Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He literally trained like rocky every day and stuck to his plan and came back in ripping fitness...all by his own doing. He will play minimum 200 games for us, what a kid!

I think we got incredibly lucky that he didn’t get a chance to play last year and his off field leadership skills are a real surprise.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Loved that vid. His parents seem like nerdy academic types (like my parents). Not your typical footy family and I like how his dad says that this shows how determined he is - this is “his thing”.

Shows pretty huge dedication to footy and improvement and his leadership skills are very impressive

Got a good one here I feel

Sleutheren

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Bookmark it, the first time she runs down Dangerfield inside attacking 50

Sent from my CPH1803 using Tapatalk
R6GA0t.gif

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I honestly think his mum will do more for attracting Asian people (and particularly chinese) to footy than Connor will.
I grew up in a very multicultural community. The Asian kids that liked footy stopped playing because their parents stopped them. Having a parent support the desire to play will do more keeping them in the game.
My wife (a teacher) has seen more students at her school in springvale wearing hawks stuff since Connor was recruited, so just having an Asian (even though they are vietnamese) has given them something to attach themselves to.

I do like the idea of her lining up dangerfield though.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Made sub on debut and now managed after not getting on the park!! Terribly handled so far.
It is weird. He starred against the Dogs (just a practice game but they threw a bit at us). Quality opposition.

CJ might be exciting but Scrim and Downie ooze footy nous.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is weird. He starred against the Dogs (just a practice game but they threw a bit at us). Quality opposition.

CJ might be exciting but Scrim and Downie ooze footy nous.
ASre you suggesting we shouldn't pick CJ? Have you not seen him through out the preseason

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Made sub on debut and now managed after not getting on the park!! Terribly handled so far.

Yep, some absolutely baffling decisions from the club over the last few weeks.

Imagine being "managed" after the let down of riding the pine as an unused sub, after having the fanfare of a "debut" video released. Laughable.

But he needed to play this week so at least there's that.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really think not playing him sooner is to our disadvantage, more run and attack increasing our score would be important.

His debut as sub and now the drop, well the less said the better, fairly perplexing now.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
ASre you suggesting we shouldn't pick CJ? Have you not seen him through out the preseason
Yep and he was ordinary against the Dogs. Had good hit outs against North and the Bombers who will battle for the spoon. Form line yet to be proven.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Yep, some absolutely baffling decisions from the club over the last few weeks.

Imagine being "managed" after the let down of riding the pine as an unused sub, after having the fanfare of a "debut" video released. Laughable.

But he needed to play this week so at least there's that.
Pretty sure a ruckman was going to come off and Downie would have got a quarter and a bit if the game wasnt so tight

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep and he was ordinary against the Dogs. Had good hit outs against North and the Bombers who will battle for the spoon. Form line yet to be proven.
Was he awful againist the Dogs? Best performer on the track over the pre season has killed it in every intraclub match. This isn't the 2020 CJ he's performed and deserves his spot, Downie shouldn't get a game just for being young.

No wonder I have you on ignore.

But I had to check when someone asked the blank box "are you suggesting we shouldn't pick CJ?", and I had to actually check.

laughable.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No wonder I have you on ignore.

But I had to check when someone asked the blank box "are you suggesting we shouldn't pick CJ?", and I had to actually check.

laughable.
Wow. I rate Srim higher than CJ and opinions like that are ignore worthy? How will I sleep tonight? Grumble on.

CJ has played 7 games. Hardly a gimme best 22.

Back