Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko seems to rate him so he will get games. Athletic freak which adds a point of difference to our side. Not convinced he’ll be able to improve his kicking and marking enough to make it - but appears we’ll give him every chance. Interesting year ahead - glass has completely stagnated (after big wraps internally), let’s hope Nash continues to improve.

The main thing I like about Nash is his ability to hurt players (not injure them before anyone gets upset).
Think Roughys tackle on Hannerbery in the GF.
A holding the ball decision is good but a htb, 15 mins on the bench getting their wind back then hearing footsteps for the rest of the game is better.

The main thing I like about Nash is his ability to hurt players (not injure them before anyone gets upset).
Think Roughys tackle on Hannerbery in the GF.
A holding the ball decision is good but a htb, 15 mins on the bench getting their wind back then hearing footsteps for the rest of the game is better.

We need some enforcers for the next generation. Some of our young kids are a bit too nice.

If Rough can position himself in the goal square more and last a couple of years, Nash and Lewis could be very good HF link men and the dire situation looks a lot less dire. There’s discussion about Nash’s kicking but his kicks inside 50 look pretty good to me. Lewis too

If Rough can position himself in the goal square more and last a couple of years, Nash and Lewis could be very good HF link men and the dire situation looks a lot less dire. There’s discussion about Nash’s kicking but his kicks inside 50 look pretty good to me. Lewis too

They are both still kids in terms of footy experience, Nash even more so. Neither were high draft picks were you knew what you were going to get.

AND they are both big lads who generally speaking take much longer to come on.

I agree with most on here that Nash looks very exciting, but he also has a long way to go. If he has enough above the shoulders, he will become a permanent fixture though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JLT2 near the end of the game. Nash got the ball on just outside 50m. I would have loved to see him go for goal rather than do the team (on this occasion) just to see where his kicking is at. We can all remember some of those kicks from last years finals series.

JLT2 near the end of the game. Nash got the ball on just outside 50m. I would have loved to see him go for goal rather than do the team (on this occasion) just to see where his kicking is at. We can all remember some of those kicks from last years finals series.

He spotted up Sicily forward a couple of times in JLT1. On viewing Nash and Lewis are as good a kick inside 50 as any in the team

Couldn't disagree more (especially given he's just a 5 gamer at present).
But that's OK, were all entitled to an opinion.

But consider this. He's not playing in a vacuum.
Someone who's possibly the fastest bloke on the ground and can double back into space at the speed of many thousand jet planes, and who's almost 2 meters tall, is going to need a bloody good tall defender on him to stop him breaking out because otherwise he'll just sprint back and kick goals as he did on Sunday.

A quality defender devoted to stopping Nash is music to the ears of Gunston, Roughy and friends.
I'll give you your last point but I'm with Knights on this one. I'm all for anyone with a hawks jumper being a great player in time.
I don't see his size as any advantage at the moment except for when it comes to nailing a tackle, teams will get to the realisation that he never looks like taking an overhead mark let alone take one and just man him with smaller speedy types thus true second and third tall defender types will go back to marking the likes of Gunston and Co.
Happy in time to be proven wrong, just don't see it yet.

I'll give you your last point but I'm with Knights on this one. I'm all for anyone with a hawks jumper being a great player in time.
I don't see his size as any advantage at the moment except for when it comes to nailing a tackle, teams will get to the realisation that he never looks like taking an overhead mark let alone take one and just man him with smaller speedy types thus true second and third tall defender types will go back to marking the likes of Gunston and Co.
Happy in time to be proven wrong, just don't see it yet.

Yeah well time will tell.
Your reference to “at the moment” is a reference to a 5 game player !

Two weeks ago Mitch Lewis was being bagged because, despite being 198 cm, he couldn’t take a pack mark.
He clucked 2 in 5 minutes against quality defenders on Saturday night and suddenly there’s a shift in opinion.

Can Nash and Lewis rotate through CHF. Nash is an athlete. Play him there while Lewis has a spell on the pine?

Nash has a coupe of things going for him
Speed and endurance among them

His repeat sprints and Sprint efforts were right up there last year as was his ground covered.

He can be a pressure weapon up forward, he can run to warp defensive zones, he can cover ground quickly as a defender

He can push up and win a sprint back inside 50

He has some really useful tools for the modern game. If he can get the game and the running patterns and improve his body work and kicking he will be a real weapon.

Wouldn't surprise me if they force feed him senior games this year to try and fast track him

As realistically we are more of a flag chance in 2020 I would pump as many senior games into Nash and Lewis this year as possible.Whether that involves alternating games between the two or playing them both in the same team depends on how we are travelling early in the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back