Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Connor MacDonald! Extended to 2025!

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
From my post in the Draft thread

From HS.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/05d4420e31f9d6a7eb2ead10f7a6f25a

Connor MacDonald (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Midfielder, 184cm, 77kg

MacDonald is reliable with great leadership qualities who proved to be a prolific ball-winner at NAB League level. The consistent midfielder led the way in the Stingrays’ engine room, averaging a tick under 30 disposals, 14 contested possessions and 5.5 clearances in four matches. He was the leading possession winner for Vic Country in their second trial game. Off the field, MacDonald blew several clubs away with his character in interviews, with some walking away saying he was among the best draft interviewees they had met."

Think this bloke is going to be an absolute steal in a few years time IMO. Probably goes 30-40 on draft night. Would love him at 24 to begin the rebuild of our engine room.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another young man of exceptional character, to add to Ward. You can't have enough of those at the club.

From earlier this year.

I have two Mids I am following closely, both bolters.

knightmare now has one of them top 10(Callaghan at 11 also).

8. Connor MacDonald
As a goalkicking midfielder, McDonald has several weapons. A strong contested ball winner and tackler, McDonald is a high-volume ball winner and combines this with acceleration, a high work rate and good skills. When used forward of centre, MacDonald presents an aerial marking threat and hits the scoreboard, averaging one goal per game so far in the NAB League despite playing predominantly through the midfield.

My guy Connor McDonald with another belter of a game on Saturday night.

View attachment 1171200

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nothing really stands out in his highlights clip - just solid skill execution and decision making.
If you can do a lot of that in a match then you become a very good, reliable player.
I hope he does that and doesn't find himself short of a trick.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nothing really stands out in his highlights clip - just solid skill execution and decision making.
If you can do a lot of that in a match then you become a very good, reliable player.
Bit under doing the man, i can't see many weaknesses, decent height at the mid 180s, 185 i think and that can go to 186/187 which is pretty good, athletically decent which clearly work on, not sure on his endurance but speed wise i like the burst and speed i have seen from him, has been kicking both feet comfortably, been damaging and creative by hand and foot. I like it.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
A little torn here. Would have loved Judson on face value but have to trust the recruiting team. Ball magnet, good kid and we need more young mids. Could do a lot worse.

The piece of footage that sums him up for me was the mark 30m or so out. Measures his run up, marks the spot to kick from. Methodical.

What’s his speed like?
He’s not super fast, but he’s quick enough.

Can expand on this? What does he add that we were missing?
Kicks goals, delivers well inside 50, positions himself well at centre bounces, gets his hands on it a lot, doesn’t mind tackling.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Funny nobody has tried to liken him to any super-duper champs.
That left foot kick to hit a target was a standout for me - he is a dual-footed kick?

He's just going to be one of those guys like Jordan Lewis, does a lot of very nice things, always in the game and use the ball well.
Sounds like his character is top class, so he will give a good shot.
Can't wait to see him develop.

Kicks goals, delivers well inside 50, positions himself well at centre bounces, gets his hands on it a lot, doesn’t mind tackling.

What I noticed, he has a bit of pace and he has great touch. The ability to accumulate ball is valuable too because that's a skill that in my experience tends to translate the best between levels.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks

Any real stand out traits / POD or just a good all round inside mid? How does he complement our current younger mids?

Any real stand out traits / POD or just a good all round inside mid? How does he complement our current younger mids?
Similarly to Ward, he has inside/outside game. Great work rate and character.

I assumed that we wouldn’t take him on the basis that he might be too similar to Ward, but it’s good to hear that McKenzie sees him as a possible half forward/wing also.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Similarly to Ward, he has inside/outside game. Great work rate and character.

I assumed that we wouldn’t take him on the basis that he might be too similar to Ward, but it’s good to hear that McKenzie sees him as a possible half forward/wing also.
He looks more contested than ward. More like Trent Cotchin in the way he plays, or at least played at the same age. Capable on the outside and kicks goals.

Back