Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Denver Grainger-Barras

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that he mentioned (obviously after being asked a question) that the Box Hill and Hawthorn systems "didn't really align that much."

It's something a few of us noticed anyway, but to hear it from a player that played both in the seniors and in the VFL is interesting indeed. It bodes well for the way Mitchell will try and have play this season.

Also, it's obviously been said so many times, but it needs to be said again - DGB seems like such a quality character.

Interesting that he mentioned (obviously after being asked a question) that the Box Hill and Hawthorn systems "didn't really align that much."

It's something a few of us noticed anyway, but to hear it from a player that played both in the seniors and in the VFL is interesting indeed. It bodes well for the way Mitchell will try and have play this season.

Also, it's obviously been said so many times, but it needs to be said again - DGB seems like such a quality character.
No doubt he is a talent, like Ward etc but we have definitely gone for great characters which is a good route

No doubt he is a talent, like Ward etc but we have definitely gone for great characters which is a good route

I think we've hit the nail on the head in the previous two drafts.

Character, Leadership, Drive.. are self-fuelling traits within a club - you get enough of these types and the whole group's standards are carried along through together.

It's almost a secondary consideration to other characteristics at draft time. So, so important it seems to ensure the culture and mentality of the playing group is one of a premiership-winning side.

It's something a few of us noticed anyway, but to hear it from a player that played both in the seniors and in the VFL is interesting indeed.

Hmmmmm.

Its interesting could it be the reason between the players disconnect. I mean players coming in from Box hill really struggled to connect with other players in the AFL group and vice versa. This is especially so in the midfield. Perhaps having the same plan at box hill and afl level might help us this year. It doesn't make any sense to have two different plans.

Its interesting could it be the reason between the players disconnect. I mean players coming in from Box hill really struggled to connect with other players in the AFL group and vice versa. This is especially so in the midfield. Perhaps having the same plan at box hill and afl level might help us this year. It doesn't make any sense to have two different plans.

I have the feeling it was less about the overall plans and more about the confidence placed in the players in those plans. We all know Clarko had his core players and his structures, so when kids came up from the VFL it wasn't that the game plan had changed, they were just asked to play a different role around Clarko's core. It's an underrated thing for a player to have a position and a role, and the confidence to know it's theirs.

Which players struggled to come up from Box Hill? Newcombe and Nash killed it in the middle. Bramble played as if he had played 100 games in the seniors...Morris struggled but I'm not sure that is game plan related. I'd say the senior afl players struggled the most in the middle and none of them played even one game at box hill :p

Based on what DGB said it seems that Mitchell is a coach that wants players to play to their strengths - for DGB he was told to, "just go and mark the ball."

It sounds like in contrast the senior team was overly rigid. I mean we all saw that happening for a few seasons now, they seemed over coached to me.

They had freedom in the VFL, and I imagine that was more enjoyable for the players too.

Hopefully Mitchell continues with that ethos.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said similar in the podcast I posted a couple of pages back too.

Pretty funny he said Ned Long is a good quality country lad.... (from the Fitzroy JFC). Obviously thinking of Butler or Serong
I am sure it was just a slip of the tongue

I dunno. I live in the area. It's possible to walk as far as 50 metres and not see another soul in that time. Provides opportunity for introspection.

:cool:

Based on what DGB said it seems that Mitchell is a coach that wants players to play to their strengths - for DGB he was told to, "just go and mark the ball."

It sounds like in contrast the senior team was overly rigid. I mean we all saw that happening for a few seasons now, they seemed over coached to me.

They had freedom in the VFL, and I imagine that was more enjoyable for the players too.

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to see that Clarko’s game plan wasn’t about taking the game on but rather about not getting pumped by huge margins. If Sammy’s game plan is more that run and gun take it on at every opportunity then I think some around here need to prepare themselves that we are likely to have a game here and there where we lose by a big margin.

It didn’t take a rocket scientist to see that Clarko’s game plan wasn’t about taking the game on but rather about not getting pumped by huge margins. If Sammy’s game plan is more that run and gun take it on at every opportunity then I think some around here need to prepare themselves that we are likely to have a game here and there where we lose by a big margin.
I’ll take some bigger losses as a developing team if we at least try to attack and kick 100 points each game when we have the ball.

We’ve played such a negative style with ball in hand that I can’t wait to see us take the game on.

Keep our structures when the opposition has the ball. But at least have us be a more exciting team to watch instead of the Ross Lyon like way we’ve played.

Just be careful not to go full Teague... never go full Teague

From memory that’s how Clarko use to coach in his early days!

I’ll take some bigger losses as a developing team if we at least try to attack and kick 100 points each game when we have the ball.

We’ve played such a negative style with ball in hand that I can’t wait to see us take the game on.

Keep our structures when the opposition has the ball. But at least have us be a more exciting team to watch instead of the Ross Lyon like way we’ve played.
I am all for taking the game on too. I was just pointing out that the negative game style likely saved us from losing some games by only 4-5 goals rather than 10-12 goals.

I am all for taking the game on too. I was just pointing out that the negative game style likely saved us from losing some games by only 4-5 goals rather than 10-12 goals.
I agree, our negative gamestyle definitely saved some big losses.

But I do query what we learned in those games. Hodge cost us a couple of games taking risky kicks (including against Geelong in 08). By taking those risks he learned how to take the game on.

I’d like to see DGB and our other youngsters learn by taking those same risks. I’d love to see them play without fear. Which is something we haven’t seen enough of.

Made some interesting comments about his personality too. Intimated that it was a bit full on for some at first

Clarko refused to play Nash in position until Sammy took more control at the end of the season.
The disconnect was obvious early in the season.
DGB didn’t debut until round 15 and then played a block of four games from round 17 to 20. All the major positive changes to the way we played at afl level came in after the bye. I’m not sure dgb can possibly comment on the early season differences first hand. He is talking about something that was still happening late in the season. Maybe Conor Nash specifically but it sounds more like the way they were coached to play than the position of one player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back