Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Cooper Stephens

Remove this Banner Ad

How have his goals come in games? He seems to be building but we have found another goal kicking midfielder in the process, pretty exciting

Long is the next cab off the rank.
Thinking out loud, do Long and Stephens offer our current side a point of difference?

Skills are just about everything in modern football, and correct me if I'm wrong, both these chaps are questionable disposers. I suppose my question is, can we afford to carry an additional midfielder, Worpel being one, with similar characteristics?

Thinking out loud, do Long and Stephens offer our current side a point of difference?

Skills are just about everything in modern football, and correct me if I'm wrong, both these chaps are questionable disposers. I suppose my question is, can we afford to carry an additional midfielder, Worpel being one, with similar characteristics?
As long as he keeps disposing it between the sticks, I think all other sins can be forgiven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In answer to your question probably not. Certainly Day and to a lesser extent Newcombe offer more flexibility. If one of them were to come in it would be either with a view to replace an injured mid. Or for one of the existing mids to play another role in the team. Long, I think, will develop into a good AFL level midfielder, in the Josh Kennedy mould.

I’d like to see Newcombe and Day rotate through the front half of the ground whilst Long plays in the guts. To my mind our attack needs a bit of extra height, particularly with Greene not coming along as hoped. With all of Moore, Breust, Brockman, Butler and MacDonald down there we are the land of the short people.
Alarmingly, they could only muster one tackle between them in the forward 50 on the weekend.

In answer to your question probably not. Certainly Day and to a lesser extent Newcombe offer more flexibility. If one of them were to come in it would be either with a view to replace an injured mid. Or for one of the existing mids to play another role in the team. Long, I think, will develop into a good AFL level midfielder, in the Josh Kennedy mould.

I’d like to see Newcombe and Day rotate through the front half of the ground whilst Long plays in the guts. To my mind our attack needs a bit of extra height, particularly with Greene not coming along as hoped. With all of Moore, Breust, Brockman, Butler and MacDonald down there we are the land of the short people.
Alarmingly, they could only muster one tackle between them in the forward 50 on the weekend.
I agree that we need another marking target in the forward half and the resting ruckman does not appear to be the answer. I still think that Scrimshaw could be the best bet at this stage. He has good hands and doesn't mind a goal. He has played as a half forward on several occasions and has looked dangerous but has quickly returned to his usual job in the back half. Weddle now has that job, so I reckon we should give Scrimshaw a genuine shot at making it as a forward before consigning him to the bin, as some have suggested.

Stephens, I'm not sure. He's quite similar to Worpel. Long can, in my opinion. His ability to actually rest forward as a proper forward already gives him a point of difference that most midfielders in the league don’t have. As a midfielder, I guess Long is similar to Nash. Tall with a big body, he's not the fastest, but he has some power behind him. Elite endurance as well. If Long can show more of what he did against Essendon's VFL, I wouldn’t be too worried about his disposal. Against Essendon, he moved with grace in the middle, and his handball accuracy was pinpoint.

Look, I want all Hawthorn listed players to make it, but sometimes you gotta put up an opinion on a player that's not positive which is hard thing to do. But, long seems extremely slow for AFL SENİOR footy. Hope I'm wrong but the kid seems to have concrete boots out there which is not a good thing at senior level considering he's a 50/50 frwed/mid .
I'd like to see cooper at senior level soon , hopefully he's the next cab off the rank.

Look, I want all Hawthorn listed players to make it, but sometimes you gotta put up an opinion on a player that's not positive which is hard thing to do. But, long seems extremely slow for AFL SENİOR footy. Hope I'm wrong but the kid seems to have concrete boots out there which is not a good thing at senior level considering he's a 50/50 frwed/mid .
I'd like to see cooper at senior level soon , hopefully he's the next cab off the rank.
Long is not super slow lmfao and not the thread.

VFL player by player RD11​

Cooper Stephens (2 goals, 25 disposals, 8 tackles, 6 clearances, 4 marks)

“It was another tough game from Cooper. He had some nice numbers and played a well-balanced game. He was inside (the midfield) all day and battled really hard in there so full credit to him.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back