Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think we'll see him win a rising star until the latter half of the season when the body of work noms come in, but jeez he's bloody good.
We're going to have a very good midfield unit in the near future again.

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Like others have mentioned, this kid is going to be special. Ward will be an ultra-consistent player for us, but MacDonald has match winner traits not many do. His impact on games already, in limited touches, is brilliant.

He reminds me exaclty of Zac Bailey, who I think is going to be an absolute star.

He has that centre-forward game that the very elite do in modern footy.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Is as close to the exact player we've been crying out for in the midfield as you could conceive.

Silky skills, pace, nous, and midfield smarts to burn.

Pinching myself at this point, had no idea we'd land a player like this with our 3rd roll of the dice in last year's draft.

Excited about Ward and Butler too. But bloody hell.... best Connor on the list so far even at this early stage!

One thing I noticed was he gave an absolute storming chase up the middle as Docherty was moving the ball through the corridor and made up a shitload of ground late in the last. No reward for it but he ran his guts out trying to pressure that kick.

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing I noticed was he gave an absolute storming chase up the middle as Docherty was moving the ball through the corridor and made up a shitload of ground late in the last. No reward for it but he ran his guts out trying to pressure that kick.
Docherty muffed the kick no? He got close enough that Docherty had to kick before he was ready and instead wasn’t able to hit a free target.

Blues still retained the ball but that was the sort of chasing and desperation we’ve been crying out for.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Saw that as well, it was excellent. He was clearly stuffed but chased his heart out.
Also loved his fend off, you can tell in just his 3rd game, his confidence is sky high that he is an AFL footballer. He could be something very special.

Docherty muffed the kick no? He got close enough that Docherty had to kick before he was ready and instead wasn’t able to hit a free target.

Blues still retained the ball but that was the sort of chasing and desperation we’ve been crying out for.
Yep can't be sure but definitely felt like he affected the kick

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Am so glad Mitchell has selected youth over experience e.g. DGB over Hartigan and C-Mac over Shiels.

Really hope we can get Ned Long in to the team soon as well and get a glimpse of Butler and Saunders at some stage.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Never.
Only one Silk.
Ever.

aa22831157546bd315cdaa085d50d555

Back