Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Need him to dominate BH first. Confident he will, and then will only be a matter of time until he debuts.
Exactly. I expect him to debut this year even if he isn’t a regular best 22. You just know he is going to push himself to get to that level as soon as he can.

I think his elite/weapon is supposed to be his aerial work & his intercept marking.

One of the criticisms made by some commentators of DGB in his junior career was that he could have intercepted more - his stats weren't that high for intercept marks/possessions. But junior stats are very misleading as a general rule.

People like David King say "DGB will be an intercepting machine" - and you wonder if they just heard that and are repeating it. or making it up. Evidence has come out that Sydney were never interested in DGB at all, but that was the story during draft week.

Intercepting is good - but not that difficult to find - like Alex Keith for the WB who they got for little compared to pick 6.

It is so hard for defenders to really distinguish themselves as elite - they are rare birds, and hard to predict from where they come. Fingers crossed.

Looking at our list, a genuine KPD that is elite is exactly what we need.

Hopefully hes that for 12 plus years.

Hopefully Kozzie/Lewis can develop up the other end

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

One of the criticisms made by some commentators of DGB in his junior career was that he could have intercepted more - his stats weren't that high for intercept marks/possessions. But junior stats are very misleading as a general rule.

People like David King say "DGB will be an intercepting machine" - and you wonder if they just heard that and are repeating it. or making it up. Evidence has come out that Sydney were never interested in DGB at all, but that was the story during draft week.

Intercepting is good - but not that difficult to find - like Alex Keith for the WB who they got for little compared to pick 6.

It is so hard for defenders to really distinguish themselves as elite - they are rare birds, and hard to predict from where they come. Fingers crossed.
From Swan districts:
“Denver has the flexibility to play on tall or small forwards alike. He has quick closing speed, is a solid reader of the play and is an exceptional intercept marker.”
From Hawks:
“Standing at 195cm, the talented youngster’s strengths are his intercept marking and his ability to read the play”

So is someone pulling wool over their eyes? Tell us who are the experts saying that he’s not such a good intercept mark? What is your ‘evidence’ from Sydney saying they were never interested? Pretty clear to me that you’re just trying to cast doubt over him for some reason. I don’t care what that reason is, but just stop.

From Swan districts:
“Denver has the flexibility to play on tall or small forwards alike. He has quick closing speed, is a solid reader of the play and is an exceptional intercept marker.”
From Hawks:
“Standing at 195cm, the talented youngster’s strengths are his intercept marking and his ability to read the play”

So is someone pulling wool over their eyes? Tell us who are the experts saying that he’s not such a good intercept mark? What is your ‘evidence’ from Sydney saying they were never interested? Pretty clear to me that you’re just trying to cast doubt over him for some reason. I don’t care what that reason is, but just stop.

"It is pretty clear to me"....

You just challenged me to fact check, asking for me to provide some sources.... and then summarily concluded that my facts are wrong. Which is it? Do you believe in facts/sources or just want emotional responses?

Perhaps it is you who are trying to cast doubt.

(I don't mind being fact checked - but i will do it with you in PM and if you are not satisfied we can take it public. I don't want to bog down a thread. If you want me to back up my comments then PM me, but i expect an apology when i do back them up).

Last edited:
"It is pretty clear to me"....

You just fact checked me, asking for me to provide some sources.... and then concluded my facts are wrong. Which is it?

Perhaps it is you who are trying to cast doubt.

(I don't mind being fact checked - but i will do it with you in PM and if you are not satisfied we can take it public. I don't want to bog down a thread).
Oh, you have leaked documents from the Swans reading: “attn; Grainger-Barras intercept marking fraud. Do NOT select first round.”?

My mistake, I didn’t realise.

Oh, you have leaked documents from the Swans reading: “attn; Grainger-Barras intercept marking fraud. Do NOT select first round.”?

My mistake, I didn’t realise.

So you are trolling and got emotional

(i despise that Hawks supporters treat each other this way on this board)

Last edited:
So you are trolling and got emotional
You’re the one clearly emotional that we took ahead Denver ahead of Hollands, Perkins (or whoever it was), and now you want to post on the Hawks board about how both his junior and senior football clubs (not to mention every other club recruiter and Denver himself) have incorrectly assessed his talents (without providing any names, let alone sources).

