Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's not the finished product, but if Wrighty thinks he can make it, I'm backing him.

He's played 8 games.....8

I totally understand that mate and once again it's not a dig at anyone.

I also understand how many games he's played, however shouldn't anyone playing in the AFL be able to capably kick and mark a football regardless of what position they're playing?

No doubt the clubs right more than they're wrong but it's actually painful watching him out there.

Could we have rushed him in too early is what I'm getting at?

Anyway let's hope that if we continue to expose him to seniors football it fast tracks his development and delivers us a monster forward.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Where kookaburras chuckle.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Forward or a Winger is where'd I play him.

He's played 8 games......still learning the craft
What I don't understand is. Why put a player such as Nash into a high professional football environment where he is still learning the craft up against other players who have the game ingrained into them from young kids and are ahead of him in temrs of the eight games he has played. I know we have seen other Irish players succeed at our game and do exceptionally well.
Surely we have homegrown talent that could play the role he is offering? I'm looking at it from a point of logic and not trying to undermine him.

If I was in charge, and there are some great reason I'm not, I'd give him one or two more games (maybe Easter?) to really get a feel for what is required at the AFL level. I think he's got great potential. Then I'd drop him back to VFL and play him on a wing, even if the plan is to play him forward long term.

Playing up forward in the AFL and getting 5-10 touches a game does not give him the opportunity to refine his disposal and bring it to the level needed. He will hit a wall very quickly if he's not given the chance to get his hands on the footy more. In the long run he can't just be in the team for his run and chase.

What I don't understand is. Why put a player such as Nash into a high professional football environment where he is still learning the craft up against other players who have the game ingrained into them from young kids and are ahead of him in temrs of the eight games he has played. I know we have seen other Irish players succeed at our game and do exceptionally well.
Surely we have homegrown talent that could play the role he is offering? I'm looking at it from a point of logic and not trying to undermine him.

The point is, we don't. First point to take is the success rate of the draft itself, and how the career of a drafted player turns out.

First, let's throw out those that never play a game. That's 11% of players drafted. Of that 89% left, how far do they make it? Let's see:

10 game milestone, around 61% of players make it.
50 game milestone, drops by half to about 30%.
100 game milestone, again it drops by almost half to around 17%.

The way I see it, Conor Nash is about to be on record as doing better than 39% of those home grown players you mentioned we should be looking at. Pretty impressive considering he's new to the game and only, what, 21?

Point out the 197cm blokes playing footy around the place with the same level of raw speed and athleticism as Nash. In fact, point out the 197cm blokes who are playing good footy regardless of their attributes and the role they perform. Would wager not too many exist.

If you go back and watch the game on the weekend there are a few things you'll see that Nash is not to blame for. Rushed kicking out of defensive 50, shoddy umpiring decisions, poor delivery inside attacking 50, a midfield unit that was clearly fresher because of multiple injuries.

Roughie

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2005
Above The Clouds Where The Sounds Are Original
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
He had a crack and is learning that he is there to make a contest and out run his opponent. Hopefully an offseason working on his kicking both set shots and under pressure can really make an impact. But his first goal he had his opponent burnt by metres easily by working hard in space. Can really see him being a flanker who pushes up to the wing and then pushes back over the top hard all game. He will get some easy goals doing this once we can control the contested possessions and force turn overs

suburb whispers

Team Captain
Nov 15, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
For balls over the back ‘Pagans Paddock’ style, no one in the league can go with him. If he improves his pack marking, could be a legitimate weapon. Obviously the coaching staff rate him very highly, and they’re around him all the time. I trust them.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Definitely his best game. Ran to the right areas, made a solid contest.
His game against Sydney last year would be close I think.

I have been critical of his selection this year but after today and with where our season is at I hope he stays in for the year. Nothing to lose and might as well get games in to him.

Think not only did he show his physical talent (speed, tackling strength), and a bit of an improvement in fundamental skills (kicking is a bit better), he did some really smart things without the ball. Taps, blocks, knock ons. Was really good today. Will be interested to see us play both he and Mitch Lewis.

Dewwwww

All Australian
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How many other elite two way runners stand at 197cm tall?

Yes he has a lot to work on. But he also has a lot of elite physical attributes. Put some faith in the kid and watch him develop

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His most workmanlike performance, he can keep building on that.

It was really pleasing to compete so well in the air and see his teammates go to him one-on-one.

Of all the deficiencies to have, set-shot routine is the easiest to fix. However I'd prefer to watch him miss after taking his 30 seconds and with a measured run up. Rushed an important kick today.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
He got 7 touches (of which two were free kicks) and didn’t touch the ball in the 2nd or 4th quarters. His goal was great and he tried hard but he was basically ineffective the whole game.

I’m really hoping he makes it as would add a lot to our side but he’s got miles to go.

Back