppy making other teams look over their shoulder. Now we are vanilla and predictable.

Imo our defence can stand on its own (Day hurts and may change things). Up forward we desperately lack X-Factor. Kosi and Lewis have played 24 games between them. TOB is unreliable. Brockman needs games and Breustt is still a star. CJ could transform the front half.

Not sure I agree. CJ is an incredible talent, so much untapped potential and his rate of improvement is unlike anything I've seen before..

He must stay in the team, every game he plays is so damn valuable.

Not sure if you were at the game to see what he did live. Easily our most promising youngster. He's played 9 games. Gets coaches votes and you want to move him forward. He is a game breaker. We haven't had one of these for a while. Now we have 3 in Day CJ and Impey up back.

The game is a run from the back half game again now due to the stand rule. Not sure if you have noticed but our running defence is now our greatest asset.
Different role, I know - but you can't leave Frost off this list; he's been brilliant with his rebounding run.

Not sure I agree. CJ is an incredible talent, so much untapped potential and his rate of improvement is unlike anything I've seen before..

He must stay in the team, every game he plays is so damn valuable.
Don't want him out you misread my post. Want that talent on the other end of the ground. Sooner rather than later.

At the end of the year we will be looking at one up and coming stars of the competition. He is now ready to improve to take his game to another level. Just cut out the mistakes and brain fades and he will become elite

Yet multiple people on here were suggesting he should have been delisted at the end of last year.

Clarko loves players to serve an apprenticeship down back. I agree, I think it fast tracks development. I copied Clarkos blue print (why wouldn't you he is brilliant) and rotated all my kids though the backline while coaching. The improvements were obvious and quicker. Players spent large portions of the game up forward uninvolved in anyway. Playing back fast-tracks your ability to play and perform under pressure.

Just every now and then a talent comes along (CJ) that needs letting off the leash a bit (a la Buddy). I would love to see it happen but know that Clarko is unlikely to make that change as he is has a tried and proven methodology in developing players.

EDIT: I am just a bit frustrated at how often our hard work going forward ends up a long bomb or goes unrewarded. Add to that the ball gets waltzed out to easily. Spoilt I suppose in recent times. :)

Oh to have a few tall key forwards who can take contested marks... hopefully Lewis gets a game soon and brings his BHH form...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My new favourite player. Things happen when he gets the ball. Not all of those things are great but many are and vitally, his rate of improvement this year has been incredible. He’d be winning our most improved player quite comfortably 3 weeks in. I just love that his mindset is to attack and create at all times.

With his athleticism, he has huge upside if it all comes together and this rate of improvement continues.

What an exciting talent. He is going to be a league-wide favourite by the end of this season. Everyone will love watching him.
That 50m penalty he took and then bolted off and nearly kicked the goal was scintillating. The crowd just erupts when he does stuff like that. Not since Bud/ Cyril have I seen a Hawks crowd so enamoured with a player.

That 50m penalty he took and then bolted off and nearly kicked the goal was scintillating. The crowd just erupts when he does stuff like that. Not since Bud/ Cyril have I seen a Hawks crowd so enamoured with a player.
As soon as he was awarded the 50 I knew he was going to take off. After seeing the Geelong player try it a bit earlier I knew he'd be keen to put his burst of speed to use the same way.

I recall being fascinated by his story in the lead up to his first game in 2019. Took me a number of attempts to pronounce his name correctly, I can’t quite explain it but I just felt it necessary and respectful to learn his name despite him commonly being known as CJ.

His parents fled war ravaged South Sudan to Ethiopia if I recall correctly, and he is born in a refugee camp. It’s quite unfathomable for me to comprehend what people within these nations go through, especially from such a privileged position that I’m commenting from in a wonderful and opportunistic country like Australia.

The conditions he would’ve lived in, the despair and heartache his family would’ve been through. To then have the opportunity to migrate to here, and start again with essentially nothing but each other. A new country, new language, new culture. New opportunities.

I thought to myself at that time, wow how incredible has he done to land a scholarship to Xavier College and then earn a place on Hawthorn’s list. Presumably he is now earning a sufficient income to be able to support his parents and siblings. Just brilliant, heart warming stuff.

And fast forward to now, look at how good he is. The rate of improvement has been staggering. The bloke is magnificent to watch, I want the ball in his hands and to see him glide across the turf. Never would’ve guessed it would turn out like this, and who knows where his ceiling is.

From what he’s come from, it really is just an amazing story all round. I can only applaud his courage and determination. Absolutely brilliant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back