Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apart from his goal, and tap on over the top to ceglar I can't really recall him actually doing anything else yesterday...

I was calling for him to mark the ball and compete in the air, seems like everyone thinks he played that role well enough, I didn't pay very much attention to what he did most of the day so couldn't really give an opinion.

He is an X factor player. If you could get him to be a solid contested mark, he would be an absolute weapon in the forward half.

My imagination shows him linking up from the back flank, running the length of the ground to the forward line to get on the end of a coast-to-coast passage of play.

He got 7 touches (of which two were free kicks) and didn’t touch the ball in the 2nd or 4th quarters. His goal was great and he tried hard but he was basically ineffective the whole game.

I’m really hoping he makes it as would add a lot to our side but he’s got miles to go.
Direct hand in 2 of our 7 goals, his first quarter was quite good so he wasn't ineffective for the whole game

ouches (of which two were free kicks) and didn’t touch the ball in the 2nd or 4th quarters. His goal was great and he tried hard but he was basically ineffective the whole game.
The second quarter the ball barely made it into our 50. Can't blame him for that. Would have liked him to have more of an impact in the fourth, but watching the vision online I saw lots of running, a couple of hard tackles and blocks, and a number of clever knock ons that created opportunity for others.

Happy with him. Pending who's ready to come in I reckon he stays at least one more.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
He got 7 touches (of which two were free kicks) and didn’t touch the ball in the 2nd or 4th quarters. His goal was great and he tried hard but he was basically ineffective the whole game.

I’m really hoping he makes it as would add a lot to our side but he’s got miles to go.
Just watch the game, don't look at the stats.
He was very effective at drawing opponents and freeing up teammates.
He was indirectly responsible for probably 6 of our goals, which is what you want in a low scoring game

Apart from his goal, and tap on over the top to ceglar I can't really recall him actually doing anything else yesterday...

I was calling for him to mark the ball and compete in the air, seems like everyone thinks he played that role well enough, I didn't pay very much attention to what he did most of the day so couldn't really give an opinion.

He is an X factor player. If you could get him to be a solid contested mark, he would be an absolute weapon in the forward half.

My imagination shows him linking up from the back flank, running the length of the ground to the forward line to get on the end of a coast-to-coast passage of play.
He averages more marks per game than Naitanui.

0.3 contested
And? 1.23 isn't exactly setting the house on fire either. At two marks per game he is at least more involved in the game. Compare to McEvoy if you want a fair comparison of contested marks. I am merely talking about game involvement He's not just standing there watching the game happen around him.

People just want to be negative. He did enough, particularly in that first quarter, and didn't get outmarked at any point. Even when his defender seemed to have the drop he played it like a defender and punched it.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And? 1.23 isn't exactly setting the house on fire either. At two marks per game he is at least more involved in the game. Compare to McEvoy if you want a fair comparison of contested marks. I am merely talking about game involvement He's not just standing there watching the game happen around him.
well 1.23 is 4 times more than 0.3, so thats a fair difference.

I don't care to continue this argument, just would like to see Nash's marking, in particular his contested marking, improve in the future. I think if he can learn to take a nice grab, he could be a human cheat code to getting a mark inside 50. With his speed, endurance and athleticism, he could easily get separation from defenders to create space for his own marking power.

well 1.23 is 4 times more than 0.3, so thats a fair difference.

I don't care to continue this argument, just would like to see Nash's marking, in particular his contested marking, improve in the future. I think if he can learn to take a nice grab, he could be a human cheat code to getting a mark inside 50. With his speed, endurance and athleticism, he could easily get separation from defenders to create space for his own marking power.

If my grandmother had wheels she would have been a bike.

A player can't have everything, and Nash is 20. Great if he learns to take a contested mark, not really a bother if he doesn't. With a fit forward line full of smalls around him, the ability to not be out marked is just as important as taking them.

A player can't have everything, and Nash is 20. Great if he learns to take a contested mark, not really a bother if he doesn't. With a fit forward line full of smalls around him, the ability to not be out marked is just as important as taking them.
I sometimes forget he's only 20 and been on the list (and playing AFL!) for only a couple of years. He is such a mountain of a man. So much upside!!!!

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

He plays like a small though. Shows glimpses but given his output, woudl prefer him to be learnign his trade more at BHH and rotating him and other young players like Jones, Hanrahan, Cuz, CJ, Ross, Morrison, etc, so they are all getting a little exposure at AFL level and going back to work on their craft. Not seen anything to suggest Nash is in front of those mentioned, or would add more to the AFL side...

He plays like a small though. Shows glimpses but given his output, woudl prefer him to be learnign his trade more at BHH and rotating him and other young players like Jones, Hanrahan, Cuz, CJ, Ross, Morrison, etc, so they are all getting a little exposure at AFL level and going back to work on their craft. Not seen anything to suggest Nash is in front of those mentioned, or would add more to the AFL side...
Neither of those players would impact Nash's selection. Only Lewis.
I'm happy for those kids to earn their games, not gifted. They're competing with Mitchell, JOM, Worpel, Howe, Shiels and co

Nash doesn't have much competition for his role

Tomohawks

All Australian
Aug 30, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm & West Ham United
We have to play he and Lewis for the rest of the season and pray that one of them emerges as a senior tall target because it goes without saying that we are getting desperate. No good talls in this draft where we will be picking early either unfortunately. His lack of marking ability is of real concern considering his athletic gifts, just kicking him balls at training repeatedly where he needs to run and take them at their highest point would help. Has natural ball talent so we need to up the ante on his marking training. Not giving up yet due to his age and lack of experience but I would love to see a glimpse or two of him being able to take a grab for the rest of season.

