Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to making 50 games.

People mention he is on the right trajectory in terms of performance, at how many games do you need to see a dominant display or a more consistent display?

As a midfielder you'd start to expect more from now on. Next year he will start to come under pressure if he doesn't start delivering.

Congrats to making 50 games.

People mention he is on the right trajectory in terms of performance, at how many games do you need to see a dominant display or a more consistent display?

As a midfielder you'd start to expect more from now on. Next year he will start to come under pressure if he doesn't start delivering.
Welcome to 50 you say.....how many games has he played as a mid?
Clarko played him out of position.

Welcome to 50 you say.....how many games has he played as a mid?
Clarko played him out of position.

Well said - pinch hitting in the ruck for several games has stifled his midfield development this year as well. Nash is a keeper, will only getter as his midfield and game IQ increases

50 games at AFL level is a great achievement requiring dedication and effort - so yes congrats.

You both make good points he has been played out of position (flanks and ruck) so give him more time. Fair enough.

Another 2 years in the middle to start exceeding? Approx 100 games.

Note: If you are a midfielder you should be able to rotate onto the flanks to mix up CBAs

Seemed to spend a bit of time behind the ball yesterday, especially second half. Would be interested to see his CBA numbers, reckon they would have been well down.

Seemed to spend a bit of time behind the ball yesterday, especially second half. Would be interested to see his CBA numbers, reckon they would have been well down.
Attended 4, part of the reason I think we were exploited so readily through the middle.

He was the only player capable of laying out any pressure. Was a game changer in the second quarter where we started to pull back momentum. Shame we couldn't apply any pressure to the scoreboard.
Laying pressure and tackling well is a great asset to the team, but we need some offensive spark from our big mid as well. We need him to get his hands on it more and use his size to break packs in order to stream forward out of the contest. I still have some hope he can do that but my confidence is diminishing by the week at the moment. Great defensively but we need more than that.

Wouldn’t get a game in the midfield for any other team. You can’t be getting 2 kicks a game playing midfield.

Nice guy but he’s a List clogger. Trade or delist. I doubt any club would pick him up.

There‘s 8 to 9 players on the list that aren’t up to it. They need to be cut and bring in 5 picks in the ND, 2 free agents and a couple of rookies.

Nash, Morrison, Phillips, Shiels, Hartigan, BB, S Mitchell, Downee, Callow, Lynch, Howe need to be cut to make room for the new crop.

Coach Killer.
true for all except Lynch ....he is ok and stays

We probably need some back up so fair enough. We need to draft another Ruck.
Lynch has shown he can play ....the issue is he can't play 4 qtrs and fades out ....ie tank ....this can be fixed with hard work ....no footy ability can't be

we need 2 A grade mids and one A grade forward .....we may need an A grade defender but that depends on whether one of blank Grainger and Jake can elevate to an very good player

Reeves is looking good for our ruck and rams den shows talent ...Lynch good back up

The thing is Nash is averaging 15 disposals a game.

I get he had to fill in as ruck for a couple of games which wasn't ideal for his development and he does offer defensive presence in the middle but I can't think of any other teams carrying a midfielder who gets that few disposals.

I reckon next year is going to be a real make or break year for quite a few on our list and Nash is high on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that for this year, in matches where he has played as a mid and not second ruck?

With an established ruckman (either Reeves/BB) he averages 18 touches a game. Not incredible numbers but not terrible especially for someone more defensively focused.

The aim would be to start pushing those numbers to the low 20s in the next few years as I don't think he has the confidence to make an impact resting forward.

With an established ruckman (either Reeves/BB) he averages 18 touches a game. Not incredible numbers but not terrible especially for someone more defensively focused.

The aim would be to start pushing those numbers to the low 20s in the next few years as I don't think he has the confidence to make an impact resting forward.
I agree. It's silly in the scheme of a 400-possession game, but 22 instead of 18 would be an important step for Nash. Of course, context also matters - we're playing pretty attacking footy & not switching the ball nearly as frequently, so there's fewer 'cheapies' on offer than under other or former coaches.

