Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just some basic analysis of Connor's game and progression so far:

20 games (7 wins) in 2022, 21 games (7 win in 2023). Note: unused sub once in 2022, subbed out twice in 2023.

20 possession games
2022: 0
2023: 7

1+ goal games
2022: 8
2023: 10

Coaches votes
2023: 11

'Peak performance (thus far)' game: 28 possessions, 2 goals and 3 assists against Grand Finallist Brisbane. Both coaches gave BOG.

Connor actually spent less time at centre bounces in '23 than in '22 (0.7 vs 1.0 CBA's per game, 2.6% vs 3.4%) but...
These are the areas that increased by at least 20% - disposals, uncontested possessions, metres gained, score involvements and tackles.
These are other areas that also improved - goals, assists, marks, disposal efficiency, inside 50's, rebound 50's, intercepts, pressure acts, one percenters, tackles inside 50 and ground ball gets.

Despite all these increases, Connor reduced his clangers and frees against significantly, demonstrating he is getting smarter as a player with the exposure he is being given (or as I prefer to say, earning).

He has obviously gotten fitter, is better at getting to the right spots (the biggest improvement) and is finding more ways to have an impact (with and without the ball).

I'm excited to see his further development in 2024.

Last edited:
Just some basic analysis of Connor's game and progression so far:

20 games (7 wins) in 2022, 21 games (7 win in 2023). Note: unused sub once in 2022, subbed out twice in 2023.

20 possession games
2023: 7

1+ goal games
2022: 8
2023: 10

Coaches votes
2023: 11

'Ceiling' game: 28 possessions, 2 goals and 3 assists against Grand Finallist Brisbane. Both coaches gave BOG.

Connor actually spent less time at centre bounces in '23 than in '22 (0.7 vs 1.0 CBA's per game, 2.6% vs 3.4%) but...
These are the areas that increased by at least 20% - disposals, uncontested possessions, metres gained, score involvements and tackles.
These are other areas that also improved - goals, assists, marks, disposal efficiency, inside 50's, rebound 50's, intercepts, pressure acts, one percenters, tackles inside 50 and ground ball gets.

Despite all these increases, Connor reduced his clangers and frees against significantly, demonstrating he is getting smarter as a player with the exposure he is being given (or as I prefer to say, earning).

He has obviously gotten fitter, is better at getting to the right spots (the biggest improvement) and is finding more ways to have an impact (with and without the ball).

I'm excited to see his further development in 2024.
I love Moore, but in an ideal world Croc becomes a more explosive and smooth version of him in that HHF role. He's not a natural forward yet, but his workrate and power really shine through when he's given a bit of space to run off his opponent. Needs to work on his defensive application and get his tackling numbers up and start thinking about his opponent to move into the midfield, but as a forward his offensive arsenal can really shine through. Compare that to someone like Mackenzie or Ward who are really neat in close and do their best work around the stoppages, and I think it'd be best for the team to grow Croc's game as a forward under the best mentor for his style in Moore.

1709360719812.png
One thing that I really like about Croc is his roots.
From one of the dodgiest suburbs in the country, still involved with his community and I believe is a somewhat active role model to the youngsters in Doveton.
He popped up in a couple frames in a Spanian video which threw me off, but in some ways I was weirdly proud to see him there given how big for the community it was to have Spanian there.

View attachment 1917779
From one of the dodgiest suburbs in the country, still involved with his community and I believe is a somewhat active role model to the youngsters in Doveton.
He popped up in a couple frames in a Spanian video which threw me off, but in some ways I was weirdly proud to see him there given how big for the community it was to have Spanian there.
It's important to never forget where you're from so when you look back you can the see how far you've come

View attachment 1917779

Are you sure that's him, lad?

Feel like I’m living in an alternate universe, absolutely is not Croc. Not even the same facial structure
What’s it like over there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've read and listened to a lot of Hawthorn content this week and the murmurings have started related to Connor's form to start the season.

My view on this is yes, it's not been great, but we need to keep persisting with him. He is all quality and class, but more from an offensive / attacking perspective. This style of player is not particularly condusive to a team that's sat 16th on the ladder.

I believe that as the team continues to develop and improve, Connor will be more and more damaging; a real offensive weapon. Keep getting games into him.

Last edited:
I thought he tried hard on Sunday but kept getting caught out of position. The number of 'off hands' that went to the side or over him was quite amazing.

Another game they all go to him and he picks up 25. Persist.

Born to be a midfielder that kicks goals, patients is the answer
Maybe if he stopped moonlighting as a nurse he would have some energy to lay a tackle.

Croc's a great talent, but effort costs nothing and he's proven he can run when he wants to. He just has to start from a more defensive position around contests for a while to learn how to balance his game around both sides of the footy before he moves further up the field.

Maybe if he stopped moonlighting as a nurse he would have some energy to lay a tackle.

Croc's a great talent, but effort costs nothing and he's proven he can run when he wants to. He just has to start from a more defensive position around contests for a while to learn how to balance his game around both sides of the footy before he moves further up the field.
Spelling isn’t my forte…

His learning though, naturally a midfielder who wants to win the ball but is learning forward half game and being defensive. That mistake against Collingwood will be worth its weight in gold in two years. Just turned 21 and is part of the main cohort coming though but it will take a few years for them to all start being consistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back