Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Cooper Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

I was a little disgusted with that trade... Geelong were supposed to be desperate for young midfielders (and facing a huge cliff) and yet they fling a first round pick in Stevens at us!!!

Geelong's elite recruiting team are far too smart to let good players go.

And in the process the Hawks solved a trade road block for both the Pies and Cats... allowing Henry to get to the Cats and Tom Mitchell to get to the Pies. We basically served lobsters to the Pies and Cats while we wore a servants outfit and chewed on gravel.

Both Geelong and Pies were being stubborn .. and we stepped in loosy goosey. The Cat's were unwilling to give up a 2nd round pick to the Pies for Henry and the Pies were unwilling to give up a 2nd round pick to Hawthorn for Mitchell... yet the Cat's couldn't wait to send us a 21 year old pick 16 in Cooper so they could get Henry... meaning they rated Cooper at best as a third rounder and more likely were just cutting their loses.

I hope Cooper proves the Cats wrong... but jeez i thought we looked dumb.

The Meek deal was not much better. Meek was a mature age recruit at Freo who was overlooked during his draft year... and then taken by Freo with pick 69. ("nice") and who in five season at Freo had played just fifteen games.... in 2024 he will be 26 years old. . People need to stop saying "ruckman take time". If you are big and slow you need to be able to mark.

I have been so disappointed with the trading that we have done under Sam Mitchel that I have intentionally paid zero attention to this years trade period.. all i know is the players we got.. I am too scared to learn what we paid for them.
God, what a sook...

So what is happening with Cooper? I understand the depth we have in our midfield, however haven’t heard much about him over the pre season.

There was an article from a few weeks ago quoting Worpel where he thought Stephens may be a sneaky chance for a round 1 debut.

I don’t even remember seeing him in the intra-club game last week. Is he injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really rated him and his decision and ours looked sound 2 years ago but now we have too many similar mids in front of him. You would think without a miracle he leaves one way or another at years end. Ironically had he stayed at the cats he may be a lot closer to playing. Rotten luck. Hope he gets right soon and gives it his best crack look forward to seeing him at box hill at a minimum in 2024.

Given a choice between having Cooper Stephens, Max Hall, or Callum Brown on our list… at present … Cooper would be my 3rd choice. Fortunately for him, the spot is his to lose... Needs to double his output at BoxHill. Yes he may be playing a role that helps others shine, but damn, get some of your own ball either inside or outside as well.

Dylan Moore and Connor Nash were both heading toward the delist cliff … but turned it around in a big way. With Cooper being 23 years of age, my guess is that it is now or never.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back