Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Cooper Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't see it myself, Nash pretty much has his ticket in most games with the Sub. Stephens doesn't offer the same qualities so if he comes in it'll be at the cost of someone else.
Sam said something about Nash's running capacity was great and an asset he likes.
Does Cooper have that?

Cooper Stephens (23 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 4 clearances)

"Coop had some huge contests and was very tough all day after getting a couple of big whacks, but he pushed through and had some really good moments around the footy, his contest work around the clearance and his hands were strong. He was a little fumbly early, but he found his feet and was really solid for us. He spent some time forward as well, and he'll just to continue to grow that area of the game. It's really exciting what Coop has been able to show us, and he's got to just keep being consistent now and grow that area of his game."

Wonder when we will see him this season?

Worpel, Day and Newcombe are seemingly set in the midfield rotation.

Ward will play the season out and will get several CBA's a game. Hopefully Mackenzie does too.

There are only so many CBA's to go around, can he play anywhere else and become a rotational option?

Nash will get a few when he's playing, though currently MacDonald is only getting one CBA a game.

Last edited:

The way you've put it there, there could be an argument that he'll only play if we have an injury.

I hope not, we got him for a reason (and it could have been due to Worps' form last year, almost insurance in case it continues), and he was good enough to earn games in the Cats midfield last year.

His numbers were good last week at BHH so if he can put a few weeks together there is no reason he won't be fighting for a spot.

As you said though, where???

Ward will play the season out and will get several CBA's a game. Hopefully Mackenzie does too.

There are only so many CBA's to go around, can he play anywhere else and become a rotational option?

Nash will get a few when he's playing and whilst MacDonald only getting one CBA a game.
Debut him against Geelong on Easter Monday.

The way you've put it there, there could be an argument that he'll only play if we have an injury.

I hope not, we got him for a reason (and it could have been due to Worps' form last year, almost insurance in case it continues), and he was good enough to earn games in the Cats midfield last year.

His numbers were good last week at BHH so if he can put a few weeks together there is no reason he won't be fighting for a spot.

And we still have Hustwaite and Weddell to fit in as well. Even if Stephens can get in there’s going to be a lot of pressure on him and everyone else to retain their places longer term. That’s a good thing obviously but I wish there were similar pressures on the KPPs!

I expect we didn’t get him just to be depth. He’s a bit of the forgotten man given missed some of practice matches.
Keen to see how progresses over next 5-6 weeks with a consistent block of games. Ward/McDonald/McKenzie unlikely to play every game + middle of winter going to need some bigger bodies.

I think we'd only be playing two of Worpel, Nash or Stephens at any one time. Given Worpel has seemingly recaptured some form this leaves Stephens in a rough spot when pushing for selection.

Mackenzie and Finn are other possible options, but I think both are a bit more positionally versatile or can play another role in the side.

I'd love to see or know of Stephens can play anywhere else on the field, or is he just a pure (inside) midfielder only?

Nash will get a few when he's playing, though currently MacDonald is only getting one CBA a game.
well we’re doing our best to increase the number of CB

Cooper Stephens (23 disposals, 5 marks, 5 tackles, 4 clearances)

"Coop had some huge contests and was very tough all day after getting a couple of big whacks, but he pushed through and had some really good moments around the footy, his contest work around the clearance and his hands were strong. He was a little fumbly early, but he found his feet and was really solid for us. He spent some time forward as well, and he'll just to continue to grow that area of the game. It's really exciting what Coop has been able to show us, and he's got to just keep being consistent now and grow that area of his game."
Interesting he spent some time forward... just a rest perhaps ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Stephens will likely be in the mix to play Round 4 or 5. He just needs another game or two in the VFL to get back to full fitness. I’m keen to see what he can add to the midfield mix.
I think he will need to smash the door down to get a look in. 30+ disposals and outperform Ned Long.

Cats pretty much gave him away so they could spend a first rounder on Bruhn and Bruhn looks bang average.

I will be surprised if he overtakes the likes of worps and Nash tbh

I think he will need to smash the door down to get a look in. 30+ disposals and outperform Ned Long.

Cats pretty much gave him away so they could spend a first rounder on Bruhn and Bruhn looks bang average.

I will be surprised if he overtakes the likes of worps and Nash tbh
They didnt want to lose him at all , was very much seen as a long term midfield player for them .
So no they didnt just give him away .

But to get Henry they had too

I feel like Coop should have a few more games in the magoos just to get a good run into him.

He was strong in the contested stuff last game, but was pretty average/poor by foot. I expect a lot of that is just owing to his injury history knocking away some consistency.

Looking forward to see how he develops. I expect he is vying for one of Nash’s or Worps spot at the minute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back