Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Really needs to go back to box hill and play as a key forward. Kept getting in the way, didn’t take a mark (or get a kick - was scared to take a shot - seems to lack confidence) - just lacks forward craft. If he can’t learn to mark the game is going to be tough for him. Athleticism is not enough at afl level - as almost all players are good to great athletes.

How do you teach how to play AFL at the top level to a convert? By playing them at the top level, craft can only come by understanding. Cegs will quite possibly be traded as he is not our number 1 ruck whilst BB is playing.
I reckon high half forward or wing would suit Nasher better than playing deep but by playing deep he can pressurise better than Cegs in my view.

Really needs to go back to box hill and play as a key forward. Kept getting in the way, didn’t take a mark (or get a kick - was scared to take a shot - seems to lack confidence) - just lacks forward craft. If he can’t learn to mark the game is going to be tough for him. Athleticism is not enough at afl level - as almost all players are good to great athletes.
He's not there to play the Key Forward role, he's their to apply pressure and take a bigger body defender to make it easier on Gunston.

How do you teach how to play AFL at the top level to a convert? By playing them at the top level, craft can only come by understanding. Cegs will quite possibly be traded as he is not our number 1 ruck whilst BB is playing.
I reckon high half forward or wing would suit Nasher better than playing deep but by playing deep he can pressurise better than Cegs in my view.
Disagree - he needs to get the ball in hand as much as possible and given the opportunity to mark as much as possible. At afl level he’s too afraid to kick it and hasn’t got the skills yet to mark it and is going to struggle to get more than a few touches each game. There’s no way he could play wing currently - is miles off understanding the positioning required (note buddy struggled on the wing and he had oodles more football nous)

He’s to be in an environment where he can take the game on and fail (and learn) - afl is very hard to do this. The defensive forward is the only role he’s currently equipped to play - we should be aiming higher and giving him the opportunity to learn to play a bigger role (which he is unlikely to do at afl level).

Did people miss the number of times he was out of position, yeah yeah, and brought the ball to ground?

What are people after here? Clarko said after the game it's about finding that next wave. He actually singled out both Irish lads as players they think can be contributors for our club.

Loving see him get a game at a time we are clearly building for the future. People forget, we haven't had access to the top end of the draft, for good reason, so getting wins outside of this is massive for our future.

Did people miss the number of times he was out of position, yeah yeah, and brought the ball to ground?

What are people after here? Clarko said after the game it's about finding that next wave. He actually singled out both Irish lads as players they think can be contributors for our club.

Loving see him get a game at a time we are clearly building for the future. People forget, we haven't had access to the top end of the draft, for good reason, so getting wins outside of this is massive for our future.
This is the question.

I reckon Clarko has set it up currently for Lewis to be the playmaker and Nash to pave the way.

If Nash was kicking 1-2 goals a game with a high tackle count people wouldn't be slamming him. It's the incredinly low disposal tally (including 0 kicks) that has people freaking out.

having said that - I'm a huge Nash supporter. Reckon he'll be great.

Someone in the gameday thread said he's basically like Poppy. A tall poppy. And people want to cut him down - not surprising really.

Let’s be honest his inclusion is a slap in the face to Ceglar!
Back to Box Hill please.

Yes, I'm sure Ceglar would be able to offer the exact same pressure, tackling and mobility that Nash is able to offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look i agree with a lot of what you are saying and i have no issues with playing the younger guys but we have players like Jones in the VFL that is dominating most weeks and still not getting a call up. Ollie had to put together a string of really good form to get a go. Ross has probably been our best as well and is yet to get a gig (although that could be because they don't think he is physically up to it).

Getting games in to young guys to see what they have is important but they still need to earn a spot.

The thing i think some people are forgetting with Nash is he was very good against the Eagles so i am okay with seeing him get another week to try and get that sort of performance out of him again.

Would Ross or Jones be providing less output if provided with an opportunity at AFL level? Yes, we all know, different players....

I can see what Glass brings, but Nash at AFL level is a bit like Usain Bolt playing in the A league. If things play into their hands and strengths, then they look ok, when it doesn't, they look completely lost.

Would Ross or Jones be providing less output if provided with an opportunity at AFL level? Yes, we all know, different players....

I can see what Glass brings, but Nash at AFL level is a bit like Usain Bolt playing in the A league. If things play into their hands and strengths, then they look ok, when it doesn't, they look completely lost.
Agree, but the coaches see something that we obviously don't. Wonder what that is.

Agree, but the coaches see something that we obviously don't. Wonder what that is.

With Nash? You don't need to wonder, everyone can bloody see it. It's just not what most people in the board want him to offer.

1. He doesn't get outmarked
2. He applies pressure
3. He has a good endurance base
4. He offers chaos
5. He gets involved in scores

6th for KPPs Average Goal Assists
5th for KPPs Average Ground Ball Gets F50
6th for KPPs Average Pressure Acts
4th for KPPs Tackles F50
9th for KPPs Tackles Overall

He's also thereabouts for spoils and 1%ers.

With Nash? You don't need to wonder, everyone can bloody see it. It's just not what most people in the board want him to offer.

4th for KPPs Tackles F50

This, very savvy post, and cuts right to the crux of the issue. I don't care if he has 0 kicks, if he continues his tap-ons and quick handballs I'll have him every day of the week, he straightens up our spine and makes us look a bit more dangerous. I mean we all saw that handball to Breust for the final goal...

One thing that Nash actually may be seriously bloody elite at is his quick hands

Just re-watch his goal assist to Breust for the sealer against the Pies.

5m burst of pace away from Maynard to get into a position to receive handball from Poppy

Smarts and awareness to handball the ball to Breust before he gets run down

Quick, accurate 10m chip handball with his left hand to Breust without breaking stride.

1. He doesn't get outmarked
2. He applies pressure
3. He has a good endurance base
4. He offers chaos
5. He gets involved in scores

4th for KPPs Tackles F50

How do those numbers compare for small forwards though? Not sure there is much utility in comparing him to KPP then

One thing that Nash actually may be seriously bloody elite at is his quick hands

Just re-watch his goal assist to Breust for the sealer against the Pies.

5m burst of pace away from Maynard to get into a position to receive handball from Poppy

Smarts and awareness to handball the ball to Breust before he gets run down

Quick, accurate 10m chip handball with his left hand to Breust without breaking stride.

It’s the one thing that converts so well from Gaelic. Having played a little I know there’s nothing that cuts apart a defense in Gaelic like a good set of quick hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back