Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

It ain't a polo top, but he is under the statue so I guess that sorta makes it official.
Good of you to post in our forum, we don't often get people named after geelong players posting here.

Aug 15, 2009
The Riverina
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can you remember if he did any of the preseason last year?
Yeah he did a week or two with us. I remember turning up on a day when the training session wasn't going ahead or had been rescheduled at late notice but Connor was out there with some other boys going through their paces. I was there with houdinihuddo I think, I remember we were very impressed with his speed and kicking.

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah he did a week or two with us. I remember turning up on a day when the training session wasn't going ahead or had been rescheduled at late notice but Connor was out there with some other boys going through their paces. I was there with houdinihuddo I think, I remember we were very impressed with his speed and kicking.

Wasn't the same day I met you, was it Axeman?

Good of you to post in our forum, we don't often get people named after geelong players posting here.
It seems nice in here. I might even post here again, assuming the natives are laidback and won't throw things at me or something. Such a pleasant environment... would anyone mind if I asked specific questions on game plans and injuries and stuff? Just from natural curiosity, of course. :innocent:

It seems nice in here. I might even post here again, assuming the natives are laidback and won't throw things at me or something. Such a pleasant environment... would anyone mind if I asked specific questions on game plans and injuries and stuff? Just from natural curiosity, of course. :innocent:
Of course! We're nothing like you illiterate geelong suckholes. I'm surprised that, with Smith's defection, you can still read; to be honest.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just keep missing those clutch goals and you’re welcome

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I believe Zach Ried was one of the other players who trained with us during that period

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Yup, we got him while he was still rated as merely an outside/HBF type, but he is clearly built to be more than that.
If he could develop his contested game to a decent level we could have a special player on our hands.
His huge kick + running power just makes him so valuable.

I'm fine with the idea of Downie becoming a wingman for us. That pace (not elite burst but is quick enough to create some space for himself) and his elite booming kick, in particular, are what we need. I just want him to be able to hold his own in physical contests, as he doesn't need to become a dominant inside mid for us to be a quality contributor.

Slick

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
Berwick
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So what's the expectations on Downie this year? Will he be running around for Box Hill for most part or will he get the call up for seniors at some stage?
It's going to be dependent on how we're travelling. In all likelihood he doesn't debut in the early rounds, but if we're having a year like last year, he'll be a shot to play a half-dozen games.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
If we're bottom 6, then he should play at least 5 games.

Agreed. Will be interesting with the growing number of young kids there abouts, who will get the games. Expect Day is now a regular, with Howe, Glass, Downie, Finn, Moore, Greaves, Morris, Cousins, Morrison, Nash, CJ, Hanrahan, etc all pushing to get one of the few spots on the bench.

So what's the expectations on Downie this year? Will he be running around for Box Hill for most part or will he get the call up for seniors at some stage?
I'm expecting he'll run around at Box Hill for at least the first month. If he's performing then maybe starts getting on the emergency list. Expecting Scully and Phillips to line up on the wings round 1, but hope there isn't anywhere near as much tolerance for poor performances next season. Finn and Downie should be knocking the door down for those spots.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Looks a little Daniel Rich to me (although maybe I’m just looking for it)

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Agreed. Will be interesting with the growing number of young kids there abouts, who will get the games. Expect Day is now a regular, with Howe, Glass, Downie, Finn, Moore, Greaves, Morris, Cousins, Morrison, Nash, CJ, Hanrahan, etc all pushing to get one of the few spots on the bench.
Glass is in Ireland, long way from the bench on the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back