Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like him, think he has a lot of potential. Think he needs to be able to involve himself a little more regularly and his kicking still seems to be a bit suspect. Bright prospect and was brilliant tonight, but i do worry about him a little bit in a very big game next week.

very impressive first 2 games. Has some serious leg speed and agility for a big guy. Also a good tackler. Just needs to improve overhead marking and kicking. Would like to see him one out with a key defender, if he had space.

Reckon both came from his rugby background?

I've seen a few references to his rugby background, and I think the influence of this on his skill-set is being overstated a bit.
For context, Conor is from the same county as me and grew up playing midfield in gaelic football for Simonstown Gaels.
In GF, you typically put your tallest guy midfield to contest kick-outs, but he also has to have serious mobility to get up and down the field and support defence & attack.
We obviously don't have an aussie rules style tackle so Conor would have been encouraged to run hard & direct at the opposition.
Bigger field than rugby so you need a bigger tank to get around.
Not denying he would have a few tricks from rugby which would help, specifically his tackling ability, but he's primarily a gaelic footballer who also played rugby (as opposed to vice versa).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back