Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

That's hardly an exclusively Irish problem, it happens to players who grow up playing the game too.

Took Breust a few years to break in and play. Duryea was on the list for a long time before becoming a regular.
Suckers and Ossie also spent a few years redrafted/developing before becoming a regular.

Surprisingly, he wasn't there as a KPF. He was there for the pressure Cyril provided.
Says even less about the other small pressure forwards then. Nash laid a total of 4 tackles in the 2 finals he played.

We need to better utilise his speed. I like him as a forward, but not deep.

Says even less about the other small pressure forwards then. Nash laid a total of 4 tackles in the 2 finals he played.

We need to better utilise his speed. I like him as a forward, but not deep.

Which was a shame, because before that he was averaging 3 tackles I50 which is a massive amount. Maybe he got overawed, but his form line going into the finals suggested he was there for pressure.

I agree though, with better kicking he's a link up player who can exploit his opponents for speed on the fast break. I like him in that role, but he just needs to keep working on his kicking. The tackling would just be a bonus.

Needs to work on his kicking and also his marking, without that his good qualities mean very little.

I'm really hoping that he makes it, because he certainly has some freakish traits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does the extraordinary very, very well - just needs to master the ordinary to be the total package. He will make it and he will be a nightmare to match up on. Excited.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Really looks likely. Kicking looks better than last year. So athletic it’s ridiculous. And fierce!

That tackle today in the midfield was poetry.

Laid 2, only one was rewarded.

Crazy part about him is how he looks when he runs, he's so quick but it seems effortless. He lopes across the ground kinda like a taller Isaac Smith.

Nash is basically a unique player.
I can't think of any other AFL player (apart from Buddy?) who has his attributes - height and blistering speed.
As the commentators said yesterday, amongst their irrelevant drivel, he out-sprinted a small fast opponent.

And don't overlook that he also tackles like a freight train. I'm going to keep score this year of the number of opposition players who hobble to the bench after a Nash express tackle.

This guy has played 5 (repeat 5) AFL games. If you work on the principle that a young player needs 50 senior games to establish himself then don't fret over his comparative lack of marking or kicking ability.

The significant advantage he gives us right now should be seen in the context of the new brand of 6/6/6 zone footy we're required to play. No one can catch this bloke when he breaks the lines. He'll be giving opposition coaches nightmares this year.

Last edited:
Nash is basically a unique player.
I can't think of any other AFL player (apart from Buddy?) who has his attributes - height and blistering speed.
As the commentators said yesterday, amongst their irrelevant drivel, he out-sprinted a small fast opponent.

And don't overlook that he also tackles like freight train. I'm going to keep score this year of the number of opposition players who hobble to the bench after a Nash express tackle.

This guy has played 5 (repeat 5) AFL games. If you work on the principle that a young player needs 50 senior games to establish himself then don't fret over his comparative lack of marking or kicking ability.

The significant advantage he gives us right now should be seen in the context of the new brand of 6/6/6 zone footy we're required to play. No one can catch this bloke when he breaks the lines. He'll be giving opposition coaches nightmares this year.
I just fainted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back