Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Conor Nash. Extends to 2024!

I just don't see his kicking being anywhere near of enough quality to play as a wingman though.

He also does not get into positions enough to get enough of the pill to be a wingman.

Would rather see him continue to work on his craft at VFL level and give guys like Ross and Walker a game at AFL level, so they get a taste of the big time.

Again people conflating his generally reliable field kicking with his poor goal kicking.

Next season, when we've got the best midfield of all time, I'd like to see him tried as a FB (stopper, like Chip).

As much as I'm all for giving him time & trying to focus on the positives he brings, I don't see him getting there as a FP.

Of course this could well change if he'd back himself & start having shots on bloody goal instead of running into trouble then hand-balling to someone else in trouble, but that's another matter...

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I have seen enough of the Nash experiments moving to 2020.
I think if he can put on some size, not a heap... 3-4kg, he needs to be the future full back.
The guy is a freak!
As Brant has suggested, Nash could get a year or two training up to replace Chip.
Nash has already started playing a negating role up forward on talls. Learning defensive patterns, positioning & defensive structures... pretty much a Clarko approach to teaching then put them in his preferred position.
AFL patterns are obviously better learned playing & our most less effected area to not expose Nash would be in the fed pocket. Creating a role similar to a stopper on talls is perfect to educate someone fast. Bravo Clarko.

Honestly though, fullbacks need some size & weight & with his pace Nash could be brilliant for the next decade as a stopper who has running power to provide some offensive as well.

Bookends that are 20 years old & nothing but blue sky ahead seems to be a rather brilliant ploy if it is what Clarko is attempting.

For shits & giggles with an optimistic view at positional success... very optimistic.

Nash
Obrien
Mitchell
Brand
Lewis

Obviously a vary glaring need to show success (Brand) at the level in these positions but who is to say that it can’t all click in 1- 2 preseasons & 2021 could look something like this.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I see Nash differently.
We all know he needs to improve his kicking. Yes he should improve that.

But his hand-balling is perfect. His tackling is perfect. His ability to get the high ball to ground is perfect.

He gives off more goals than most in the league.

When he out-bodied the GWS defender to mark... I thought he finally understood that he is awesome.

Note: Connor Nash will continue to do the team thing. It seems his way.

My call is: Nash is ready to become something more.

Edit: It will take some time before Nash expands his game. But boy, it is coming and it will be great to watch.

Last edited:
Took some good contested marks on the weekend.

Yes I know it was the Suns but you can only take the opportunities presented and he's taking a few more than he would have at the start of the year

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yes I know it was the Suns but you can only take the opportunities presented and he's taking a few more than he would have at the start of the year

Dropped a shocker early. Then did some great things, clever taps, knock ons etc before finishing with a great contested mark. The boys got around him too. Finished it off across the body Gaelic style.

Still has some work to do but a lot to like at times. Maybe a factor in the Gunston trade rumours who knows?

I really don't mind him not being a prolific marker of the ball, the trade off is that his game sense in the contest is really good. Great with his hands, taps the ball on well. He's a really good Hawks forward.

yep. another step forward. that one at the top of the goalsquare he outbodied his opponent which we havent seen before really. whilst he is still prob 2 seasons away he is showing he can do just about everything. got to stick with him as in 3-4 years will be a machine.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I know it was only against the GCS, but I was impressed with Nash. Especially his marking, which needs to become a feature of his game.

People may think I'm hard on him on here, I just don't see the footy instincts just yet - I would prefer if he spent the year dominating VFL and then come in. He's got the freak athletic ability to do it.

However Clarko knows best.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
A coupe of good marks, a clever little tap down to Shiels for a goal (which incidentally he seems to be doing on a weekly basis) and a smart finish on the non-preferred foot. Still a hell of a lot to improve upon (let's not kid ourselves, he was never going to be a complete player straight up), but those little signs are still evident

I would prefer if he spent the year dominating VFL and then come in. He's got the freak athletic ability to do it.
I'm not sure if a VFL apprenticeship would suit his development, given the slower pace and lesser skill level of the VFL comp.

I disagree, he needs to get all the basics down pat first. Either way he's got the physical tools to succeed.
I think while he is progressing ok at AFL level/needed like this week where we won't have Rough or Lewis he stays.
When he stalls or needs a rest or isn't needed for team balance he's gone back to the VFL.

If he can learn at AFL level and contribute in a way the coaching staff are happy with they will play him there. He will make or break quicker that way, it's a risk but he's coming from a non traditional pathway.

Nash to McGovern. Take him out of the game as much as possible.

Interesting to note that Wings, Worpel and O'Meara only effectively played 70% game time in what was a relatively bruise free contest. We'll unleash them this week.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nash to McGovern. Take him out of the game as much as possible.

Interesting to note that Wings, Worpel and O'Meara only effectively played 70% game time in what was a relatively bruise free contest. We'll unleash them this week.
Was disappointed Lewis could not get up. This gives me hope that we are going over there to have a real crack. :thumbsu:

If he can learn at AFL level and contribute in a way the coaching staff are happy with they will play him there. He will make or break quicker that way, it's a risk but he's coming from a non traditional pathway.
I think you've nailed it. He has been identified as an exceptional young athlete who is capable of adaptation. If he makes it (I assume he will) as an AFL footballer, I do wonder what long term vision Clarko has for him?

Next season, when we've got the best midfield of all time, I'd like to see him tried as a FB (stopper, like Chip).

As much as I'm all for giving him time & trying to focus on the positives he brings, I don't see him getting there as a FP.

Of course this could well change if he'd back himself & start having shots on bloody goal instead of running into trouble then hand-balling to someone else in trouble, but that's another matter...
He needs to drastically inmprove his marking to be a full back I think.

I think you've nailed it. He has been identified as an exceptional young athlete who is capable of adaptation. If he makes it (I assume he will) as an AFL footballer, I do wonder what long term vision Clarko has for him?

Same vision Clarko has for most players. Versatility.

Occasionally Pocket, occasionally HFF, occasionally wing and he's so good at ground level and with his hands he could probably be a bullocking rover occasionally too.

Same vision Clarko has for most players. Versatility.

Occasionally Pocket, occasionally HFF, occasionally wing and he's so good at ground level and with his hands he could probably be a bullocking rover occasionally too.
I just don't see him as being like 'most players', he's different. If we wanted like most players the Hawks could have drafted one who grew up with the game. We didn't and targeted him for a reason other than to be like most. If he learns to hunt the ball and he gets off the chain, then look out!

Back