Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Connor Downie - #35 2020 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

His thigh was heavily strapped vs Sandy last week and seemed to be struggling to run at full pace, that could be a factor too.
Looked hampered the whole game. A player of his style really needs fully functioning legs
Spoke with him tonight. The corkie was nasty and has definitely held him back from being able to play to his strengths. Reckons he's over it now so expect to see a lot of improvement in his performances.

Connor Downie (13 disposals, 2 marks, 1 tackle, 1 goal)
"Connor took a step in the right direction, using his physical attributes to his advantage this week. He still needs to get more comfortable playing against men and taking a tackle. The physicality of the level continues to be a bit of a challenge for him. He went on-ball late in the game and showed some promising signs with his work-rate as well as kicking a late goal."

Doesn't sound like he'll be getting a seniors game for a little while yet.

Connor Downie (16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles)
"Connor took a big step in the right direction, playing much more of a man's game on the weekend. He was able to take the tackle and show some of his polish on the outside of the contest as well with some very clean touches. He ranked highly for score involvements on the ground. He looked his most comfortable at the level so far this year."

Given what's written above it seems like he's the kind of person who listens to feedback and takes it on pretty quick.

Given he missed a full year worth of game development I think he's tracking quite nicely and wouldn't be surprised if he sneaks a game or two at the end before taking on a much bigger role next year.

Watching him play on the weekend has convinced me that the club is doing a lot right at the minute with our rebuild- and I have a sneaking feeling that we're more advanced than people give us credit for.

Perhaps the North loss really was rock bottom.
Personally think it was saints and north game had a big of string pulling but the good news is we have bottomed out whichever way you look it.

I still think downie will be the biggest steal of the draft, will push for captain as well, and when you look at day, dgb, downie, Kozzi, reeves, cj, worpel, Morrison, theirs the next leadership
Group.

Personally think it was saints and north game had a big of string pulling but the good news is we have bottomed out whichever way you look it.

I still think downie will be the biggest steal of the draft, will push for captain as well, and when you look at day, dgb, downie, Kozzi, reeves, cj, worpel, Morrison, theirs the next leadership
Group.
Scrimshaw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Group.

Hopefully we don’t rise enough to lose pick 2.

Group.
Downie looked to have so much more energy on the weekend. Smart player. Clean, good decision maker and good execution. Reminds me of Birchall.

Connor Downie (16 disposals, 4 marks, 3 tackles)
"Connor took a big step in the right direction, playing much more of a man's game on the weekend. He was able to take the tackle and show some of his polish on the outside of the contest as well with some very clean touches. He ranked highly for score involvements on the ground. He looked his most comfortable at the level so far this year."

Love it.

Really strong development from Downie all year and now we can officially say good first game!

Can anyone check what the stats are for players going at 100% in game 1?

D1550BB5-E9A7-4DA2-A342-098BA08C35CE.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back