Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

I really didn't think it was possible for him to be this good this fast, never doubted his potential but i definitely was unsure if he was going to be ready to be a serious contributor this year.

What he is doing to start the year is easily the silver lining of this team. Absolute star in the making

His rate of improvement in 12 months is amazing. He was miles off it last year. But he’d be in our top 3 players over the first three games.

He’s clean with the ground ball, he’s making good decisions after his burst runs, his footskills are tidy and his positioning is improving every week (can’t recall him being caught out like last week).

He’s also the most exciting player we’ve had since Cyril and buddy.

I really didn't think it was possible for him to be this good this fast, never doubted his potential but i definitely was unsure if he was going to be ready to be a serious contributor this year.

What he is doing to start the year is easily the silver lining of this team. Absolute star in the making
You’re better than me. I doubted the whole lot. Had him axed and told several mates he was a list clogger.

I’m currently sitting down to a serving of humble pie, but I’m loving it!

Can’t we use him off the back of the square in center bounces? Seems to be the place we need most of a boost
This is what excites me - the possibilities. With his rapid rate of football improvement and natural athletic capabilities, I think he can definitely be used as a burst player further up the field. I’d like to see us give him some small cameos on ball, wing, up forward while playing the bulk of his footy down back mastering that craft this year. When we get Sicily, Day and DGB into side, we need some of these half back guns being able to play multiple roles.

His rate of improvement in 12 months is amazing. He was miles off it last year. But he’d be in our top 3 players over the first three games.

He’s clean with the ground ball, he’s making good decisions after his burst runs, his footskills are tidy and his positioning is improving every week (can’t recall him being caught out like last week).

He’s also the most exciting player we’ve had since Cyril and buddy.

Just wait till his buddy Downie gets going. There were glimpses of real chemistry in the practice games

Can’t help but look forward to how good he is going to be at 40 games, has only played a handful now and the improvements are scary good. Love how he just takes the game on. Can live with the occasional mistake as the good he does outweighs the bad easy.

Could CJ be leading our best & fairest award if it was done right now? No doubt he’s been in the top 5 in terms of performance.

Round 1: 22 disposals - 4 marks - 2 tackles
Round 2: 25 disposals - 8 marks - 3 rebound 50s
Round 3: 23 disposals - 10 marks - 6 rebound 50s

The kids at the games ABSOLUTELY love him. There will be a huge jump in number 29s on jumpers next year.

He is becoming a star and gee is he exciting to watch.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Yeah my son now wants a new Hawthorn footy jumper with number 29 on the back

His acceleration from a stand still is insane. There was a couple times yesterday where he was basically stationary trying to gather a loose ball and there were Geelong players already running in prepared to tackle once he collected it. But once he gets off the line he's pretty much moving as quickly as those players and then it's only a second later and he's already putting distance on them.

That acceleration could make him a super dangerous inside mid eventually. Would go nicely with that fend off he showed us last week.

When he gets going off half back the crowd noticeably lifts and you can see the panic in the defenders. In time he’s going to build synergy with the days, scrimshaw, downie s, wingard etc who are going to feed off CJ breaking up the zone and creating space.

Next time we’re well behind in a game I’d love for Clarko to put him forward - just for the fans - and tell the team to kick it into space over his head (good luck defenders chasing him) or out in front.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a big bit of improvement defensively has also come from his decision making as to when to go for the ball in the air.

Often last year he'd fly at absolutely everything, whether we outnumbered their players or not, and would sometimes mess up and give away goals.

You watch him now, he's taking every aerial contest on its own merits and thinking about whether to fly, stay on the ground, or intercept before the pack.

It's a big, big improvement in a very short period of time.

Love how he and Impey are fighting over controlling the air space. Both wanting the intercept. Imagine when Sic and DGB are also patrolling. It's nuts.
the backline is stacked at the moment.
hardwick, hartigan and frost
Impey scrimshaw and CJ
Day and Sicily out injured
DGB, Downie and Greaves hanging to get run

I noticed a couple of times that as he accelerates away from Cats players, he would then shift slightly to his right (so he is not running in a straight line), ‘buys’ a bit more time for himself and then kicks/handballs. Almost like he can hear footsteps coming closer without actually turning around and looking. Signs of a player getting more confident with his natural talents. Did anyone else notice that?

His acceleration from a stand still is insane. There was a couple times yesterday where he was basically stationary trying to gather a loose ball and there were Geelong players already running in prepared to tackle once he collected it. But once he gets off the line he's pretty much moving as quickly as those players and then it's only a second later and he's already putting distance on them.

That acceleration could make him a super dangerous inside mid eventually. Would go nicely with that fend off he showed us last week.

In round one he caught right up to Tippa, who had a good 5/10m head start on him. His acceleration is ridiculous.

take a look. He was actually out on the wing when the ball was crossed to Burgers.

Your a horrible man for making us watch that again.:straining:
To think, if he doesn't stop when Hawkins gets the ball he would have been level with Clarke when the
ball was handballed back to him.

Your a horrible man for making us watch that again.:straining:
To think, if he doesn't stop when Hawkins gets the ball he would have been level with Clarke when the
ball was handballed back to him.
Superb effort to even get back into frame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back