Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t reckon he’ll play too many more games for box hill. Can’t wait to see him and Day back in. Sounds like they’ll both be there post bye

As much as I am excited to see DGB play for Hawthorn, I hope he spends most of the year at Box Hill.
He is stick thin and yet has no fear... which is an issue at AFL level. Teams may target him as they did with Jack Watts... and we all know how that turned out.

Give him the old “Michael Tuck” apprentice-ship as the Dogs are doing with Ugle-Hagen.

DGB, Brockman (looks to have everything), S Mitchell (not yet seen), Jeka (impressive), Reaves (also very impressive) and even Downie (struggling to get involved but with all the tools) and Maginniss (learning the Cam Ling / Jack Steele role). Let them play together at VFL level as did the core of Geelong’s AFL premiership VFL team in 2006. ... which led to their late 2000s dominance.

Sammy as coach is the perfect person for this group. He was not selected in his draft year and then improved his game to make himself impossible to not draft. He has always been about improvement.

Give the boys who have been for some time in the system the time to show their growth = Kosi (looks a solid prospect), Hanrahan (great speed with no ”touch“ as yet), Morrison (inconsistent), TOB (inconsistent), Lewis (needs to become a power forward), Ceglar (inconsistent), Cousins (disposal) and Moore (should be on a wing).

I say again, I hope we do not expose our youth for publicity purposes or give support to the short-sighted.

Let Denver Grwinger-Barras grow the shoulders that can bear the weight of our expectations before we ask him to cope with the rigours of AFL football.

If DGB and Day both come back and have an impact, the club will have a whole different vibe to it.
Youth always does this, esp youth that are go getters........

Imo, fixing this midfield is the easy part, compared to finding key forwards and key backs - we still need more young key backs on the list. We have a youngish ruckman and some quicker pocket/mids - yep another couple of drafts and who knows - it's relative of course to what other clubs have built and are building, but I still believe we have the best coach and a couple new assistants that will gel and get us off the canvas. Plus a new recruiting manager - it's all new and shinny except for the old master just plotting away until he has the tools to play with.

The only thing not to be positive about are results - double edged sword for the coach from the posters out to find anything to pot him on - if he wins he robs our draft hand - if he keeps losing he's useless - lucky he's a strong willed man.

As much as I am excited to see DGB play for Hawthorn, I hope he spends most of the year at Box Hill.
He is stick thin and yet has no fear... which is an issue at AFL level. Teams may target him as they did with Jack Watts... and we all know how that turned out.

Give him the old “Michael Tuck” apprentice-ship as the Dogs are doing with Ugle-Hagen.

DGB, Brockman (looks to have everything), S Mitchell (not yet seen), Jeka (impressive), Reaves (also very impressive) and even Downie (struggling to get involved but with all the tools) and Maginniss (learning the Cam Ling / Jack Steele role). Let them play together at VFL level as did the core of Geelong’s AFL premiership VFL team in 2006. ... which led to their late 2000s dominance.

Sammy as coach is the perfect person for this group. He was not selected in his draft year and then improved his game to make himself impossible to not draft. He has always been about improvement.

Give the boys who have been for some time in the system the time to show their growth = Kosi (looks a solid prospect), Hanrahan (great speed with no ”touch“ as yet), Morrison (inconsistent), TOB (inconsistent), Lewis (needs to become a power forward), Ceglar (inconsistent), Cousins (disposal) and Moore (should be on a wing).

I say again, I hope we do not expose our youth for publicity purposes or give support to the short-sighted.

Let Denver Grwinger-Barras grow the shoulders that can bear the weight of our expectations before we ask him to cope with the rigours of AFL football.

Fine to let him play at Box Hill level, but Jack Watts definitely did not have no-fear to go along with his slightness of body. If any of that was an issue for us we would have done the same with Day in 2020.

If his performances bear out a debut we should give him one, if they don't then we keep him back. No need to overcomplicate it.

I think with the dogs and Ugle-Hagan, they're not giving him a debut because his performances aren't demanding one. People look at his 5 goal haul in the second round of the VFL but he's not kicked many since.

He is a strange case. Normally that more ecto body would have a lean toward good endurance (not always). But damn he is very very slight. Needs some serious strength and size increase in the hips, bum and legs. And a more long term approach to size increase in the upper body.
Gonna be a while before his body reaches it’s ideal size and shape.
I have been told he has actually got potential in the gym to gain size though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a strange case. Normally that more ecto body would have a lean toward good endurance (not always). But damn he is very very slight. Needs some serious strength and size increase in the hips, bum and legs. And a more long term approach to size increase in the upper body.
Gonna be a while before his body reaches it’s ideal size and shape.
I have been told he has actually got potential in the gym to gain size though.
He might not be an ectomorph though. He could have just shot up in height but hasn't filled out yet. He's only 19 after all. He also may not have been on the right diet or weights program before he was drafted - if he was on one at all.

Nik Cox is even skinnier. And having immediate impact.
Different role though. Plus Cox has one hell of a tank already. Day is another one who could got away with playing an offensive half back role. His elite footy brain was utilised and his lack of size wasn’t able to be exposed.

You can get away being light on playing wing. Can’t get away with it playing a key defensive post. DGB won’t be able to defend 1 on 1 until he puts on some size.

He might not be an ectomorph though. He could have just shot up in height but hasn't filled out yet. He's only 19 after all. He also may not have been on the right diet or weights program before he was drafted - if he was on one at all.

well he certainly ain’t all ecto, rarely is those who are all. But at 19 you can easily deduce where he is at naturally.

Different role though. Plus Cox has one hell of a tank already. Day is another one who could got away with playing an offensive half back role. His elite footy brain was utilised and his lack of size wasn’t able to be exposed.

You can get away being light on playing wing. Can’t get away with it playing a key defensive post. DGB won’t be able to defend 1 on 1 until he puts on some size.
He'll take Hartley's role. Bango.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back