I'd want to read 'possessions' in context with 'metres gained' + 'disposal efficiency' + 'defensive acts / tackles' & the one that matters: 'score involvements' - if that's increasing then he's having a positive & desired effect.

I agree. It's silly in the scheme of a 400-possession game, but 22 instead of 18 would be an important step for Nash. Of course, context also matters - we're playing pretty attacking footy & not switching the ball nearly as frequently, so there's fewer 'cheapies' on offer than under other or former coaches.

I'd want to read 'possessions' in context with 'metres gained' + 'disposal efficiency' + 'defensive acts / tackles' & the one that matters: 'score involvements' - if that's increasing then he's having a positive & desired effect.

Nash is already one of our most efficient players in generating score involvements per disposal. For all the laughable knocks on his kicking (maybe people still have PTSD over his goal kicking) he is one of our best players going inside 50. I did the numbers not too long ago and IIRC he was only behind Lewis, Breust and Moore for our side. Lewis and Breust generate a lot of score involvements just through virtue of kicking a bulk of our goals so was very impressed to see Nash as 2nd behind Moore in the midfield brigade.

Lynch has shown he can play ....the issue is he can't play 4 qtrs and fades out ....ie tank ....this can be fixed with hard work ....no footy ability can't be

we need 2 A grade mids and one A grade forward .....we may need an A grade defender but that depends on whether one of blank Grainger and Jake can elevate to an very good player

Reeves is looking good for our ruck and rams den shows talent ...Lynch good back up

Agree

50 games at AFL level is a great achievement requiring dedication and effort - so yes congrats.

You both make good points he has been played out of position (flanks and ruck) so give him more time. Fair enough.

Another 2 years in the middle to start exceeding? Approx 100 games.

Note: If you are a midfielder you should be able to rotate onto the flanks to mix up CBAs
It's not the flanks that were the issue it's the back pocket and forward pocket that stifled where he is now.

Conor Nash  

“It was a pretty solid year for Conor and I think now he’s looking to take the next step with his footy. We love his team-first mentality - he's a much-loved member of the midfield group and very trusted with how hard he goes at the contest and how much he works. He has a great balance of his height to be able to run and cover the ground, but to also be really tough inside with his tackling pressure. We’re looking at ways to get him a little bit more of the footy as a midfielder and I think that grew as the year went on." Robert Harvey

Conor Nash  

“It was a pretty solid year for Conor and I think now he’s looking to take the next step with his footy. We love his team-first mentality - he's a much-loved member of the midfield group and very trusted with how hard he goes at the contest and how much he works. He has a great balance of his height to be able to run and cover the ground, but to also be really tough inside with his tackling pressure. We’re looking at ways to get him a little bit more of the footy as a midfielder and I think that grew as the year went on." Robert Harvey
When he's involved, play seems to be very productive. We just need him to find a way to get involved more.

Needs to have a KPI for next year of averaging at least 20 possessions a game which is break even number for a midfielder.

Also needs a guarantee from the coaching staff that he won't be put in the ruck again as that did absolutely no one any favours.

If he can average 20 touches a game as well as bring the physical presence that's a decent AFL player IMOH.

If he keeps averaging 15 touches a-game that's borderline to keep on the list.

Needs to have a KPI for next year of averaging at least 20 possessions a game which is break even number for a midfielder.

Also needs a guarantee from the coaching staff that he won't be put in the ruck again as that did absolutely no one any favours.

If he can average 20 touches a game as well as bring the physical presence that's a decent AFL player IMOH.

If he keeps averaging 15 touches a-game that's borderline to keep on the list.

Pup had a good career averaging low 20s and 5+ tackles a year.

That would be my hope for Nash. A bigger stronger Shiels.

Pup had a good career averaging low 20s and 5+ tackles a year.

That would be my hope for Nash. A bigger stronger Shiels.

Great call.

He's also a massive point of difference for our midfield that lacks size.

He's still learning, and took a big step forward this year. I think he will take another step in 2023.

His physicality and versatility will be so valuable for our list long term. Exactly the type of player you can bring off the bench in big games.

I think plenty of posters forget he's only 24. It's exciting how much more growth he has in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back