Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

On what Serong and Long showed today, it might take a little more time, but they both looked alright. Serong especially.
Nothing whats a wrong with you?

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Check out his releasing handball to Morrison in the third with about 10:20 to go. It lead to a Gunston goal in the square.

Absolutely superb handball and vision.

Also Moore's reading of the tap and handball to MacDonald initially is quality too.
That play is insane with how fast he hits the ball, his become really consistent but this is just another string to add

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Check out his releasing handball to Morrison in the third with about 10:20 to go. It lead to a Gunston goal in the square.

Absolutely superb handball and vision.

Also Moore's reading of the tap and handball to MacDonald initially is quality too.

This is why I thought Moore if he was ever gonna make it, it would be as a mid. Reason he made the under 18 AA team playing as an inside mid.

Early days, but I think we can be confident that we've smashed our first two picks.

See what Butler and Long* can show this season, and perhaps Serong may be more of 'work-in-progress'

*I do worry about Long's speed and agility, but he's a aerobic mountain.

Early days, but I think we can be confident that we've smashed our first two picks.

See what Butler and Long* can show this season, and perhaps Serong may be more of 'work-in-progress'

*I do worry about Long's speed and agility, but he's a aerobic mountain.
1st and 3rd picks*

Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

This is why I thought Moore if he was ever gonna make it, it would be as a mid. Reason he made the under 18 AA team playing as an inside mid.

The Rock Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

RobHawk

All Australian
May 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Watching the highlights of our goals against port it is noticable how often Connor is part of the link (along with Dylan Moore). This skill to help create scoring opportunities will give him an edge over most mid fielders. Just give him a year or two and AA selection will beckon.

Everybody does hope/expect we can nail a first round draft pick (when we actually use it), especially if it's a low numbered pick. It's with fingers crossed that the kid becomes an A grader.

When it comes to a second pick, or in this case third pick, the hope is to grab another quality player. Not necessarily A grade, but still quality.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me as time goes on that we have somehow exceeded all expectations and grabbed at least two A graders in this draft, making it one of the more memorable drafts for the Hawthorn Football Club. Ward and MacDonald, Tango and Cash, I dream of a dynamic duo that'll take on all comers.

Like Hodgey and Buddy back in the day, I'm mentally demanding these kids become multiple premiership players for the Hawks. I'm all strapped in for the ride. Five minutes is far too long for a Hawks supporter to not experience an AFL flag so I've just gotta ask these kids - move yours butts I ain't got all day!

As long as I'm not putting too much pressure on them... I don't like asking for too much.

But another threepeat would be nice.

mustang

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds United
Everybody does hope/expect we can nail a first round draft pick (when we actually use it), especially if it's a low numbered pick. It's with fingers crossed that the kid becomes an A grader.

When it comes to a second pick, or in this case third pick, the hope is to grab another quality player. Not necessarily A grade, but still quality.

It's becoming more and more apparent to me as time goes on that we have somehow exceeded all expectations and grabbed at least two A graders in this draft, making it one of the more memorable drafts for the Hawthorn Football Club. Ward and MacDonald, Tango and Cash, I dream of a dynamic duo that'll take on all comers.

Like Hodgey and Buddy back in the day, I'm mentally demanding these kids become multiple premiership players for the Hawks. I'm all strapped in for the ride. Five minutes is far too long for a Hawks supporter to not experience an AFL flag so I've just gotta ask these kids - move yours butts I ain't got all day!

As long as I'm not putting too much pressure on them... I don't like asking for too much.

But another threepeat would be nice.

Hopefully the second round pick in Butler can come on also.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination

Gee number 8 for Port would have got an absolute blasting when going over the tape for that one.

theiaofseed

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee number 8 for Port would have got an absolute blasting when going over the tape for that one.
There's a few there that would cop a huge spray.

1. Byrne-Dones failed to protect the space and even blocked off Duursma's space, awfully slow to respond. 4 Port players just crowded around the contest twiddling their thumbs or Duursma needed to guard more space which would have allowed Byrne Jones to man MacDonald, just poor positioning.
2. Was Bonner responsible for manning MacDonald? MacDonald should have never been left alone on the inside just outside 50.
3. Why the hell did Motlop bump MacDonald, he needed to tackle ... even though he was late getting to the contest he still decided to bump instead of apply pressure to Morrison.
4. Sinn ended up ball watching and didn't pay attention to Morrison going around the back.
5. Bonner with his half heart chase at the end.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
this handball was special awareness and skill, great signs.
That handball

boner-robot.gif

Seriously though I remember when Cyril and Poppy used to connect on the tap forwards in a similar manner. The defence stood no chance because they were running at a totally different angle. This whole changing the angle / lines thing is something that has been discussed a fair bit throughout the preseason and is something that even the best defence cannot prepare for. Hopefully what McDonald pulls off in the above video is something that all our players are looking to do because it makes us highly unpredictable.

Back