Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see any point not playing him 15 games. We aren't playing finals next year and in modern footy we have seen so many kids come in year one and have an impact.

Plenty on here have mentioned he has the body already, gee, Will Day hardly did. All reports are he was also the most professional kid in the draft.

If he is going to play wing/half-back, I don't see any reason we don't just start getting games into him at all. Same with Grainger-Barras, same with Maginess.

Go aggressive now, take the pain, and try hit back quickly.

Last edited:
Maginness, Downie, DBG and Brockman should all be fast tracked.
Maginess I'm hoping will take Shiels' spot, DGB will slide into our backline in the first month of the season, Downie to take a wing from Scully, Brockman to take over the Hanrahan style role.

I'm really excited for Morris and Brockman to come through together- I get really good vibes from them both!

Maginess I'm hoping will take Shiels' spot, DGB will slide into our backline in the first month of the season, Downie to take a wing from Scully, Brockman to take over the Hanrahan style role.

I'm really excited for Morris and Brockman to come through together- I get really good vibes from them both!

Shiels and Scully's time is about done. Hopefully Downie and Finn impress early on and we never look back.

Shiels and Scully's time is about done. Hopefully Downie and Finn impress early on and we never look back.
Scully has at least 2-3 years left, doing what he does.
It's whether 'what he does' is utilised/valuable to us.

I'd love to think we can make effective use of his talents.

Scully has at least 2-3 years left, doing what he does.
It's whether 'what he does' is utilised/valuable to us.

I'd love to think we can make effective use of his talents.

I hope we can because the Scully at GWS was a brilliant wingman.

However the version we have seen has been Hartung-esque at the contest and has lost any kicking ability he once had.

He needs to have a big season.

Looks a little Daniel Rich to me (although maybe I’m just looking for it)
Nowhere near the lard carrying capability of Rich.

Nowhere near the lard carrying capability of Rich.

Hopefully more scope for improvement than Rich too. Don't get me wrong, Rich is a good player but he's been effectively the same since he was drafted.

Hopefully more scope for improvement than Rich too. Don't get me wrong, Rich is a good player but he's been effectively the same since he was drafted.
Totally agree.
Like you said - nothing against him & his career - but I'd have hoped for much more development as his career progressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such fine margins.
When he was drafted one could easily have expected Rich to become a Sam Mitchell type with a bigger kick, better running capacity and positional versatility.
In the end he stayed as what he was. Mitchell not only became a better contested player over the first part of his career, he then excelled in the last 5-6 seasons as the quarterback from all stoppages.

If we stuck these players in the seniors before their time, the same posters will be complaining that they aren’t making a big enough impact.

Nah. And I'd rather watch Maginess, Downie, etc try and find their feet than watch Scully falling all over the place and turning it over.

We won't be a finals side next year, so let's develop the players that are likely to be our future.

Nah. And I'd rather watch Maginess, Downie, etc try and find their feet than watch Scully falling all over the place and turning it over.

We won't be a finals side next year, so let's develop the players that are likely to be our future.
Fine line there though. I’m definitely for playing the kids but there needs to be a balance.
I think with the clean out of 2020 there will be an exciting change of the guard. If those guys can make their mark early I’d be stoked! I certainly wouldn’t be pushing guys like Scully out just yet with a return to the MCG and UTas with full length quarters. I have a feeling that Scully may yet repay the faith

I find the use of emojis by official team Twitter accounts as very offensive
If they're going to use Twitter, may as well adopt the modus operandi; trivial, juvenile and sensationalist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back