Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Really strong development from Downie all year and now we can officially say good first game!

Can anyone check what the stats are for players going at 100% in game 1?

View attachment 1205766
How does he have 1x turnover, yet maintain 100% DE? Unless the turnover was deliberate?

Really happy to see Connor Downie do well in his first game for the club , like his skills and decision making.

I really hope Downie isn’t one of the omissions next week. Give him another game.
I would have thought he'd earned a spot next week- 12 at 100% isn't a bad effort.
Only reason I could see him missing is if they're wanting to have the senior heads in for the send off.

If you have the AFL app check out Connor's stats in the tracker.

Of all players on the ground...

1st for total distance covered at high speed.
3rd for total distance covered.
1st for average moving speed.
3rd average speed in attack.
2nd for average speed in defence.

He's a workhorse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a workhorse.
Bit like Brad Hill in his early days working hard but not being given the pill.

That is very very promising from CD.

He's a workhorse.
Love these stats. Would love the coaches this week to be instilling him with the confidence to drive the ball long with with his leg. Thought he second guessed himself a couple of times then just went laterally… want him to take on the Issy Smith role!

Sounds like a young man who has seriously bought into the program and is going to put the hard yards in for us.
Little smirk when talking about Sammy getting into him about his right foot and him getting one off in game was great- the buy-in that Sammy seems to have with the young brigade makes me incredibly excited for the next chapter.

Sam made some comments in his VFL game wraps early in the year that implied Connor was a bit soft in the contest, and it had me worried as I could see that too when watching him play, but after watching him on the weekend the fears of him not being able to put his body over the ball have gone.

He's a bit of a conundrum though in the way he moves, as he looks like he's putting in half efforts and not pushing himself, but his numbers(GPS) say otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back