Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Has shown some signs this year. Hopefully takes another large step with a big pre-season. If we get Patton, will be interesting to see how we balance our forward line with Lewis, TO and Nash.

I'd keep Nash forward and move TOB back. Perhaps sounds silly after TOB just kicked 4, but Nash is fast and agile enough to play small when needed, and so can apply pressure that I don't think TOB and Patton can. Play both TOB and Patton forward and the ball moves too easily out of backline IMO (especially if we lose Poppy and also have Lewis forward). TOB has worked better forward than back at senior level, but now that his marks stick instead of bounce off his hands every time, I reckon he'll be pretty good holding down a KPD position (and allowing Sicily some more freedom). Generally uses the ball well too, which suits the way we transition out of defence.

Can't wait for the Connor Nash inside mid redemption arc!

Teams will laugh when we field an on-ball division composed entirely of inside mids.

But then they'll cry when they realise that they can't a hand on the sherrin inside the contest, and all of our inside mids can play no less than three positions on the park, including outside runner and centre half forward.

In the words of the almighty Robber Baron, it's Clarko's grand mastermind!

Seriously good game for Nash though, I hope this is the start of something big.

I think he gets another year.
We have invested a fair bit to this point......no need to throw that all away just yet.
Compared to where he was 2 or 3 years ago, he has come along way.
Looks a lot more fluent with his field kicking......cant comment on his footy IQ, but cant hurt playing him in the middle.

I am still waiting for the day we have a 198cm wingman charging up and down the MCG.

I am rooting for you Connor.

I think he gets another year.
We have invested a fair bit to this point......no need to throw that all away just yet.
Compared to where he was 2 or 3 years ago, he has come along way.
Looks a lot more fluent with his field kicking......cant comment on his footy IQ, but cant hurt playing him in the middle.

I am still waiting for the day we have a 198cm wingman charging up and down the MCG.

I am rooting for you Connor.
All I want is for when he gets the chance in the seniors is that he plays in the same position he has excelled at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's really noticeable is his ability to put in good body work into his opponent at stoppages, so he is either first to the ball, or allowing him to work off his opponent with his quick acceleration
Training and Box Hill watchers will know more than I, and of course more evidence like the highlights above are required; but from this small sample, he seems very natural as a midfielder

Will be a very interesting watch for the remainder of the season

Change the title to Conor Nash - International Superstar

Over the last couple years it's seemed like fighting a losing fight flying the flag for this kid. I think there were some of us who had seen that he was capable of this kind of display for a while, and his work at the VFL level had been more than exciting imo. I'm really glad today he was allowed to play the role that comes far more naturally to him and show everyone else what he can do.

Great game from the 23 year old!

Over the last couple years it's seemed like fighting a losing fight flying the flag for this kid. I think there were some of us who had seen that he was capable of this kind of display for a while, and his work at the VFL level had been more than exciting imo. I'm really glad today he was allowed to play the role that comes far more naturally to him and show everyone else what he can do.

Great game from the 23 year old!
This is what happens when a coach believes in a young player, just like how Clarko transformed Bateman and Sewell, Mitchell gave Nash the spotlight and opportunity to step up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back