Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

I put forward recently that we don't have an enforcer in the team, this kid will make everybody around him stand tall in the not-to-distant future.

I’d like to see Grainger-Barras in one of the higher jumper numbers next year. Typically most of our first round picks start off with a number in the 30 or 40s. Most of them have changed their jumper numbers during their second year.

I mean, it's him, Moore, Brockman or Reeves to get the 9. I reckon he'd be favourite.

Would love to see him work with CJ to help CJ build a little more mongrel. The way he, CJ and Sicily throw themselves at the contest will be so much fun to watch. If they can also be hard nuts that don't take a backwards step it would be a big step towards our next flag.

Who was he matched up on against Melbourne? Was it Tom McDonald or was that TOB?

Who was he matched up on against Melbourne? Was it Tom McDonald or was that TOB?

Yeah TOB was McDonald.

He mostly had Neale-Bullen, which is what we will see this year and next.

In time he will obviously move onto the key forwards, but Carlton ****ed Weitering early trying to get him to play on a key forward. It was only after they shifted Casboult back, with Jones, for 1.5 seasons that he really started to come on.

As frustrating as Hartigan is, I think we will see him and Frost continue to take the key forwards next year as we get experience into DGB and Sicily gains confidence post ACL.

Yeah TOB was McDonald.

In time he will obviously move onto the key forwards, but Carlton f’ed Weitering early trying to get him to play on a key forward. It was only after they shifted Casboult back, with Jones, for 1.5 seasons that he really started to come on.

As frustrating as Hartigan is, I think we will see him and Frost continue to take the key forwards next year as we get experience into DGB and Sicily gains confidence post ACL.
Thanks. Just confirming my suspicion on the draft board that knightmare is actually blind. He was talking about DGB being perhaps not in the best 12 picks from last year. Said he played ok on McDonald, but I was pretty sure it was TOb. More reason to take his draft analysis with a massive grain of salt.

Yeah TOB was McDonald.

In time he will obviously move onto the key forwards, but Carlton f’ed Weitering early trying to get him to play on a key forward. It was only after they shifted Casboult back, with Jones, for 1.5 seasons that he really started to come on.

Spot on, let DGB keep growing confidence. He will eventually get the bigger forwards. His strength at the moment is his elite ability to read the play, and by playing him on lesser forwards he can impact other contests. I like having Hartigan in the team as he is a bit like a body guard to the younger guys and I think he has played some good footy this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was hartigans banana along the boundary under pressure and keeps it in, he has grown as the year has gone on.

Brings a hard edge of support for DGB as he runs around like a mad man
Off the foot I thought * me he kicked it dead out on the full, but when it zoomed out I had to give the bloke props. Was a great choice of kick.

Thanks. Just confirming my suspicion on the draft board that knightmare is actually blind. He was talking about DGB being perhaps not in the best 12 picks from last year. Said he played ok on McDonald, but I was pretty sure it was TOb. More reason to take his draft analysis with a massive grain of salt.
I have had a crack at Knightmare twice regarding DGB. The first time he labelled him as being potentially competent at AFL level (for f...s sake Hartigan is competent) and the 2nd was leaving him out of his so called top 4 from last years draft which included JUH, Thilthorpe, Cox and McDonald. Like some people they can have a point of view and hate to be proven wrong.

Skillful, quality in the air, great reader of the play, athletic and has mongrel. A excellent combination of talents.
The reason I love DGB and Day so much beside their obvious talent is their overwhelming desire to win and courage that belies their light frames. Both players have infectious personalities and leadership qualities written all over them.

The reason I love DGB and Day so much beside their obvious talent is their overwhelming desire to win and courage that belies their light frames. Both players have infectious personalities and leadership qualities written all over them.
Amazing how well they take the hits considering their body shape.

Amazing how well they take the hits considering their body shape.

To me that's never been an issue. Some of the toughest and most durable footy players, and people in general, are wiry. Muscularity doesn't necessarily make someone tough or strong, actually in a lot of cases the workouts required to build show muscles don't strengthen tendons and other secondary muscle groups.

Tough is more a mindset than muscle.

Spot on, let DGB keep growing confidence. He will eventually get the bigger forwards. His strength at the moment is his elite ability to read the play, and by playing him on lesser forwards he can impact other contests. I like having Hartigan in the team as he is a bit like a body guard to the younger guys and I think he has played some good footy this year.
I have had a crack at Knightmare twice regarding DGB. The first time he labelled him as being potentially competent at AFL level (for f...s sake Hartigan is competent) and the 2nd was leaving him out of his so called top 4 from last years draft which included JUH, Thilthorpe, Cox and McDonald. Like some people they can have a point of view and hate to be proven wrong.
My opinion, KM is quite possibly the worst talent ID guy on Bigfooty. I think at times he doesn't watch any football. He compared Will Day to Kade Simpson...Really, I can't think of a worst comparison. He think Jack Lukosious is the greatest player to pull on boots, besides Logan McDonald. He is a very clever writer though and has very strong views, issue is most of them are wrong. I'd be very surpirsed if DGB isn't an absolutely elite player because he has the intangible qualities that make a player special..He has the will, drive, leadership and he hates to be beaten. It's all clearly evident but it doesn't show up in the stats so it won't register by Knightmare's tunnel visioned take on the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back