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From what I saw on the weekend, I think it is fair to say that Nashy has taken another step forward since his last appearance in the seniors. If he plays 4 or 5 more games this year, then who knows how much better he will be at the start of next season, after another pre-season and natural development.

I have seen enough to say the kid can play and will be a very good player for us in the future.
We need to remember that he is still only 20 years of age, and did not grow up playing the game.
Give him time and he will be a gun, and a very important part of our future potent forward line.

You must be patient my friend

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Neither of those players would impact Nash's selection. Only Lewis.
I'm happy for those kids to earn their games, not gifted. They're competing with Mitchell, JOM, Worpel, Howe, Shiels and co

Nash doesn't have much competition for his role

What role are you watching him play? It's not as a key forward.

He's kicked 3 goals and taken 8 marks in 6 games and only one is contested. He's also laid 14 tackles and 19 one percenters with about 85% game time. His stats would suggest he is playing as a defensive forward at this stage... a very tall one.

He's kicked 3 goals and taken 8 marks in 6 games and only one is contested. He's also laid 14 tackles and 19 one percenters with about 85% game time. His stats would suggest he is playing as a defensive forward at this stage... a very tall one.

And we've looked a lot more dangerous scoring team with him in the side to be honest. Our issue has been less about replacing the talls, and more about replacing what Cyril brought. Not saying that Nash is on Cyril's level but just look at how Clarko employs him.

Clarko uses him to do everything Cyril did. Get him out the back on a 1v1, get him manning the mark at kick ins, get him halving every contest.

Nash, at this point, is the tallest small pressure forward in the league because that is what he can do for the club at a high level right now. The club will focus on making him better in the long run but for now he's filling a need that we definitely have, better than other players who have been brought in to fill that need.

He's the 6th best key forward in the league for F50 Ground Ball Gets.
He's the 9th best key forward for goal assists.
4th best for pressure acts.
5th for tackles I50.
He's also top 15 for total tackles, spoils, 1%ers.

If he doesn't drop below this weekend's output for his career, I think his role and place in the team is very safe.

Last edited:

He's not a key forward, but my point was he isn't competing for a game with midfielders like Jones or Morrison, as the poster said.

Your grandmother doesn't need wheels to be a bike and still get around. 😉

Let's hope young Nash doesn't have a TOB length apprenticeship with similar results.
I hope he does learn how to take marks (I suspect he will later). Who wouldn't want a marking forward?

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Speaking of old people and bikes...........

An old man staggers into a bikie clubhouse. He goes straight to the bar and orders a beer before having a look around.

He goes over to a table where one of the toughest, meanest looking bikies is sitting, with some other bikies and sits down next to him. He looks him straight in the eye and says,"Went past your grandmas on the way here and watched her getting changed through the bedroom window. She is one hot piece of ass," before sculling his beer and returning to the bar.

The tough bikie does not flinch but all his mates are gobsmacked.

The old bloke orders another beer and wanders back to the table looks at the bikie and says,"I went in through the front door grabbed her on the ass and planted one on her," and again walks back to the bar.

The tough bikie puts his beer down but still does nothing.

The old bloke grabs another beer and few minute later walks over to the bikie again. A little hush descends on the place. The old bloke says," I think when 'm done here, I'm going to go give your Grandma some real lovin' whether she likes it or not".

The big bikie stands up and everyone fears the worst. He grabs the old bloke by the arm and says,"Go home grandpa your drunk.".

Last edited:
Speaking of old people and bikes...........

An old man walks into a bikie clubhouse. He goes straight to the bar and orders a beer before having a look around.

He goes over to a table where one of the toughest, meanest looking bikies is sitting, with some other bikies and sits down next to him. He looks him straight in the eye and says,"Went past your grandmas on the way here and watched her getting changed through the bedroom window. She is one hot piece of ass," before sculling his beer and returning to the bar.

The tough bikie does not flinch but all his mates are gobsmacked.

The old bloke orders another beer and wanders back to the table looks at the bikie and says,"I went in through the front door grabbed her on the ass and planted one on her," before walking back to the bar.

The tough bikie puts his beer down but still does nothing.

The old bloke grabs another beer and few minute later walks over to the bikie again. A little hush descends on the place. The old bloke says," I think when 'm done here, I'm going to go give your Grandma some real lovin whether she likes it or not".

The big bikie stands up and everyone fears the worst. He grabs the old bloke by the arm and says,"Go home grandpa your drunk.".
Wheelie?

May 29, 2010
The Tree Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
SF 49ers, Arsenal
Conor Nash's two biggest attributes are his athleticism and his smarts. If, or perhaps when, team structure allows I would play the bloke on the wing and let him run around. I think it would allow him to get more involved and give him greater insight into how to play the game. He looks every bit an elite athlete and I feel that he is one of the key pieces to the puzzle. It would be a very big achievement for the club and of course, for the player.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Conor Nash's two biggest attributes are his athleticism and his smarts. If, or perhaps when, team structure allows I would play the bloke on the wing and let him run around. I think it would allow him to get more involved and give him greater insight into how to play the game. He looks every bit an elite athlete and I feel that he is one of the key pieces to the puzzle. It would be a very big achievement for the club and of course, for the player.
The problem with focusing on athleticism is that there have been plenty of elite athletes who never make it as an AFL player. To me Nash often looks totally lost out on the field and his "game sense" is not developed. To me Glass, as much as he makes some massive stuff ups at times, plays the game in a way that shows he understands the fundamentals of Australian Rules and where to run to get the ball, how to provide a link up, etc.
I understand he is still only 20 but really he is a long way of deserving a spot on the senior list. 0 kicks and 0 marks as a 197cm forward is just not up to standard.

Back