Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

After this whole rona experience I think it's safe to say that China owed us this one.
Was it worth it? Do you think it's a good joke that Downie would like?

wheelie_hawk

Senior List
Oct 7, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
This kid is a friend of my son's at Balwyn High - he looks like a great prospect, but if nothing else, he's a super nice guy

Seems really humble to, mentioned in the interview that he catches public transport everywhere as the family don't own a car and that taught him a lot about himself. Great signs, can't wait for him to get going. Welcome upside! ;):cool:

I like the fact that he is physically bulked up already.

We always seem to get the scrawny ones.

The next Dusty.

The thighs.

AD670652-CC68-477D-A676-57C7F83882B9.jpeg

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Great to have him on board. Has some great attributes, I really love his kicking.

Welcome Connor.
Watching his highlights it stands out how sweetly he times the ball when kicking.

His kicks seem to go an extra 10m further than you think they will.

In the age of zone defences and flooding the backline having a player who can hoof it over the defensive line is very valuable (Dusty is a master of this skill)

Don't need laser passes, just need to get it over the top with distance.

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B

Very similar build to the great Dipper himself with the big barrel chest and even got the dipper mullet!

A powerfuly built mid/wing is something we have been in desparate need off to better balance our fleet of light endurance athletes.
If the bloke turns out to be half as good as Dipper we'll have an absolute beauty on our hands.

Welcome aboard!!

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
Surely not after what happened with Mozzie?
Mozzie was a rookie at best
Dodo tried to screw us
[/QUOTE]

As much as I despise the man I hardly think he bid on mozzie to try and “screw us” As shown this year, this kid can really play and getting him for a pick in the 50’s was really good business by them. Very unlucky that he did an ACL this year

Mozzie was a rookie at best
Dodo tried to screw us

As much as I despise the man I hardly think he bid on mozzie to try and “screw us” As shown this year, this kid can really play and getting him for a pick in the 50’s was really good business by them. Very unlucky that he did an ACL this year
[/QUOTE]
Bit early to suggest he can really play, he's played 3 games for 3 goals. But I agree Dodo, and other clubs, don't tend to waste draft picks to "screw" with other teams

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Bit early to suggest he can really play, he's played 3 games for 3 goals. But I agree Dodo, and other clubs, don't tend to waste draft picks to "screw" with other teams
[/QUOTE]
Dodo did bid on two players at one pick and then passed and then came back and matched a bid for Brand. I appreciate there is a kind of logic to what they did but also a kind of cynical manoeuvring at play.

Honesty Seeker

Draftee
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Anyone know Downie's father's history? Only mentions mother's Chinese. Did his father play anywhere in the 'urbs p'haps?

Wow! What a left peg. Kicks it half as hard for twice the distance. Seems like he shouldn't kick it at all and it'd go the length of the ground.

Back