Again, I don’t care why you aren’t prepared to be optimistic about DGB, but if you really need to suggest that we wasted pick 6 on him, I suggest you try an opposition board.

I'm happy with dgb, but let's be honest swan districts were trying 2 get him drafted, they are not independent.

Where he ends up im not sure but what I am reasonably sure is grimes was not rated a super star intercept mark at draft time, Sicily had never seen a backline at juniors so ditto, mcgovern cant say and Harris andrews I'd argue isn't but is the best one on one in the league so is not truly an intercept guy.

The comparisons are generally about what players have become at afl level not what they were at junior level.

Keith is good but not great though. There aren't too many purely lockdown defenders who are 'elite' - most of the real top tier defenders are interceptors and creators. McGovern, Andrews, Moore etc. all create a no fly zone which impacts the other team's forward entries.

Also on Keith and those okay defenders - think about the difference a real elite back would make to that Bulldogs line up or even a side like Port. Given how important a key back is to any side, very glad we went for the best rated one in the draft.

Keith is good but not great though. There aren't too many purely lockdown defenders who are 'elite' - most of the real top tier defenders are interceptors and creators. McGovern, Andrews, Moore etc. all create a no fly zone which impacts the other team's forward entries.

Also on Keith and those okay defenders - think about the difference a real elite back would make to that Bulldogs line up or even a side like Port. Given how important a key back is to any side, very glad we went for the best rated one in the draft.
So is DGB an elite lockdown type or an easy to find interceptor?

There's a big difference in having a good KPD interceptor. They're usually playing against the most dangerous fwds. So it's a double win.
First, you're nullifying the opposition's best tall.
Second, you're turning defense into attack.
P.S Sometimes clubs pick a forward to specifically spoil against such an interceptor. It's hard to achieve even this because to be a top intercepting KPD you need to be exceptional in reading the play and ball flight.
As for Denver he isn't fit enough for AFL standard yet. Provided he has a good run with injuries, compare him late in this coming season. And even more so with a solid pre season after this yr.
Everything about the kid oozes professionalism and dedication. My sincere prediction is we are going to be happy hawk supporters.

I strongly believe the natural talent combined with what appears to be a fierce determination will see this kid succeed. All the interviews I've listened to have shown a a young man very confident in his ability. I've got zero misgivings here. Looking forward to heading to Box Hill and watching him develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I strongly believe the natural talent combined with what appears to be a fierce determination will see this kid succeed. All the interviews I've listened to have shown a a young man very confident in his ability. I've got zero misgivings here. Looking forward to heading to Box Hill and watching him develop.

Very early days but I am very heartened by the fact that Logan Mcdonald was running rampant in a WAFL game up until half time. DGB was then sent to play on him in the second half and gave him an absolute bath. Seems to have a very healthy combination of natural athleticism and footy smarts. Don't think we have had this since Chris Mew.

Very early days but I am very heartened by the fact that Logan Mcdonald was running rampant in a WAFL game up until half time. DGB was then sent to play on him in the second half and gave him an absolute bath. Seems to have a very healthy combination of natural athleticism and footy smarts. Don't think we have had this since Chris Mew.
If Denver can get close to Teddy’s level that would be wonderful.

So is DGB an elite lockdown type or an easy to find interceptor?
He's an 18 year old kid we drafted as a tall back, and we are hoping 4 the best.

The lat one we drafted like him kicked six and was close enough 2 bog as a forward. But b4 then was arguably the worst drafted tall back ever.

Let kids mature b4 they play a game let alone a season.

He's an 18 year old kid we drafted as a tall back, and we are hoping 4 the best.

The lat one we drafted like him kicked six and was close enough 2 bog as a forward. But b4 then was arguably the worst drafted tall back ever.

Let kids mature b4 they play a game let alone a season.
Arguably the worst drafted tall back ever? You know he's 20 years old and struggled to get on the park yeah? hahaha

I was at that game.
He gave the whole Perth forward line a bath.

Before the draft I was hoping we could draft Logan, only because I thought we had no chance of getting Denver.

Just like Chris Mew's was, I am pretty confident that it will only be a matter of time before Denver's magnet gets glued to the team board.

Actually I am not too confident if Mew ever had magnet.
If they did use a whiteboard back then it was put on with permanent marker.
Chances are there is at least one old black board somewhere with Mew painted onto it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back