Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What's happened with this lad?
I was expecting him to push through for a handful of games this season.
Definitely got the attribute we need.

Has had a touch start to his career. Killer Cormier strapped up for almost all of 2021 and reoccuring hamstrings limiting him to only 2 games in a row once.

Showed a bit in the Gold Coast VFL game kicking two goals.

I'd keep him. 6'1 winger with a solid build.

I reckon at best he's 50/50 to be on the list in 2023.
Won't at all surprise if he's delisted, as I think the queries on his temperament in the contest might have already stamped his papers in the mind of our coach.

Won't at all surprise if he's delisted, as I think the queries on his temperament in the contest might have already stamped his papers in the mind of our coach.
Has the feel for one of those "we'll pick you back up with our last rookie pick if you're still available" situations.

Alas i think you might be right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems detached from the reports on him before he was drafted. Was a leader etc etc and good character. Wasn't a whiff of this that I caught wind of.

His career on edge all comes down who else might be available as others have said. Given we haven't had 2 normal years I won't be unhappy if he gets a 1 year deal and it might be enough if he is hung out a bit to get him focussed and driven.

It's been a glaring issues since he debuted, I feel a player drafted in the first 2 rounds should be given 3 years so i hope he gets an extra year to show traits he had in his under 18's.

When was the last time we delisted a top 40 draftee within 2 years?

Can only think of Lovell.....and that was attitude related.

Suspect he gets 2023 as a last chance, might even be on the rookie list
Even Lovell got 3 years, with the covid years I don't see why Downie would get delisted just yet.

Elite kick that can roost it 55m with little issue. He was looking really good in pre-season, and then the injury issues arose.

No way we delist someone with that kind of weapon after two years, when he hasn't had a chance to get a clear run at it.
Good memory he was an emergency round 1 yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back