Universal Love Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

cryptor

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His thigh was heavily strapped vs Sandy last week and seemed to be struggling to run at full pace, that could be a factor too.
Looked hampered the whole game. A player of his style really needs fully functioning legs
Spoke with him tonight. The corkie was nasty and has definitely held him back from being able to play to his strengths. Reckons he's over it now so expect to see a lot of improvement in his performances.

Mercy Seat

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Connor Downie (13 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal)
"Connor took a step in the right direction, using his physical attributes to his advantage this week. He still needs to get more comfortable playing against men and taking a tackle. The physicality of the level continues to be a bit of a challenge for him. He went on-ball late in the game and showed some promising signs with his work-rate as well as kicking a late goal."

Doesn't sound like he'll be getting a seniors game for a little while yet.

rei154

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Connor Downie (16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles)
"Connor took a big step in the right direction, playing much more of a man's game on the weekend. He was able to take the tackle and show some of his polish on the outside of the contest as well with some very clean touches. He ranked highly for score involvements on the ground. He looked his most comfortable at the level so far this year."

rei154

Club Legend
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given what's written above it seems like he's the kind of person who listens to feedback and takes it on pretty quick.

Given he missed a full year worth of game development I think he's tracking quite nicely and wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks a game or two at the end before taking on a much bigger role next year.

Watching him play on the weekend has convinced me that the club is doing a lot right at the minute with our rebuild- and I have a sneaking feeling that we're more advanced than people give us credit for.

CHUBBSS

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Perhaps the North loss really was rock bottom.
Personally think it was saints and north game had a big of string pulling but the good news is we have bottomed out whichever way you look it.

I still think downie will be the biggest steal of the draft, will push for captain as well, and when you look at day, dgb, downie, Kozzi, reeves, cj, worpel, Morrison, theirs the next leadership
Group.

TylerDurden

Premium Platinum
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Personally think it was saints and north game had a big of string pulling but the good news is we have bottomed out whichever way you look it.

I still think downie will be the biggest steal of the draft, will push for captain as well, and when you look at day, dgb, downie, Kozzi, reeves, cj, worpel, Morrison, theirs the next leadership
Group.
Scrimshaw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mustang

All Australian
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United

Group.
Hopefully we don’t rise enough to lose pick 2.

Roger Rogerson

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2006
Malvern East
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Group.
Downie looked to have so much more energy on the weekend. Smart player. Clean, good decision maker and good execution. Reminds me of Birchall.

Jazzfan

Senior List
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Connor Downie (16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles)
"Connor took a big step in the right direction, playing much more of a man's game on the weekend. He was able to take the tackle and show some of his polish on the outside of the contest as well with some very clean touches. He ranked highly for score involvements on the ground. He looked his most comfortable at the level so far this year."
Love it.

Remove this Banner Ad